Guidance appreciated for European sabbatical (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Hello everyone,
We are planning to tour Europe in a couple of years' time and would greatly appreciate some pointers with regards the procedures involved.
Of major concern is how to go about getting the vehicle re-taxed and mot'd to allow us to continue with our tour, ideally without having to return to Blighty to do so
Initial investigations have already deflated us in that we are told by DVLA that staying away for more than 12 months, would be regarded as a permanent export for the camper. They advise re-taxing abroad but if we're constantly on the move, how would this work?
We would welcome advice on everything from medical cover to making provisions for our mail. Our plan is to rent our bungalow whilst we are away and we will therefore not have a resident address for authorities etc to forward our communications such as tax disc etc.
Questions questions..... Hopefully someone has been through all this and offer their expertise. Alternatively, can anyone recommend a publication that can guide us through the mire?
Thank you all.
Sciac2001
Dorset.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi . you will have to come back. the only other way is using an mot exempt vehicle as your vehicle .this could allow taxing whilst away .someone could send it to you post restante.
you cant register abroad unless you live there ,address etc .
yes if vehicle is out for more than 12 months it should be exported . above shows how to cheat.
health use your nhi card .
ideally you will need an address here .to register and insure against. plus an address for driving licences .
you rent your house you technically for go that address as a base.
its not as easy as it first seems . usually coming back getting an mot ,retaxing and new insurance is the way.
getting insurance can be trouble with no address .
there are loads of threads on here for and against it . spend some time looking . i did it years ago buy used my parents address . now i dont advise it . think hard .i keep my house but rent a room out. find it works much better . i keep my address and come and go as i want. covers most of the problems folk come across. but ask away ., you will have lots to ask i,m sure .cheers alan.

OP
OP
sciac2001
Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Many thanks Alan.
I know that it will be hard but I am praying that there will be a way to overcome the postal address issues. I wonder how Travellers get around this? As you rightly state, my main concern is receiving what is needed to keep the vehicle road-legal and I will have to ask insurers and licensing authorities directly.
I take on board the fact that we will have to come back and hopefully I will be able to do the bits and pieces in as short a time as possible.
All the best.
Eric

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi many use a base . rent a bit of land for a caravan that can get round the rules . mind that as its own problems sometimes . do lots of investigating before you go to the authorities they will use it against you if you dont know the rules .
others use a friend relatives address.
loads of travel mags out there.plus lots of info on google . there is also motor home 365 .another one of jims sites .
there are also travel shows in london and the bigger cities all for long term travellers . or go to some of the travel treffens in germany .
there are thousands out there doing it .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back