LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Hi all, for the 2nd year running our 7 month tour has to be abandoned and we now only have 15 days to tour, is it worth heading for Spain or Portugal or should we stick to France/Belgium/Holland?

Last year it was my health, this year the Boss Lady gave 2 months notice, ferry booked for 28 April, only to be told they have lost their contract and as they have appreciated her work ethic, demeanour, etc, they have set up a healthy redundancy package for her, but this will only happen if she is there at contract end, late August.

Having retired last October myself, and spending a small fortune on getting the van up to scratch, we are both desperate to get away, but as I don't like to drive more than 3 to 4 hours a day, am the only driver and don't like boring motorway journeys, is it worth the effort?

We will be heading back over as soon as the redundancy takes effect until late November, but advice from more experienced travellers would be appreciated.

Hymie.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
At 3-4 hours a day it will take you 4 days or more to get down to Spain so that's at least 8 days out of your 15. Really depends what kind of break you want. If it is sun then I don't think you have much option but to spend a week in Spain. On thother hand, if it a touring break you are after and don't mind the cooler weather I would stick to France.
I hope you enjoy whatever you decide to do (y)

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
We had a good 25 days touring Netherlands and Northern Germany in Oct/Nov. Lots of good places to stop as listed by CamperContact, many free or very cheap. We did fork out €15 for a couple of marinas (Almere Haven [twice, we liked it so much!], Lauwersoog), which had copious hot water for showers and tremendous views over water. Little cities (Gouda, Harlingen, some others I can't remember) had free tourist info which offered interesting walks.

In Germany we liked Lingen, Buckeberg, Nienburg (best!).

In total, just over 1000 miles including getting to Harwich for the ferry (booked thro' CCC - better price and a flexi upgrade than website).

Spain seems a non-starter given your driving desires (but it will be warmer) - Gordon

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I guess a lot depends on when you are thinking of going, we have just gone round France in 14 nights, but driving every day, vowed never again

I don't think unless you use motorways and pay you wont get many days if any if you want to get far down Spain, we have been three times to friends near Granada, sounds like we drive more or less like you want to and it takes us 5/6 nights to get there, you would hardly have arrived and need to set off back

If you are going May / June time of later, plenty warm enough in France for us, if it is sun you are after

Wherever or whenever you do go, enjoy the drive and think of September, it will soon be here :)(y)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Go Portsmouth Santander if you can't drive many hours,,24 hour crossing and your in Spain..BUSBY.:D:D

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Re book ferry for later.
Tour the UK for 15 days.
Then after your good lady stops go for as long as you want.
And as far as you want.

Mel

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I too hate long boring drives so I simply take plenty of breaks: drive 2h, cuppa 30min, drive 2h, lunch / doze 1h, drive 2h, stop nearest Aire. Start again tomorrow. I use Aires under these circumstances so I don't waste time finding a site off-route & travelling back to my chosen route in the morning. I also find I can go to bed earlier than normal which means I wake earlier = early start = more cuppa breaks. Assuming 60mph average (when driving) you'll be in Spain on day 3 (from Calais). Alternatively use Santander ferry & you're there when it docks.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Re book ferry for later.
Tour the UK for 15 days.
Then after your good lady stops go for as long as you want.
And as far as you want.

Mel

Hi Hymie, that's some really good advice from Mel, Spain and Portugal will still be waiting for you to explore them when your wife finishes work. Bide your time, plan you trip and enjoy it at your leisure when the time comes.
Brisey.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you really want a break abroad I'd stick to France/Holland/Belgium for just 15 days - April/May can be good so have a shuftie at the long range weather forecast just before you leave and decide which way to go.

I'd certainly forget about going too far down though, we've done France in 2 weeks going down to the bottom and back up, and believe me it's not fun as you just end up driving most of the time rather than having a holiday.

As your wife's employer wants her to stay on until the end of August could she 'negotiate' an extra week so you can at least have 3 weeks?

OP
OP
Hymie

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated.

Decided to go with the 3 weeks in France.

Outbound was booked for 29 April, changed that to 23 April and got a 2 euro refund, had a return journey booked for 18 August as we were popping back for a week to take the grandkids on holiday as we do every year, so changed that for a return on 14 May for 17 euro more, will change the return in August for our departure date when known and keep the November return a is.

We will have a wander down the coast, make our way inland making our way to the Kuekenhof for the flower show via Luxembourg, and on to Breskens for some R&R at the Roompot site at Zeeland, nice indoor wave pool there, and maybe a quick stop at Ypres for the last post ceremony, bit of wilding by the canal or in the car park at Lidl if we can't get in to Jeugstadion

Thanks again.

Hymie

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Have you thought about storing the Motorhome in France or Spain and flying back. We have successfully done this when short on time and like you don't like to drive long boring motorway journeys simply to get home.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Have you thought about storing the Motorhome in France or Spain and flying back. We have successfully done this when short on time and like you don't like to drive long boring motorway journeys simply to get home.
I know people do this but anyone thinking of doing so should check the situation out with their insurer as many will NOT cover the vehicle if you are not with it.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
If it was me with only 15 days I would stay in UK, save the ferry/tunnel money and wait until 'boss lady' has retired and plan a long tour, again, for next year!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back