adt

Mar 28, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Nuevo
Exp
Since 2016
I know you can go and have a test ride of any ebike at a shop but cannot with the GTech unless you order and take the 14 day return challenge. Well I did that and though I'd post a review.

Bit about myself as an indicator - I'm 51, 85kg, 6ft and used to play a lot of sport, mainly football and rugby up to a bad ankle injury which saw me banned by an RAF doctor for a year during which time I took up hockey and played that extensively for 15 years. This has caused me major injuries to both knees, my left hip and lower back which seems to be making life ever more painful with each passing year.

I cycle to work most days, around 5.5 miles each way but there is an elevation change of around 260-280ft on the way home with most of that on one steep hill at about 4 miles in. When my injuries are playing me havoc I have in the past reverted to the car which takes longer to get to work.

I decided to look at an ebike to keep me cycling when the limbs don't want to cooperate and still cycle on my Carrera mountain bike when I'm OK. I looked predominantly at the Kalkhoff Integrale and the Grace Easy initially as I wanted to go with carbon belt drive. (i get through chains and cassettes with ease due to the tracks ridden) but at £3k was struggling to justify it over keeping another car running, so I thought I'd try the GTech. Ordered the sport and it arrived 2 days later.

It is marginally lighter than my mountain bike but that can be accounted for no suspension, no disk brakes, no derailleur, no front and rear cassettes and the centre of gravity is at the back due to the rear wheel motor.
I charged it to full and set off.
The saddle is not the most comfortable I have ridden on but is by no means the most uncomfortable, however, I would not want to have to spend longer than the 11 mile round trip on it than I have to.
I've seen some people report the handle bars are uncomfortable but I actually like them with the flat area that I just rest my palms on. Seems to suit my riding style.

I did think the lack of gears would annoy me and see me sending it back but I've found I have no need for them. Don't get me wrong, another gear would help on the straights to get more speed, I must top out just under 20mph but I'm happy with that and coast on the downhill parts on the way to work.
The bike comes into it's own on the way home though, and I found myself overtaking seasoned cyclists where they used to overtake me. The hills are no issue for the bike (around 10%) even with the prevailing wind straight in the face. It does require a bit of effort to get it moving from a standing start on a steep hill.

With a hilly route, the bikes small battery has managed to get me to/from work 3 times on a single charge although the last ride home of the 3, I set off with a single flashing red bar and was really running out of juice at the end. It did however still manage to pull me up the hill, albeit a lot slower than previous attempts but still faster than me on pure peddle power. I now charge it after every 2 days use but have found on good days like today, I get home and have only used 1 bar so probably could do the 3 days again.

To cycle on it's own on anything other than flat does take some exertion and is probably not possible in my area without any assistance. From the 15mph point to get above that takes more effort due to no gears but on the flat is really smooth particularly with the carbon belt which I do love already. A quick watering can full of water is all the maintenance it seems to need, just washing the dirt off, no degreasing, oiling, etc.
The 2 assistance levels advertised are perhaps a bit of a misnomer. low level seems to assist to about 5mph and then stops, high level assists to 15mph, the initial input from the motor appears the same.

IMO - good for my use. A short commute and allows me to keep cycling on days when I would have been in the car. Good for somebody with a reasonable fitness level.
I would not have bought it if I meant to cycle longer distances, however I've decided it fits me and I'm keeping it.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
An excellent review. Thanks. We have two Gtech bikes and find that they meet our cycling needs, though I accept these are probably less onerous than others'.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Thanks, a very informative and useful review (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Always interesting to get good accurate reports on E bikes.
:Ta2:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I had to ride to work the other day as the car spit its dummy out.
Takes around 12 minutes by car....15 minutes by cheap (£600) Chinese leccy bike.
Took longer to get home as more uphill sections and much more traffic than going at 7:15..
Bought the bike in October last year and only done around 20 miles on it up to the other day.
The cars soooo much easier.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
A great review thanks . After snapping his Achilles my husband is looking at EBikes.

OP
OP
adt

adt

Mar 28, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Nuevo
Exp
Since 2016
And here comes the problems.
3 weeks ago, I got home and put the battery on charge. Charged ok with all indications normal but went to turn it on in the morning and it did absolutely nothing. Stuck the charger back on and it indicated the battery was at full charge.

So I contacted Gtech, who after only a couple of questions determined the battery was at fault and would send one out next day delivery. Great customer service.
A week later and the battery still hasn’t turned up.
Another call and an apology saying that their batteries had gone out of stock but a shipment was arriving that weekend and mine would be sent out as a priority, should be in my hands In the early part of the week.

I got to Thursday (definitely not the early part of the week) and rang again. “Sorry sir but we are filling backlog orders first, yours will be sent out when those are done”. So in the mean time I have to make alternative arrangements to get to work. I have given them until tomorrow to get it to me and then I will be seeking a full refund. I’m currently sat with a useless white elephant in the garage for 3 weeks awaiting the replacement of what is obviously a known issue from the lack of questions in the beginning.

