skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
so, we were away at the weekend, great time had by all including furbert.......
got up nice and early to leave for work on monday morning, off down one way system to empty grey at dump point...............
someone about to hitch caravan blocking entire road..........moving it backwards forwards left and right with the motormover.........and again forwards backwards left right....:rolleyes:

now 10 mins in...they saunter over to say they may be a while and are we in a rush?, apart from needing to get to work i reply no, go for it......so they saunter back to the strategically place caravan, and car of course...:cry:

another moho now behind us, so queue forming nicely.

clearly didnt occur to them to move.............the car to the van....!!!

fellow tuggers now come to his aid........;)

now 20 mins in nearly.........:eek:

i relent and get out to avoid further teeth marks in my steering wheel......

now they cant connect the electrics........

more faffing

then, and i love this bit, the tuggers announce actually they dont need the electrics hooked up as they are moving it around the back of the site into storage....

how i didnt stick his electric plug up his @rse still escapes me..........:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
It should gradually get better because at least the youngsters coming through since 1997 actually have to pass a test so should have at least half an idea how to reverse it.

IMHO Motormovers are the worst thing that ever happened to caravans making them accessible to people who really have not got a clue.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Some people have no concept of time and how they waste it dawdling around in their cars, in the streets, in the super markets with their shopping trolleys etc - drives me mad as they always seem to obstruct those who want to get on with life and have things to do!

OP
OP
skylinersi

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Some people have no concept of time and how they waste it dawdling around in their cars, in the streets, in the super markets with their shopping trolleys etc - drives me mad as they always seem to obstruct those who want to get on with life and have things to do!
Glad it's not just me with trolley rage then !!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Glad it's not just me with trolley rage then !!
There's a certain generation who see a trip round the supermarket as a social outing and get right on my chicken breasts.
Usually block the aisle with a trolley and discuss last night's bingo or gossip about every person they know. ..

Probably the same ones hitching that caravan :p

Incidentally they do the same in busy Spanish markets only they a have those bloody trolleys you drag behind you.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
It should gradually get better because at least the youngsters coming through since 1997 actually have to pass a test so should have at least half an idea how to reverse it.

IMHO Motormovers are the worst thing that ever happened to caravans making them accessible to people who really have not got a clue.

I think you will find many physically impaired folk will disagree with your sentiment on motor movers being the worst thing ever to happen to caravans

OP
OP
skylinersi

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I think you will find many physically impaired folk will disagree with your sentiment on motor movers being the worst thing ever to happen to caravans

I don't think he meant it in quite that way.
Indeed they should make people's life easier....if some were capable of reading the instructions, or using some common sense!

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I'm more concerned with the ones who can't tow them on a road than those who can't work them by remote control on a site.
At least the motor mover only goes a few miles an hour.

A tag axle caravan is almost impossible to move without a mover

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
It’s not just tuggers...

Last year we were held up for around 30 mins while a MH was using the only service point.. they took for ever faffing around, then to cap it all walked into the adjacent facilities block with their washing up and started to do this!

No problem with newbies needing time, but common sense would have seen the queue of by now 3 MH waiting to leave the site via services. The warden had a word with them in the end and even then they didn’t exactly move quickly.

Not happy at the time as you can imagine!

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Your mistake was in slavishly complying with the non legally enforceable one way system.
At the first sign of tuggers using motormover, I'd have been in reverse pronto.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
The warden had a word with them in the end and even then they didn’t exactly move quickly.

No doubt after that the referred to the wardens as "little Hitlers".

