LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Can I be the only one who gets annoyed at people who do not have their lights on dark, wet, foggy days? Then there are the number of cars looking like motorbikes with only one headlamp during the night.
You are not alone.

And those clowns who put their front or rear fog lights on when visibility is good, blinding other road users.

And Mr. Trilby Hatt in his Honda Jazz driving at 38mph in the open road, through 30mph limits and past schools, totally oblivious of his surroundings

sewinlynne2

Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Saron Dyfed
Funster No
MH
Elddis Riva GT Gold 175
Exp
since November 2016!!!
Can I be the only one who gets annoyed at people who do not have their lights on dark, wet, foggy days? Then there are the number of cars looking like motorbikes with only one headlamp during the night.

They'll be Millers, pre-facelift ducato MH's with a blown candle. Be careful if you see what you think is one, with both candles lit, its probably one overtaking another. LOL!!!

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
If you have a black car it seem's your exempt from using yer lights. :xdoh:

I wondered why we were having a lot of near misses with our Black Nissan Micra, the amount of times other drivers cut us up or come at us head on, or pull out on us do U turns on us is unbelievable.

John.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Thought my car headlights were a bit dim so decided to replace them with some Phillips Extreme ones. Only when I replaced them did I find my offside dipped headlight had blown. I though all modern vehicles told you about blown bulbs, I know the MH does.

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
When my son was a newish driver, he was put out that several drivers had flashed him on the M25 in poor weather conditions. He asked when he should put his lights on :xeek: I said if most other cars were lit up, that's a pretty good sign!

I think he's learnt a lot since then :xsmile:

Karen

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just as bad at night in town without lights.
Don't they EVER look at their instrument panel.

I usually flash them twice, if they don't get the message by then its tough if they get pulled.

I even followed one daft old sod driving with his rear door WIDE open in town....totally oblivious to the road and traffic noise or the horns and the big lump of tin blocking his rear view, obviously never used his door mirrors either.

No helping some people.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
We were having a meal with friends & a couple of their friends whom we had not met before, when she (sorry) piped up & said that the police had pulled her over for not having lights on, she was incensed because she could see perfectly well:xsurprised:. when I suggested in low light & bad conditions you have your light's on so other road users can see you, she said Oh I never new that:xdoh:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
It's a known fact that Scotsmen are guilty of driving in inclement weather conditions with no lights. They also very rarely use indicators. :xsad: They are convinced that turning their lights on will cost them money. :xsurprised:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
You are not alone. I hate it. Must be as thick as **** if they cannot realise they are hard to see & be seen.
I can never understand what planet they are on. 9 out of 10 have headlights on , then the other silly sod hasn't even though he must see the others, it beggars belief :mad:
You assume that the odd one actually thinks & even knows that they are driving?

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
I think the arrival of auto headlamps are a major menace. The lights operate on and off depending on the sensor. Great enter a tunnel, they come on, back in daylight they go off. The lights are all done for you......no they are not.....not on a foggy day there not. Loads of numpties don't think. The problem is compounded in many cars the show dash lights at all times, in old cars dash lights only operated with the lights, now in many there on all the time, again making the driver think theirs on. Finally there are daytime running lights....hey they are bright and everyone can see me, not from behind they are not, they don't operate the rear lights.
So called advances have caused additional risk. Make the driver operate the vehicle and be responsible for all its functions.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Then there's the latest breed, driving around after dark with only their DRLs lighting up the road ahead and dazzling oncoming drivers, as they are still on daylight brightness, with no lights at all illuminated at the rear (and in most cases, no dashboard lights illuminated either) :blush:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It's a known fact that Scotsmen are guilty of driving in inclement weather conditions with no lights. They also very rarely use indicators. :xsad: They are convinced that turning their lights on will cost them money. :xsurprised:
I had an elderly aunt who wouldn't use her cars heater or radio as she thought they would flatten the battery.
No amount of explaining would convince her otherwise.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
yes to all above, my complete support, just add add my own observations

I have noticed a lot more than I can really understand drivers on sidelights on motorways just because it is lit, is that really legal, I am talking proper dark

then the ones who drive on sidelights in bad weather and or dark just how many of them only have one of the weedy useless things to compound their idiocy

thanks for the thread, I feel better now (y), its not just me

Jul 31, 2016
Fife
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
No, it's not just you. I have no idea why people who drive silver cars think they can drive in thick fog/mist with just side lights on & be seen, it's no problem when following them but, if your stuck behind a slow moving vehicle like a tractor, in a light mist you can't overtake in case one of these idiots is coming towards you!

