Free Member
Nov 9, 2014
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Fiat CI Carioca
Exp
None
Just been out to check on van and noticed distortion on bathroom wall?? On further investigation all the back wall of van seems spongy.
Really gutted to see this and now need advice as to what we need to do next?
I fitted the cover onto the MH last Wednesday so its covered. Also got a fan heater on the go inside.

We were planning on our first proper trip in the MH in February but at the minute just worried as to what to do next? I suspect this has been a problem from before we bought the van and further indication that we should have sought some better advice from people in the know. ie some one with a damp meter.

Any advice would be great

Cheers in advance
Rob

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Rob, Not as easy as said...

Most M.homes & Caravans were made from "Sandwich" construction from 198?

And it is not as easy as sounds to just pull/take down affected area...

Try a phone call to some of these =

Broken Link Removed
http://www.caravanrepairs.net/

And a list here =

Broken Link Removed

Good luck, and hope you get it sorted.. :xThumb:

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
... so picking up on another point in OP, should @Rob take this MH on his planned February trip? or should he get the problem sorted first?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
... so picking up on another point in OP, should @Rob take this MH on his planned February trip? or should he get the problem sorted first?

Only a few week`s away.... If it were me, I would seal any iffy looking joint`s...

And get away......... It`s not gong to fall to pieces over night.. :xThumb:

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I will second what everyone else is saying. Don't be too gutted, you might almost say, quite lucky you found it. At the end of the day, almost everything is repairable, it is only the cost that varies.

I'd be inclined to have the problem repaired, keeping all evidence (quotes and bills) for any possible future legal action against the previous owner.

Finally, get out and have your getaway, I really can't see that it is going to exacerbate the problem.

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I will second what everyone else is saying. Don't be too gutted, you might almost say, quite lucky you found it. At the end of the day, almost everything is repairable, it is only the cost that varies.

I'd be inclined to have the problem repaired, keeping all evidence (quotes and bills) for any possible future legal action against the previous owner.

Finally, get out and have your getaway, I really can't see that it is going to exacerbate the problem.
Wot 'e sed. ............................ I see a pattern developing here :xlaugh:

Upvote 0

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Rob, I think you do have some rights/protection even though you bought from a private seller.
Did they tell you about the problem! Did they tell you everything was OK and no damp issues!
Anyway, get some professional advice on cause, it may have been there for a long time (if so get that in writting and approch the seller and see if he is prepared to do anything). I would also consider talking to Citizens Advice if it turns out to be a long term problem and expensive to repair. The days are gone when you could sell a lemon and expect to get away with it.
Best of luck.

Correct BUT you have to have asked a specific question such as "does or has the van suffered from water ingress" (or words to that effect) If you didn't then I suggest your stuffed as far as the seller is concerned AND was there a witness to your asking questions I would also try and find out if the seller was a dealer masquerading as a private seller as with defective vehicles some less than honest dealers do this in the hope there will be no comeback

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rob

Free Member
Nov 9, 2014
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Fiat CI Carioca
Exp
None
Cheers for all the replies everyone
As mentioned it will be repairable and it is only money!!
Just peed off as we had spent a lot (to us) on the purchase in the first place and by the sounds of things its going to be expensive to repair.
We are going to go away still in February and will get it looked at when we get back. In the meantime it will stay under the cover.
Once again many thanks for all the replies
Rob

Upvote 0

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Just as an after thought...

Ring the guy up, you bought it from, or if local nip in and tell him what you have found..

He may say bog of and tuff,,,, and again he may be surprised and offer a little towards the repair..

Worth a try,,,, not all people are con merchant`s... :xsmile:

Enjoy your first trip ... :xThumb:

Upvote 0

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Rob,

Sorry that your venture into the motorhome life has turned a bit sour, it will get better.

Glad to see that you are still going head with your planned trip in February. Keeping the van covered will undoubtedly help keep further water penetration at bay. However you need to try and dry out the interior in the meantime, do you have hook up available whilst the van is covered, if so I would buy a small dehumidifier and extract as much moisture from the inside as possible before Febuary, it will make the trip away then much better. If you just leave it the van will feel, and probably smell, damp and will spoil your enjoyment.

All the best

John

Upvote 0

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Just peed off as we had spent a lot (to us) on the purchase in the first place and by the sounds of things its going to be expensive to repair.
We are going to go away still in February and will get it looked at when we get back. In the meantime it will stay under the cover.
Rob

Sounds like you are keeping your chin up which us the main thing.

As far as repairs, if you have time and are willing to learn as you go they are cheap, if you have cash to throw at someone who knows what they are doing they are quick. if you have neither then you could be in for a long haul first getting the issue diagnosed then fixed and later making good the damage caused.

