138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We often stay at Mesniers en Bray. It’s a nice stopover and there’s a vet we use nearby. I’m loving this thread. ❤️

OP
OP
MITHRANDIR
Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
Moved to an aire at Massiac, superb rural aire, and well worth finding, but plan your route very carefully as on our route took us through some very old buildings a pull the mirrors in job, A class or coachbuilts no chance we had an inch to spare and reversing would be exceptionally difficult if not impossible there is another route more suitable though.
A17FB4C3-B24F-4F9C-914E-1D9F7A7C6FCA.jpeg

Nice view
E66D28D8-F780-4F03-810C-9F7BC61D957A.jpeg

excellent views from the top we are going to have some lunch so I’m told.

OP
OP
MITHRANDIR
Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
Don’t know that aire and it doesn’t see to show up on a couple of apps.
We have stayed at Massiac but on the aire on the edge of town, behind the community centre.
Love that area. (y)

Richard.
It’s in all the aires south page 90 Massiac-chalet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
The reason you cannot use your home test is exactly that, 'you told them it was negative', for travelling the test has to be done independently and confirmed by email/text. That's why they have to be a paid for test.

So how do they know it was a home test? The wording on the email and text is exactly the same as I had when I had a test done at a testing centre when I did have symptoms early on- and from the same source. That test was also negative and I almost certainly had a pulmonary infection and not covid.

I'm not going to be going abroad or "cheating" (that would just be stupid as far as I am concerned) - if it's a positive test no matter where done or by whom, it's important to follow the advice. It's thought that 50% of positive cases are not picked up by the lateral flow tests - but picking up half of the people who test but don't have symptoms is better than none I suppose. When I worked in the "rapid test" industry we didn't market tests that were less than 90% accurate (actually 5% of tests that showed negative should have shown positive and 10% that should have shown negative came back as positive) but we had the luxury of time to develop the tests and we weren't dealing with highly transmissible infections.

My next lateral flow test to be done today :)

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
They have some quaint signs dotted around the village from memory ... Nice little stopover !! Great to hear the escapees are having good journeys, long may it continue, best wishes
Those signs are brilliant. As the AV enters the town, there are signs about 10 or 15 metres apart, in front of specially planted tree, giving its name in French and Latin, and a description of its historical use, and other aspects of. My French is very limited, there are words I do not know, but would like to. I took a photo of some, and used a translation program on the image to understand them. But wifey carried on walking so I gave up. Plus there is a wild garden in the park by the monastery, and a picnic area, a nice cafe bar. There are other aires around here too, and a France Passion with free UHU, but unfortunately it is an intensive poultry farm. Geese, by the sound of it. They quiten down when the barn doors are shut.

(below):That's what I thought. The French guy looked totally lost anyway. It's a scare story, something to make travelling abraod more complicated. I think!!

So how do they know it was a home test? The wording on the email and text is exactly the same as I had when I had a test done at a testing centre when I did have symptoms early on- and from the same source. That test was also negative and I almost certainly had a pulmonary infection and not covid.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
We're moving south tomorrow. Possibly 2 aires stops, trying to reduce the long driving spells, I have a habit of wanting to get the drovomg over with and get there cos I don't want to stop, but am wanting to try new locations. Might rest again ih the Dordogne for a day or three, unless it's too hot. Not aclimatised yet!

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Don’t know that aire and it doesn’t see to show up on a couple of apps.
We have stayed at Massiac but on the aire on the edge of town, behind the community centre.
Love that area. (y)

Richard.
Completely forgotten that I made a video of Massiac Aire.

this one looks ok too, by the river

Thought that looked familia, it just happens to be my video. :giggle:
In better weather the spots beside the river would be very pleasant.
Other view from the other end of the aire
Building you can see is an 11c church of some kindView attachment 506377
Fancied trying that aire on the hill top for ages. Looks brilliant.
Every time we drive up the A75 I think we should try it but we are in a bit of a 'bus' so access might be dodgy.

Richard.

