Guidance required for extended touring please. (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Hello all,
Planning extended tours for a few years (11 months away, 1 return to top up vehicle tax, mot etc etc.)
Can anyone who has done this or is currently doing it offer some tips?

Planning to do this in 2014, but initial investigations deflating us as every official Body will only deal with us if we have a permanent uk address. As we intend to find our touring by renting our property, we are starting to feel imprisoned by "the system". Surely there must be a way around this without having to resort to using family member addresses... which after all will be a deliberate false statement. Hoping/praying that someone can help!
Many thanks.
Happy motorhoming!
Eric S.
:shout:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
You can do it with a C/O address but you will probably need to go for Full Time insurance.

If however, you can rent your property to someone you can trust with your mail, then you don't need to tell anyone anything.

Pete:Cool:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We did it for three years, so have some experience of the problems..

It is not possible (without telling lies) to get insurance without an address. Failure to disclose that you are living in your van and that it is your main 'residence' will invalidate the policy..

Comfort Insurance is one of the few who do one tailored for full timing, but it is expensive .. and you must have a C/O address..

You will also need a C/O address for your driving licence and vehicle registration..

We have a Fulltime forum where this and many other issues have been discussed, also a sister site dedicated to full timers
http://www.motorhome365.com/

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
Hi

We've been doing what you're planning for nearly 3 years now. Yes, there are admin issues, but all solvable - honestly & legally.

Happy to answer any specific questions via a PM.

Or read our blog.

Good luck

Billkce

OP
OP
sciac2001
Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Many thanks for your post.
Not too sure what you mean by "PM". It would be nice to know how we could legally go about it.
Other posts don't hold out much hope without a c/o address which seems so crazy...
Happy travelling to you.
Best regards

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Hi

We've been doing what you're planning for nearly 3 years now. Yes, there are admin issues, but all solvable - honestly & legally.

[HI]Happy to answer any specific questions via a PM.[/HI]

Or read our blog.

Good luck

Billkce

I am sure your answers would be of great interest to several other Funsters. :thumb:

Sadly, if the thread is moved away from the forum and into Private Message Land then it gets hidden from us...:Sad:

Providing everyone promises not to copy my actions as related below without very careful thought, I will relate how I have coped (so far) living in my van of the time for over twenty years.

I have never knowingly told a lie (brought up Quaker) but if I am not asked I do not give out information.

A very good friend of mine lets me use her address.

She has for over 15 years.

The bank have it as a c/o address.

It is on my driving licence.

When/if asked "where do you live?"

I would inquire, "you want my address?"

"Yes."

So I give them my address. I never say I live there.

When I had an UK reg motorhome it was insured with Adrian Flux.

I was never asked if I live in it full time.

I have no idea if the policy is void (as so often stated on this forum by more knowledgeable people than me) because I have never made a claim except for a windscreen. I encountered no difficulty there.

What I do know is that the papers have been examined by the police all over Europe and I have never ever had a problem.

To say that this "under the radar" existence is without difficulties would not be true but I have so far managed to solve each one as it turns up... just as Billkce says.

I ask myself if what I am doing is "wrong" and my answer to me is "no."

Authority doesn't want free spirits roaming around free as the air because they can't keep track of them/control them so easily.

But some people are not equipped for this unconventional approach and it would cause them much stress and worry. This would completely defeat the whole purpose of a nomadic life.

But I love it and have done for years and years and years.

JJ :Cool:

... now, I have to get my passport renewed...

I hope I don't have to go back to Blighty to do so...

I believe you can get it done and collect it in Madrid...

Where are City playing next week?

What! Madrid?

I wonder...

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
One problem that has recently come to light is that of health insurance. Treatment in the UK is for UK residents if you are not resident here you have to pay. So do make sure you have sufficient health insurance.
ADAC have a breakdown policy that covers you 365 in europe with lots of other personal benefits as well. Check out the details in the download section of this site. Nothing is insurmountable, keeping the house best idea. Enjoy and good luck.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
As Jim says in an earlier post all the answers are on the Motorhome365 Forum. This is a forum for full timers and those interested in full timing.

We are full timing and doing it all legally. Yes we pay Comforts Full Timing Premium.

Our vehicles are registered at our daughters address as are our licences. etc. You need a UK address not a residence to insure with Comfort. The premium is about 100% more than if you have a UK residence but at least you know you are covered if the worst happens. It is fraud not to inform your insurers of any material information. The onus is on you to inform them, not on them to ask the right questions. DVLA need a UK address where you can be contacted through. I have contacted DVLA a few times and they have replies to my c/o address. Yes they address the letter c/o house number and street

Boaters use a mailing service and this provides a street address for DVLA etc. This is legal but a PO box is not. Motorhomers are not the only people who full time.

We spend about 6 months a year touring Europe and the rest of the year touring the UK.

John

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
When "Fraud" and "Insurance" are mentioned together I know what springs to my mind.

Insurance companies are betting shops.

Their people know the "odds" better than their clients so they make loads on money out of them.

JJ

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back