OP
OP
adt

adt

Mar 28, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Nuevo
Exp
Since 2016
Was busy late at work on Wednesday so rang through on Thursday, 3 weeks after the original battery failure. I got a very apologetic man on the other end who advised that they had now fulfilled the order and his screen was showing it had been picked up by the courier that day. He could not apologise enough as I should not have received that level of service and certainly not treated the way I was on the last call.

I advised I was still not happy as this had meant me making alternate travel arrangements to work for 3 weeks and I’d lost confidence in their product and support combined that I was left feeling that I could have another instance months down the line where I was stuck again. More apologies but I pointed out that I had rung up for a refund as entitled under sale of goods and consumer rights acts. I had allowed them what I regarded as a reasonable time to repair/replace and now wanted a refund. Was put on hold while he talked to his supervisor and when he came back I got 3 options. A full refund but I would have to pay a £50 return fee and ensure it was all boxed up, a 10% refund and keep the bike or an extra spare battery.

I pointed out that I would not have to pay any fee to get a refund nor be expected to keep packaging due to their product not fulfilling its requirements which he went a bit quiet over but I did opt for the extra battery. This way I get my piece of mind that if another fails I’ve got the spare to fall back on whilst it is replaced again and I do like the bike.

Incidentally, to buy a spare is £300 and they both arrived today, although his statement of having already been picked up was obviously a lie as the courier sent me an email and text the following morning to say they had just picked it up and would advise when the expected delivery time would be.

But I do now have 2 serviceable batteries and I also have to say that it was also very quick and easy to get somebody with a British accent on the other end of the phone using there support service on each of the 4 occasions I phoned.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
6B8440DA-7DE5-4C79-BD70-95498CA3A566.jpeg
We have a Gtech bike each but only for pleasure use and just love them. I agree they are not for the purists but suit us just fine for a leisurely ride out or a trip to Super U. They really suit Lynda as she has not got a clue regarding gears and the incline past our house that sees the lycra clad brigade walking up is just no effort to us two old farts.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
View attachment 202190 We have a Gtech bike each but only for pleasure use and just love them. I agree they are not for the purists but suit us just fine for a leisurely ride out or a trip to Super U. They really suit Lynda as she has not got a clue regarding gears and the incline past our house that sees the lycra clad brigade walking up is just no effort to us two old farts.
I want one as the price is right but can't get my ahead around the no gear bit. When you get to 15mph are your little legs going round like crazy?

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I want one as the price is right but can't get my ahead around the no gear bit. When you get to 15mph are your little legs going round like crazy?
Love it when other people ask what I am thinking, haha

OP
OP
adt

adt

Mar 28, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Nuevo
Exp
Since 2016
When the battery cuts out I still have quite a bit more before my legs are going max for me. I probably top out a few mph above that, probably 18-19

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough

Please do not ask me why but no they do not. You really do need to test drive one to get the feel.

OP
OP
adt

adt

Mar 28, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Nuevo
Exp
Since 2016
Well.
3 months short of 2 years and the bike is now dropping the power intermittently. Particularly annoying as there are no gears to help with the loss of power. Not the battery nor the main connections, it sounds like it is restricting the power to the motor but could be the motor I suppose.

Phoned Gtech - the bikes are now sold and warrantied by Cycle Republic, contact them.
Phoned Cycle Republic - need to get it to a shop to assess it, nearest one to me living outside Whitehaven in West Cumbria is Manchester. You can take it to a local bike shop and get them to look at it, if it is something covered under warranty then we’ll refund you, replace as required.

As my main transport to work, this is a pain in the backside.
I’m left wishing, I’d gone with somebody else now and might look at the Kalkhoff I should have gone with originally !!

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
@adt-sounds like exactly the issue we have with one of our Gtechs. The wife rang GTech as we're in France and were told the same about Cycle Republic. We will have to get it sorted when we return but like you, we feel p*ssed off even though cheap by Kalkhoff standards etc, they're still not cheap at around £1,000. It's clearly a problem.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
By way of feedback, we took the bike into Leeds's branch of Cycle Republic after telephoning them in advance. They 'ummed and ahhed' for a minute or two about difficulty in getting parts from Gtech then agreed they'd have a look and get back to us in a week or so.
We agreed and decided to have lunch in Leeds before returning to York(as I'd worked in Leeds for 30 years). During lunch, Cycle Republic rang to say they'd looked at the bike, found that the cycle management chip was faulty and had replaced it and the bike was good to go. Also, no charge and no arguing of the warranty point even though when we took the bike in the warranty had expired. But we'd reported the fault within the warranty period but were abroad.
So we returned to the shop had a test drive and all's well.
Today we went for a 13 mile bike ride and all was well. So well done Cycle Republic!

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
And in answer to Nirvanauk's original question, your legs don't go round faster and faster when you've reached the 15mph limit because all that happens is that the motor ceases to assist and you can coast or free-ride just like any other bike.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back