OP
OP
MITHRANDIR
Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
Completely forgotten that I made a video of Massiac Aire.

Thought that looked familia, it just happens to be my video. :giggle:
In better weather the spots beside the river would be very pleasant.

Fancied trying that aire on the hill top for ages. Looks brilliant.
Every time we drive up the A75 I think we should try it but we are in a bit of a 'bus' so access might be dodgy.

Richard.
As you come of the roundabout and past petrol station on your right continue on up the hill, over the bridge that’s above the A 75 uphill again DO NOT TAKE THE FIRST LEFT as that is very very tight, continue up Aire is at the top.

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
As you come of the roundabout and past petrol station on your right continue on up the hill, over the bridge that’s above the A 75 uphill again DO NOT TAKE THE FIRST LEFT as that is very very tight, continue up Aire is at the top.
Just had a look on Google Earth.
I can quite see why it was tight the way you went but the other road looks good.
Now I am DEFINITELY going to try that aire when we are down that way.
Thanks for the tip. (y)

Richard.

OP
OP
MITHRANDIR
Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
Just had a look on Google Earth.
I can quite see why it was tight the way you went but the other road looks good.
Now I am DEFINITELY going to try that aire when we are down that way.
Thanks for the tip. (y)

Richard.
Well worth it imv, no services to speak of just an area to park but well worth it imv
A50347AE-9D55-440E-8345-6714A5811F03.jpeg

View from the top end of the aire near the church must be 300 ft to the bottom, no barrier of any kind so caution advised but safe enough.

BigDean

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2017
Btw, people encountered within 2metres 0.
Actually we have not been within 50 metres of any one today.
I will try and remember to incorporate this snippet of info for reference unless people think that it’s pointless??
Not pointless at all, please carry on. As much info as possible (y)

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
There is another aire just a short distance away from you at Blesle.
Free aire beside community centre and a lovely old village full of ancient timber houses.
So many nice old villages in that area.

Not sure if that aire is still there as was there last week and didn’t see it but there is a camping Car Park aire by the river and only €10 per night . Very easy walk to the village .

Just watched the video and the parking for motorhomes to visit the village is still there but couldn’t be called an aire .

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Not sure if that aire is still there as was there last week and didn’t see it but there is a camping Car Park aire by the river and only €10 per night . Very easy walk to the village .

Just watched the video and the parking for motorhomes to visit the village is still there but couldn’t be called an aire .
I bow to your better judgement as you live in France and will know it better than I, but if it’s parking for a motorhome it must be an aire. Whether there are services or not is irrelevant I would have though.

Richard.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I bow to your better judgement as you live in France and will know it better than I, but if it’s parking for a motorhome it must be an aire. Whether there are services or not is irrelevant I would have though.

Richard.
There is a difference and if you note it is right next to a car park so area designated for Camping Cars to be able to park to visit the village as there is often no space in a normal car park in a popular tourist place . In Brive just before the Pont Cardinal there is dedicated motorhome parking to allow visits to the town but is not designated aire for overnight parking .

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
On the french site for Aires it is not designated as an aire only the private Camping Car Park which was previously the municipal site I think

1DD1F400-E48E-44A7-9B0C-7D85A5331C55.png

OP
OP
MITHRANDIR
Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
Woke to a fine morning, had a very good night, cool though, 10 c, very quiet.
Heading south today after breakfast ( coffee and croissants)),
Two other vans joined us last night one french one German, both waved and exchanged pleasantries but kept a respectful distance, all good, will update later.
image.jpg

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Thanks (both of you) for the great info and updates. We get back home later today and have 2 tonnes of ballast and ten bags of cement arriving tomorrow, hopefully will finish laying the new patio by weekend, then I can start to dream of joining you ...

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
My next lateral flow test to be done today :)

And was negative :)

Next one on Wednesday and then the following Sunday when we are at Lochore - but I may leave that until Monday when we are home so I can report the result more easily. Results have to be reported within 24 hours and a good internet connection is required.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back