MITHRANDIR
Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
So peeps, arrived at the Millau end of the tarn, booked onto a site for the night

View from under our awning, and very fine it is too.
image.jpg

Camping le papillon, very friendly host, speaks perfect English.
Site is terraced so may not be suitable for huge vans but I see no problem with A class ones, the site is near empty btw.
It’s hot at the moment 35c sunny very slight breeze.
People within 2 metres 0.
The chap that owns the site did come to say hello but kept a good 3 metres away. Saw quite a few gendarmes on the way down but ignored us altogether.
Traffic was a little busier but by no means busy
image.jpg

view down our “terrace”.

image.jpg
I believe there is only us and a tugger on site.
More vans down here mainly french and Netherlands ones, and had quite a few waves, so we aren’t social pariahs just yet.
No different to last year.
Update later on, time for lunch, then I have an appointment with a bottle of Napoleon brandy.
Ha Ha Ha :dance2:

OP
OP
MITHRANDIR
Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
I have been meaning to mention about the dashcam I bought, it can be remotely accessed publicly by anyone, if anyone can be bothered.
Download the blackvue app which is free, and have a look, you should be able to access my camera for a live view.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 10, 2013
worcester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
Thank you very much for this thread, very informative and reminds us of our many happy times travelling down through France. Second year in a row we have missed our usual month of June in France. We are booked to go for all of September fingers crossed, and will look in on a couple of the Aires you have mentioned on our way South.

Thanks again
James (marpool)

OP
OP
MITHRANDIR
Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
Had a peaceful day very quiet relaxing
Roo wanted to read, was going to go on the cycles but she has not acclimatised quite yet and it was a bit too warm for her.
Not a problem though.
Will be heading further south tomorrow.
Crickets are out in force again, nice to hear
It’s about 20c at the moment very pleasant.
707BC0E8-46F4-46F3-AA85-04F8EEFA3217.jpeg

sunset, well just after.

OP
OP
MITHRANDIR
Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
Woke to another fine morning, it’s going to be hot today, had a very peaceful quiet night.
This is an excellent site and at 15 euro very reasonable we will certainly stay here again.
Off south again will update a little later
image.jpg

image.jpg

Feb 20, 2010
winchcombe
Funster No
MH
swift sundance 630g
Thanks for your updates,the hopes for us going on the 23rd of july are fading started to look for sites here,5 of us getting test takes the budget away from us going,still got a very small glimp's of hope,enjoy.

OP
OP
MITHRANDIR
Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
Stopped for a spot of lunch on the way to Quillan, not a particularly wonderful spot but functional, very hot at the moment, some dark clouds in our direction of travel so maybe a thunderstorm in the offing.
It’s all good though I like to photograph the lightening if I can, plus I think it’s one of nature’s shows.
People within 2 metres 0
Traffic is still quiet
Currently 36c quite humid bright sunshine
BE20F1E3-DA04-407F-95DD-12B0F2B44EF9.jpeg

7D3BC176-7E2A-4CEB-BEBC-26C31FFEAB74.jpeg

OP
OP
MITHRANDIR
Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
Stopped at an aire the other side of quillan
Seems very pleasant, we are sort of on route to the Pyrenees for a few days
image.jpg

its Very warm at the moment no thunder yet but it is forecast for later in the week.
Everyone seems friendly enough.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 66
OP
OP
MITHRANDIR
Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
Cafes we will probably give a miss as Roo is not happy because of COVID , and I can’t say that doesn’t have merit, but we will see.
We should have a big pool though early next week, the med,:giggle: we are planning on Argeles sur mer at a site we have used before, very nice, Roo has to do a little remote work so we want a good spot for a few days.
millau earlier on today
66C78F69-63D7-46C8-AE49-91F553B233B3.jpeg

OP
OP
MITHRANDIR
Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
What a great thread. Plenty of relevant information, great photos and most of all no bickering. Keep it going we are all with you.
Thanks that is what the thread is supposed to be, factual based on our real experience.
Tbh, France is no different to normal really
All the talk of animosity etc is totally unfounded up to present.
Apart from the not eating out part and coffee
We are having a good time, going for a stroll later on.
But honestly all’s good.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
So now we're in the Dordogne, it's VERY hot. Looking for an aire we found a small campsite and have a pitch on the banks of the river. The owner (New ?) quoted us 18.50 euros with leccy, but then came running over saying he misquoted, it should have been 15.50. FOR A RIVERSIDE PITCH. We said no matter, we'll take it anyway. The river is very fast, and full of life, curls or eddies of water, and some sort of fish that goes along with the stream and seems to have its snout/mouth sticking out. Can't quite work it out. People on the opposite bank swimming and snorkeling, looks very cool. There is no other camper within 50 or 100 metres, it's so quiet. He says they'll be full to bursting from next month. He claims that France will win the Euros, and certainly will beat us. I couldn't really defend that. The weather could break on Thursday, possibility of thunder and storms. Having experienced summer storms in the past, I think our son's garden will be a good place to be. No site charge, free leccy and dinners on the patio. Ah well!