Going away in Feb I would advise you need to know the cause before you go. After you know the cause you can choose whether going away is likely to make it worse or not.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If it is 'sandwich' construction it will comprise inner plywood, foam core, and aluminium or GRP outer. This type of construction cannot easily absorb water because the foam is closed-cell (which behaves as more or less solid plastic). Within the sandwich will be areas where the foam is replaced by timber battens - normally where a solid attachment to the wall is needed. Solid attachments are needed where the panel adjoins another (at the corner and roof edges) and where, for example, an internal wall or the floor is attached. This timber and the internal plywood can and does absorb moisture from leaks at external joints. Left long enough the internal battens rot and the plywood inner skin will detach from the foam and any battens. Very careful removal of the inner skin will let you check. There is also the possibility of relatively minor water ingress causing inner plywood delaminaton only which can be rather easier to repair once the leak has been stopped.

Another form of construction last used on rear and roof panels comprised an outer skin attached to an inner timber framework and an inner plywood skin. The strength of any roof or wall constructed in this way was reliant on the integrity of the timber frame. Voids between frame members was filled with insulation - often fibreglass of the type used for loft insulation.

The most difficult part of any repair job is determining where the water is getting in so your first step, as has been suggested already, is to visit a trusted repair shop for a damp test. This can be used to pinpoint the leak. Your next steps will be determined by what is found and the type of repair required. A decent repair outfit will give you this information.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rob

Free Member
Nov 9, 2014
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Fiat CI Carioca
Exp
None
Im quite hands on with things so really wouldnt mind having a go myself , just need to know where to start ??

Cheers
Rob

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Rob
My 2005 motorhome bought just over a year ago has needed a major part for the blown air heating (paid for under warranty & installed by me, had a fridge failure caused by a blocked jet (fixed by me), had another heater failure unconnected to the first but out of warranty and likely to cost £250+ for the part (to fix before next use), and clutch slip - at 56000 miles - (ditto). Non could have been spotted by the dealer who sold it or by me however thoroughly I'd gone over it. Just the luck of the draw. It's a good van though despite the teething troubles.

Just thought it might cheer you up :)

Upvote 0

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Rob

Great attitude Rob :xThumb:

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Rob all is repairable. Once you have sourced the water leak. Wall boards can be purchased from magnum motorhomes in Grimsby. You will be surprised how basic the construction is once you get behind it. Any advice you need when you start just post pictures of parts you are not sure of and someone will come to your help.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
It's only 2x2 or less and plywood , how difficult can it be
Try getting the 2 x 2 off the outer .06 mm Ali skin without going through it. then ask how difficult it can be :xgrin: yeah it's easy if you know what you are doing and have all the tools I reserve judgement until I see pics:xwink:

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Try getting the 2 x 2 off the outer .06 mm Ali skin without going through it. then ask how difficult it can be :xgrin: yeah it's easy if you know what you are doing and have all the tools I reserve judgement until I see pics:xwink:
I'm no expert and bow to your superior knowledge and I'm only a bodgeing farmer but if I was doing it I wouldn't try to get the two by two out just put another one up the side of the old one, iv seen plenty damp old caravans and never seen any you couldn't put right.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
You are of course quiet right they all can be put right and yes you can simply stick more timber on the side provided you have the room and that it is not against a door etc where original has to be removed/ cut away etc ///just stating without seeing we are all guessing
Terry

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Yes, I was just thinking the same thing. Too "Judgemental" in our book.........we can all make mistakes and sometimes they can be costly if you're new to motorhoming........have you never made any mistakes yourself Judgemental?:xangry:

How many times do I have to say it was a general statement nothing to do with the OP. Been at this a looong time and stories like this pop up all the time. do you buy a house without a survey and checks, motorhomes probably the second most expensive purchase you make, and people take them on face value and dont even bother to look at the roof? If I was the OP I would be looking around locally to rent some space temporarily to get van under cover...

we need to see photos if he wants proper help and an idea of the extent of damage, then people with experience of rot can give more meaningful help...all else is guess work as no one has a clue whats involved.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
How many times do I have to say it was a general statement nothing to do with the OP. Been at this a looong time and stories like this pop up all the time. do you buy a house without a survey and checks, motorhomes probably the second most expensive purchase you make, and people dont bother to look at the roof? If I was the OP I would be looking around locally to rent some space temporarily to get van under cover...

we need to see photos if he wants proper help and a n idea of the extent of damage then people with experience of rot can give more meaningful help...all else is guess work as no one has a clue whats involved.
Definitely wants getting under a barn or somewhere where it's dry but airy , a plastic cover is just holding the damp in and spreading it about , BUT, we have no evidence yet that it is even damp, could have been once and been sealed but once the ply has come away it's not going to magicly go back again on its own.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back