Gushing grey water (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hello all, not the usual grey water thread, but we do indeed have a gush, or we did until the tank ran out

Luckily we were home with a hose connected to drain

I can not now close the valve, it is connected via what looks like bike hand brake cable kind of linkage about 2m long

The handle I normally pull to open the valve will now push in but springs out, even when the handle is pushed in the valve is still open

Those that know me already know I don't 'do' when it comes to fixing things, but I might actually have a go at this, presuming somebody tells me what I need to buy and how to fit it :whistle:

Actually already thinking it will have to go to a workshop, unless anybody thinks I might be something simple that I can fix :D

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi David

I don't know your system but it sounds like there should be a spring that isn't there anymore, go on get in there and get dirty you might even fix something.

When it worked "proper like" did you have to hold the handle out or did it lock I some way.

Martin

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Thanks Martin

The handle pulled out to open the valve and stayed there by friction, pushing the handle back in closed the valve (or used to at least

Logic would say it has become disconnected at the valve end, or broken in that same general area

David

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MrsBB

Free Member
Jun 14, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
10 years after many years tugging
Oh no...... Least I'll know what's happened in future! Hope you manage to sort it.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
When you push the handle in and it springs back out suggests it's still connected to something just that something is now too tight to move, as in too tight or has not got the help of a spring was my thinking, I could be completely wrong.

Sure somebody will be along who knows more than me.

Martin

Sep 21, 2013
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
Have you tried the first thing when most things stop working..............A good spray all round it with WD40.
Try spraying all around the valve and pushing the bit the cable attaches to

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Have been underneath to ave a look you

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I have given it a good looking at, but not been underneath, I can see where the cable runs to at the outlet from the grey tank where the valve must be situated

I will get under tomorrow and have a closer look and maybe a prod, but I am more likely to make it worse than fix it, unless I get very lucky

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I have given it a good looking at, but not been underneath, I can see where the cable runs to at the outlet from the grey tank where the valve must be situated

I will get under tomorrow and have a closer look and maybe a prod, but I am more likely to make it worse than fix it, unless I get very lucky

If it's operated by a Bowden cable it sounds like the cable outer has become detached at one end or the other or the outer is stretched/unravelling. I could be just that the valve is sticky and the cable isn't "man enough" to push it back closed. Bowdens work best in tension application although a rigid cored one can push as well as pull.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
they tend to be similar in operation to a bike brake dont they? with a return spring to close the valve as the lever is pushed across. it may just be the spring has popped off, or the shutter on the valve is jammed

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Those that know me already know I don't 'do' when it comes to fixing things, but I might actually have a go at this, presuming somebody tells me what I need to buy and how to fit it :whistle:

If it is a blade valve, like an RV, these often stick and might need replacing every ten years or so. The US parts are pretty easy to replace, but no idea how European equivalents would be. Normally, a sudden sticking is due to foreign matter (i.e. toilet paper or other foreign body) blocking the blade from fully closing. In this case, you may be able to dislodge the blockage by using a high pressure hose up the outlet.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
If it is a blade valve, like an RV, these often stick and might need replacing every ten years or so. The US parts are pretty easy to replace, but no idea how European equivalents would be. Normally, a sudden sticking is due to foreign matter (i.e. toilet paper or other foreign body) blocking the blade from fully closing. In this case, you may be able to dislodge the blockage by using a high pressure hose up the outlet.

Thanks for that, I think it will be a blade valve, but probably only a small one compared to RV's, I think the pipe size is 1.5 or 2", it is only grey water, we have a separate black tank

But thinking about it we had added a potion to clear the grey tank before leaving site today, that suddenly makes sense, maybe a lump fat has come loose and got stuck at the valve, I will refill water tomorrow and run hot water through

I will also see if I can see what is fixed to what tomorrow and hope to push the valve closed from outside, the pipe has a 90 degree bend near the end that will make jetting quite hard

David(y)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Just leave it open like I do.

The amount of time you save not having to faff around emptying it you wouldn't believe.

It leaves more time to look for somewhere discreet to dump the cassette.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
013.JPG

I have taken a few photos but can only upload this one, all the other say file too big, I have now identified that the cable outer is detached as suggested by Tim (thanks), I have also discovered the whole thing looks to be a massive overkill

The cable goes about 1m in total, including quite a sharp bend, it looks like a real job to change and part probably only available via Hymer

So what do you think to me cutting the pipe in the top photo between the bracket and the 45 degree bend, then fitting a decent ball valve, it is quite easy to get at to fit and then use, seems a much better way to fix the problem, if it ever got blocked I would have a half chance of poking something in from the outside

Not too sure about the pipe size, looks to read 1"1/4 and 40? mm, I know from work that metric / imperial are measured internally and externally, so is it 40mm OD and 11/4" ID?

Anybody got any better ideas about this?

014.JPG

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi David look at ball valves
Broken Link Removed
that should do the trick -put one in line and leave the cable one open
terry

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
If it's operated by a Bowden cable it sounds like the cable outer has become detached at one end or the other or the outer is stretched/unravelling. I could be just that the valve is sticky and the cable isn't "man enough" to push it back closed. Bowdens work best in tension application although a rigid cored one can push as well as pull.

I have found that the outer is detached at the handle end, so form your knowledge is that mendable or will it need a change of cable

See above post, to me it looks a big job to change the cable and it will still be a bad way to do the job IMHO, unless the cables can be mended it would then probably be a quicker fix

David

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi David look at ball valves
Broken Link Removed
that should do the trick -put one in line and leave the cable one open
terry

Thanks Terry

It is nice to have your approval, seemed like a good idea when I looked underneath, no idea why Hymer did what they did

Ordered valve, hope it is 11/4", I'll be up to see you with MH and valve in hand :D(y)

David

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I''ll remember to pack a hacksaw ;)
terry

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I have only gone and fixed it myself :rolleyes:

It doesn't stick out beyond body, looks on this photo like it does, but wheels are recessed on my Hymer

No idea quite why Hymer made is complicated in the first place

new valve reduced size.jpg

and note valve set in correct position for travel :whistle:

Thanks for input and advice (y)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
very good David (y)Satisfying doing a good job yourself ;)Hope Bev kept you supplied with coffee (y)
terry

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
very good David (y)Satisfying doing a good job yourself ;)Hope Bev kept you supplied with coffee (y)
terry

It was and is, thanks

Bev did coffee, then beer, not sure if I am proud or sad, but Bev sorted out my final problem, not having enough pipe to refit a bend

Why do we need a bend? she says, 'because it had one before' say I

Why do we need a bend? she repeats, I pause

Can we not do without? she asks, I stay paused already realising she is of course completely right

Could we not just fit the bend if we need it? she adds, I am still stuck on pause, but now realise not only is she right, she also has the next issue covered

Decided I am proud and more than a bit lucky to have her (y)

David (and Bev) ;)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Nothing like a woman to keep you grounded and keeping an eye on your wanting stuff but not needing it ;)
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back