Guilty, even when proven innocent! (1 Viewer)

Big Bird

Free Member
Jan 18, 2014
Carlisle
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 2012
Rapi fire.JPG

Imagine having your van fully loaded as you are about to embark on your 3 month trip, time to switch the fridge on as you've done hundreds of times before, and then this happens! By the time the fire brigade arrived the van was written off and the insurance company paid out in a week. No injuries of particular note, so all in all just a case of finding a substantial amount of money to bridge the gap to buy a replacement. That was over 2 years ago and despite having a letter from my insurance company to say I was not to blame for the fire, how could I be, as a user you have two choices, to switch the fridge on or not, in insurance terms it will be recorded as a fault claim by me and my no claims and premiums will be affected accordingly. This is because their solicitors do not think there is a good chance of recovering the costs from a third party, either the manufacturer or the manufacturers agent who fitted a new part to the fridge a few days before. So my motorhome and car insurance is affected for 5 years because of no fault of my own. A warning to fellow 'vanners and maybe a pointer to ensuring you have protected no claims? I've tried many avenues to find justice but they all seem to be cul-de-sacs!

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
No claims bonus is a scam anyway because when applying for the next policy you have to declare that you've had a claim within the last 5 years... And that bumps the premium up.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
This is because their solicitors do not think there is a good chance of recovering the costs from a third party, either the manufacturer or the manufacturers agent who fitted a new part to the fridge a few days before.
Makes me feel pleased that I do all my own maintenance on the hab side.

Nice to hear you got paid out quick and are enjoying a new van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I’ve decided next time our insurance is due, to opt to pay a higher excess and not bother with protected ncb I’m hoping the premium will be lower.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Bloody awful,feel sorry for you.
But hey,life goes on,enjoy your new baby.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
That’s one seriously scarey photo.
Thank goodness you were not hurt, it’s made me a bit afraid now for the ferry to Spain in a couple of weeks as I know some people, deliberately or not, leave fridge and/or electrics switched on.

I hope you enjoy your new MH and are able to put it all behind you.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
I’ve decided next time our insurance is due, to opt to pay a higher excess and not bother with protected ncb I’m hoping the premium will be lower.
I've increasingly found insurance companies quote a compulsory excess which, if my understanding is correct, means they tell you what the excess is and that's it, you can't opt for higher.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
The thing is its a no claim bonus not a no blame bonus . The reason its not affected if someone else is at fault is your own insurance does not end up paying anything in this case as you say there is no-one else to claim off. I still think they are rip off merchants though and as someone else said if you have protected no claims the premium usually still goes up because the policy cost increases anyway because there is a claim you just get a percentage off afterwards.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
That’s one seriously scarey photo.
Thank goodness you were not hurt, it’s made me a bit afraid now for the ferry to Spain in a couple of weeks as I know some people, deliberately or not, leave fridge and/or electrics switched on.

I hope you enjoy your new MH and are able to put it all behind you.
Have seen the vents being checked for heat a few times also have been asked to pen the locker to see that the gas is turned off.
Glad no one was hurt, caravan went up next door to my old boss yesterday. we all need to be mindful.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Always turn the gas off on ferries, please.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back