Guessing Game (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Hi Sandra it looks the same size as one of our smaller domestic ones.
We had a water leak in the kitchen at home behind the washing machine so it went unnoticed for a while, when discovered I pulled out the washing machine, dried the surrounding area as much as I could, with heating on average temp 19/21C.
We had it on for a fortnight and we had to empty the 1.5 ltr tank every day, and our Lecky bill went up 50%, but it dried out the kitchen floor and under kitchen units a treat.
Good luck with yours, as said the warmer the van is the more moisture will be extracted.
PS: I do recommend getting one of those digital temp weather stations, as they show the temp difference between outside & inside, along with humidity which is more important in your case in drying out the van.(see below, it can run up to 3 separate sensors, the one shown is for indoor/outdoor, but additional sensors are Ā£10 each, run on 2aaa batts, and are Bluetoothed up to 60feet.
LES
Amazon product ASIN B07G2YM494

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Even with spirits on optics, if you happened to serve liqueurs you needed the measures but you had to wash and dry them immediately after use, cos you couldn't pour a Tia Maria into one after you'd just done a Creme de Menthe frappe!

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Judgement day.... (y)

I say 1 galleon.... :smiley:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Conrad J

Free Member
Jul 10, 2020
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 646
Exp
Since 1999.
According to my weather station, the humidity has been 99 recently, so what you get in your dehumidifier could well mostly be coming from drying up the atmosphere, not the ingress of damp.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Im either ignorant, too young or your giving your age away, I've no idea how much a gill is compared to a ml, pint etc. Can you try another format :)
Aye right!
Yur voddy used to come in 1/5 or 1/4 gills before they changed to 25ml or 35ml! The softy suveners who cannae cope wi booze used to sell it in 1/6 gills!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just run it for 24 hours, record what you collect then do the same again. If over a few days the amount collected decreases then you can reasonably assume you are drying the MH out a bit.

Unless you have a side window open you can ignore the idea you are drying out the atmosphere outside. You may like us have a skylight in the bathroom which acts as a permanent vent but that is on the roof and as dry air is more dense than damp air you won't get moisture pouring in through it.

The only risk is over-drying which can damage wood. I don't think this should be an issue but don't run the dehumidifier for long after the water collected significantly drops off. :)

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Not as much as I thought but I made a mistake this morning, I moved it from one area to the next and accidentally set it to 60% instead of 50 % so nothing was collected in around 4 hrs. I remedied it this afternoon then started getting a little water again. I can say the mattresses certainly don't feel damp to touch anymore. Will do it one more day and see how much I get 2mor.
IMG_9339.JPG

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Give it a chance Sandra, turn it up to high, let it run for a week, take water measurements each day, dont stop until it levels off. Stick it near the area of the original leak if you haven't already done so, I guess you have removed everything near where the frozen kitchen roll was.
Good luck, we are all with you, as you can probably tell. :giggle:
PS: for the Gil measurers we had 1/5th of a Gill down sarf, while you lot in Scotland had 1/4 Gills, but at least our pubs didn't shut down early every night at 10PM, and opened on Sunday. I dont know how my old Grandad ever coped with those opening hours up there:giggle: Not sure as I was so young, but I think Grandad used to have to use the local hotel bar on Sundays, which he would have resented doing due to the higher prices, compared with The Auld House in Dunlop.
LES

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
I do recommend getting one of those digital temp weather stations, as they show the temp difference between outside & inside, along with humidity which is more important in your case in drying out the van.(see below, it can run up to 3 separate sensors, the one shown is for indoor/outdoor, but additional sensors are Ā£10 each, run on 2aaa batts, and are Bluetoothed up to 60feet.
LES
Amazon product ASIN B07G2YM494

I have one of these but haven't fitted it yet. Where did you put the outside component?

Aug 17, 2019
Highlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
5 years
Not as much as I thought but I made a mistake this morning, I moved it from one area to the next and accidentally set it to 60% instead of 50 % so nothing was collected in around 4 hrs. I remedied it this afternoon then started getting a little water again. I can say the mattresses certainly don't feel damp to touch anymore. Will do it one more day and see how much I get 2mor.View attachment 466400
So I was right egg cup worth ,forget to say for Ostrich eggs Do I win a prize.

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
It's inside the moho and gives me interior temperature and humidity in doors.

Oh, okay. I have one that does inside and outside. The outside but is measured by a little box and sends the info wirelessly to the inside screen.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I have one of these but haven't fitted it yet. Where did you put the outside component?
I have 3 additional sensors, in addition to the main unit of course.
I plan to fit 1st external sensor underneath the van in a position that is protected from water being washed up by wheels, fixed with self adhesive velcro tape so its easily removed for battery changing. 2nd one inside Fridge to monitor temp set close to 4/5C, 3rd one inside freezer to monitor that.
It will help me to set up more accurately when the fridge fans 2 external & 1 internal switch on and stop, to help maintain fridge temp in warm weather.
The Fridge/Freezer fans have their own Inkbird temp controllers, controlled vie thermistors, however the ThermaPro units will be a second reference for FF temp control.

At the moment however during lockdown I am testing the head unit & external sensors, all of which are working very well.
Main unit is magnetically stuck to kitchen Fridge door in house, 1st external is outside on a windowsill, & 2nd external is inside the van on the drive, and I have a small 500watt oil filled rad running to keep the van above 5C.
The head unit continuously scrolls between 1,2, & 3 external sensors, giving me an idea of all relevant temps, plus humidity.
I will get a second head unit with another external sensor when we can back to using the van all year round.šŸ¤ž
LES

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back