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Well my building materials arrived today (late) but hopefully everything will be finished ready for our 12th July booking. We will prob have to pay for tests to travel, but we will probably just swallow the cost ....

OP
OP
MITHRANDIR
Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
Well my building materials arrived today (late) but hopefully everything will be finished ready for our 12th July booking. We will prob have to pay for tests to travel, but we will probably just swallow the cost ....
Grin and bear it , that’s what we have done,
But you know what? It’s worth every penny.

OP
OP
MITHRANDIR
Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
It’s cooled off to 27c at the moment we had a stroll up the side of this river not sure of the name but was very pleasant, forgot my phone so no pics I’m afraid but will make up for it tomorrow.
Very quiet here, will visit Rennes le chateau tomorrow morning and then press on towards Pau .
No crickets this evening I’m afraid,

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Grin and bear it , that’s what we have done,
But you know what? It’s worth every penny.
thats the plan .... however with the Delta variant now on the French radar and accounting for 2/3% of new cases and their health minister suggesting they are now where the UK was 3 weeks ago, the issue might be whether French borders close ...... hopefully they will stay open long enough for us to get through ...

OP
OP
MITHRANDIR
Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
Moved on to a site we stayed at last September camping rioumajou, a large commercial site, we wouldn’t normally bother with this type of site but enjoyed it last year, the site is huge so plenty of room for everyone can’t say that it’s very quiet but it’s not very busy either.
Never made it to rennes turned up towards it and there was a lot of council activity with the road blocked, we waited 30 mins but with no sign of any movement we turned round and headed for the Pyrenees, I think there was some broken down machinery.
No matter, we will visit when we head back that way on route to Argeles sur mere.
People within 2 metres 1, masks and gloves present, while we were booking in, they were very pleasant, respectful of distance etc and had masks on.
Roads were very quiet again except near limoux, but even then it would be a stretch to describe it as “busy”.
Weather is quite overcast with the odd sunny spell 29c so quite warm and breezy so is pleasantly cooling.
image.jpg

view from our pitch not fabulous but nice enough, we will be out on the cycles later so will get some better photos.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Tbh, France is no different to normal really
All the talk of animosity etc is totally unfounded up to present.
Thank you! I've always thought so, even though I don't personnaly know each French person!

OP
OP
MITHRANDIR
Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
BTW, we had a visit from the municipal police this morning, before we left the Aire he was very nice asked us if we had had a good night, and could he collect the 6 euro 20?, we paid of course he wished us a good journey.
I thought he may ask for papers etc but was not interested in the slightest.
Never had that happen before :giggle:
Last two Aires were free so we don’t mind.

OP
OP
MITHRANDIR
Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
Been out on the cycles for a short 8km ride, we found a landscaped park/ponds near the campsite last September thought we would revisit
EED0691F-1062-41BF-A487-5DA47ABAE8EB.jpeg

119CDA3E-6F54-4F3D-8139-0A000F109BDA.jpeg

D47B7399-49B4-4289-9802-AC094C95DB37.jpeg
D8F8BD89-570F-4A89-8C66-68904FADE3F1.jpeg

3FC58155-33A2-46C4-81D2-9F5971C9BB04.jpeg

makes for a pleasant stroll or in our case cycle, we had the place virtually to ourselves, there are various picnic areas, looks like they are extending the park further down the valley, you can fish there too.
31206A1A-F7FC-4FAB-A63D-916079600FB5.jpeg

A170A37D-EC25-48EB-9EE0-EE7A2C2A0FF8.jpeg

OP
OP
MITHRANDIR
Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
If the weather behaves tomorrow we will have a picnic at the park as it is rather nice.
15.70 euro per night here inc taxes and 10A electricity which I think is very reasonable, there is a restaurant onsite and a pool, games area for children, brick built barbecues dotted around for you to use, it’s not really near a town so somewhat isolated, if you like that sort of thing, most of the pitches are separated by Laurel hedges and of various sizes.
I wouldn’t stay here for a week, but a few days are fine, we are close to a tunnel for Spain so would make a good stopover.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
We saw an English reg pvc in Eymet, but that is an English enclave anyway. So far the only UK camper. The storm hit, but was quite mild, and it is still grey and wet, but it's a little more comfortable. We can hear some testing going on at the Nogaro racing circuit, just 8km from here, suggests racing soon, so might go along this weekend to see what's happening.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
It’s cooled off to 27c at the moment we had a stroll up the side of this river not sure of the name but was very pleasant, forgot my phone so no pics I’m afraid but will make up for it tomorrow.
Very quiet here, will visit Rennes le chateau tomorrow morning and then press on towards Pau .
No crickets this evening I’m afraid,
We're at our son's place now, only an hour away from Pau. It wasn't your van we saw in Eymet yesterday (Weds), was it?

OP
OP
MITHRANDIR
Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
Moved from the Pyrenees due to rain of biblical proportions, and it didn’t look like it was stopping any time soon, headed back towards Rennes and once we hit around Limoux, had a terrific thunderstorm and I mean terrific, back on the aire at esparanza, still thunder and lightening although not as bad as at limoux, rain and wind so fierce it pulled down some power lines.
image.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back