Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Hi sitting at Parc Verger and in the morn I'm heading south I would like to end up say Calpe area. Which direction do you good folk reccomend ? Places to stop etc. I really am clueless and keep staring at map etc lol. Would idealy like to avoid tolls get a couple of cheap nights possibly just got to get to warmth and sun. Would ideally like to avoid tolls and goat tracks.

As always thanks for any advice help offers Paul

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
tolls in spain relatively good value as unlike BAD france, camper classed the same as cars.. + not all motorways are tolls.

Volusia

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Haute Vienne France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Recent converts from boating
Better route might be head Toward Bordeaux, then to Biarritz, then into Spain. San Sebastian, then to Zaragoza, across Valencia then to Calpe.
Alternatively, just enter Calpe in the satnav, fastest route or shortest.
There's some kind of, pack em in like sardines, site near Lidl, Calpe area! Good luck, be down that way toward the end of December too!

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
When we left Spain earlier in the year, we drove up the coast past Barcelona and into France at Narbonne and the up to Carcasonne and then to Limoges. The Carcasonne to Limoges bit was off toll roads all the way and was a lovely drive so you could do it in the opposite direction if you fancied, otherwise as suggested head for St Jean de luz and then up and over via Zaragoza towards Valencia again you can do the Spanish bit on good roads without tolls but cruise control is handy after Zaragoza.
You can stop at St Jean de Luz or San Sebastián and then we stopped at a campsite at Navajas near Segorbe just about 50 miles short of Valencia but it was a long day.
If you go the other way there is an aire at Carcasonne and the old town is worth a look.

Last edited:

Volusia

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Haute Vienne France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Recent converts from boating
We usually go one way going and the other coming home! Beware though it can be very windy on the Carcassonne to Barcelona route! Check the forecasts. Not many sites between Pamplona and Valencia but it can be done in a day easily. Can be a bit boring though, flat valley with little in the way of scenery. Having said that, last year our sat nav took us slightly off that route through a few hills and it was very pretty ;0) hope you have a good trip anyway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

happypre65

Free Member
Nov 12, 2010
Funster No
Hi,Look at this site,all about France,com, it will show you routes to spain,also give you more info,regards H.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Morning Paul, shame we did not get that chance to chat, we have just come back up from Zaragoza to PV

My opinion, don't go to Biarritz, we paid more in tolls than we expected and that was negotiated down at the tolls

We came back up from Zarragoza over the pass at Pourtalet to Pau, I would suggest the Somport tunnel would be better next time.

The scenery is stunning, the hills not too serious and all free (y)

The roads down from you to Pau are all A type roads, a little narrow at times and quite a few lorries, but all OK really, just busier than we have been used to, but this is the weekend now so should be better

Last edited:
OP
OP
PORKSTER

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Morning Paul, shame we did not get that chance to chat, we have just come back up from Zaragoza to PV

My opinion, don't go to Biarritz, we paid more in tolls than we expected and that was negotiated down at the tolls

We came back up from Zarragoza over the pass at Pourtalet to Pau, I would suggest the Somport tunnel would be better next time.

The scenery is stunning, the hills not too serious and all free (y)

The roads down from you to Pau are all A type roads, a little narrow at times and quite a few lorries, but all OK really, just busier than we have been used to, but this is the weekend now so should be better

Yes would have enjoyed a natter and could have got some knowledge of you. We left PV and ended up @ Langton free aire just of the D,arcachon basin. We then went to St Jean deLuz aire full but plenty of vans by the station so parked there no worries. In the morning we went to Hendaye aire and dumped off for free and parked for free by the church. Partook in some people watching enjoyed some frites and headed to back to van.
Set satnav to Valencia and of we went into Spain route unknown but last bit was a23 stopped at free aire @ Segorbe. Spent quiet night here basicly a laybye near station filled up with water. Only 40kmh to track but now it was persisting it down but I got to see Marc Marquez ride nobody told him track was wet. Didn't stay around long we then drove to Javea got caught on our first toll €6 not to bad in 1500ish miles. Stayed 2 nights free camping by Scallops rekindling some old holiday memory's from many years ago. And now we've set up camp for at least 4 nights @ Almafra seen it recommended on here and thought it would do us.

So thanks funsters for helping us this far

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Nice one, you did well to get from Arcachon down to Spain without paying tolls, I thought that road had now been upgraded to peage, we didn't find a way round

and that was a big drive in one day from St Luz to 40km off Valencia

Glad it is all going well (y)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
We usually go one way going and the other coming home! Beware though it can be very windy on the Carcassonne to Barcelona route! Check the forecasts. Not many sites between Pamplona and Valencia but it can be done in a day easily. Can be a bit boring though, flat valley with little in the way of scenery. Having said that, last year our sat nav took us slightly off that route through a few hills and it was very pretty ;0) hope you have a good trip anyway.

Not to be picky, but what route did you take bet. Pamplona and Valencia that was flat.

When we did it the SatNag took us up some hairy inclines to about 3800 ft!!! (easy though).
Don't be put off by my ramblings. Wherever, on the coast you are in Spain, it's bound to be warmer than back home.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back