Plus, it's illegal to drive in the countryside with side lights only, even in broad daylight!!

Phill

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
if your stuck behind a slow moving vehicle like a tractor
Good point :xThumb: Still looking for a tractor/trailer with working rear lights, or a number plate. Great if you can see the tractor, impossible behind a silage trailer...
But of coarse, farmers are a law unto themselves. I just love the way they can self certify their MOT. :xeek:

John&Kate

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
Agreed

But seeing as this thread has started a MOAN .. ..

I find it even more frustrating when you get idiots (and there are LOTS these days) drive around a round about (essentially turning right) without indicating, and THEN they decide to indicate left when they have driven past me to turn off left .. .. WHATS THE POINT .. AAAAAAAAARGGGGHHH :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

:xgrin:

sewinlynne2

Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Saron Dyfed
Funster No
MH
Elddis Riva GT Gold 175
Exp
since November 2016!!!
No, it's not just you. I have no idea why people who drive silver cars think they can drive in thick fog/mist with just side lights on & be seen, it's no problem when following them but, if your stuck behind a slow moving vehicle like a tractor, in a light mist you can't overtake in case one of these idiots is coming towards you!

Plus, it's illegal to drive in the countryside with side lights only, even in broad daylight!!

Phill
It is NOT illegal to drive in the UK in normal daylight hours without showing any lights unless weather and/or road conditions are such that lights are needed to see and be seen.

adt

Mar 28, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Nuevo
Exp
Since 2016
Or those that load up their car and don't lower their headlights so they can blind everybody coming the other way.

And as for some of my fellow cyclists - I got taken the P out of the other day for being clad in yellow, with dayglo and yellow rucksack on my back and having 3 lights at the back (1 steady and 2 flashing).

This at the same time as having been overtaken by a speedster in his go faster black outfit with a single led flashing unit on the back - obviously thought he was Bradley Wiggins and needed the weight and drag reduction !

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I have noticed a lot more than I can really understand drivers on sidelights on motorways just because it is lit, is that really legal, I am talking proper dark

Worst thing they ever did ,& I have no idea why it was done , was light motorways.
All it does is makes the half-wits use full beam on any section without lights!!

Good point :xThumb: Still looking for a tractor/trailer with working rear lights, or a number plate. Great if you can see the tractor, impossible behind a silage trailer...
But of coarse, farmers are a law unto themselves. I just love the way they can self certify their MOT. :xeek:
Having lived in Devon for many years before moving here & having seen the utter illegal rubbish that most 'poor' farmers use on a daily basis at the abbatoir , I expected to find the tractors & farm machinery to be even worse here:cry:. Much to my surprise it is the complete opposite,every light works ,all the stuff is tidy & all up together. flashing beacons all work & any out are repaired straight away.:xThumb:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Are you sure you are not referring to Yorkshiremen....:xsmile:

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Just as bad at night in town without lights.
Don't they EVER look at their instrument panel.

I usually flash them twice, if they don't get the message by then its tough if they get pulled.

I even followed one daft old sod driving with his rear door WIDE open in town....totally oblivious to the road and traffic noise or the horns and the big lump of tin blocking his rear view, obviously never used his door mirrors either.

No helping some people.
Strangely enough, my instrument panel only lights up on full headlights. If, for some reason, I put just side lights on, then the instrument panel stays unlit although I do have driving lights which are OK but whilst they were doing the front, why not do the rear too? Seen many in the dark with only DRL on including the Police.
My pet hate is the lack of indication. Many just hammer their brakes on, slightly point their car slightly to left or right and expect you to know what they're doing.
download.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back