We have also been stuck behind people doing similar but it's part of campsite life...... I now tend to leave the grey valve open and a bucket underneath on site (empty frequently) and top up the fresh water with a watering can / big bottle and funnel so rarely use the service point unless we have been without services for a night or two.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
every time Jo comes back from Morrisons she plays hell about trolley leaning blockers and group meetings centre aisle.....and people digging out their cheque books and then writing full cheques that could have been half filled in before hand:mad::mad::mad:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
According to some it is possible to reverse a caravan into any location, no need for movers if you can drive etc.........not views that I hold with and I have been driving artics and caravans since 1970
I agree ...i never had a mover on any of my caravans including the tag axle ..
But I could get it in any space while still hooked up.
But if you unhitch it then trying to manouver a tag is a while other ballgame to a single axle.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
every time Jo comes back from Morrisons she plays hell about trolley leaning blockers and group meetings centre aisle.....and people digging out their cheque books and then writing full cheques that could have been half filled in before hand:mad::mad::mad:

Ah the pace of modern life, retirement is a wonderful thing;)

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
There's a certain generation who see a trip round the supermarket as a social outing and get right on my chicken breasts.
Usually block the aisle with a trolley and discuss last night's bingo or gossip about every person they know. ..

Probably the same ones hitching that caravan :p

Incidentally they do the same in busy Spanish markets only they a have those bloody trolleys you drag behind you.
I live in Sherborne which is a small town and was a GP there for many years. Trying to get round the supermarket quickly is an impossibility due to chats with old patients who like to bring me up to date on what's been happening in their own and their families lives. Some colleagues avoid
shopping in town for that reason but I think it's lovely although it does tend to mean I rarely come back with what I went out for!

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
It’s not just tuggers...

Last year we were held up for around 30 mins while a MH was using the only service point.. they took for ever faffing around, then to cap it all walked into the adjacent facilities block with their washing up and started to do this!

No problem with newbies needing time, but common sense would have seen the queue of by now 3 MH waiting to leave the site via services. The warden had a word with them in the end and even then they didn’t exactly move quickly.

Not happy at the time as you can imagine!
Had exactly that last Sunday. They parked up at the service point not to dump waste etc ( nowhere near the drain) but to faff around and it seems use the shower block. After 15 mins and two more MH’s behind me they both wandered out of the respective blocks all Spock and span and said “sorry, were you waiting?” The response of “no, I had half an hour to spare so thought I would block the road” was greeted with “no need to be offensive”. Sorry, but the MHS is not a parking spot.........

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
When I sold stuff on eBay now and again I'd nip up to the post office in my lunchtime to post it. One day in a long queue of wrinklies collecting pensions, buying TV stamps, postcards and postal orders for the grandkids one remarked: "I always come in here at lunchtime as it's so nice to see lots of people about".

Here's French logic for you............

At a post office in France (2 windows open out of 5) every person was having a long chat with the counter staff about the family ills, the price of fish etc., then the staff member would disappear out the back for a couple of minutes. All I wanted was a stamp. When I finally got to the counter I jokingly said the young lady: "My goodness, you are very busy in here". I couldn't fault her reply: "All the while I have a queue I have a job".

Deleted User
I agree ...i never had a mover on any of my caravans including the tag axle ..
But I could get it in any space while still hooked up.
But if you unhitch it then trying to manouver a tag is a while other ballgame to a single axle.

I could get the caravan in most places in the UK without movers but many sites in Spain especially are just far too restrictive and to get the van in the best position needed unhitching.

I made sure that the last caravan we had, sold only 3 years ago, had movers on, getting too old for pushing vans about and I do not now help anyone else to push, I have only got one back and I look after it:)

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I can never get my head around the mentality of tuggers that cannot carry or wheel their loo cassette in some cases 30 yards to the service point, no they have to stick in their car and drive it there. I did see them one morning last year on a site in Dorset queuing in their cars waiting to empty, moving one car length at a time to the service point. :Eeek:

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Which reminds me of last Christmas in a long queue of folk buying stamps to send parcels and cards to Timbuktu, Togo, Australia, Wales etc., when a couple of old dears waiting to collect their pensions began huffing and puffing about the long wait. I explained that they shouldn't blame the counter staff as they were merely following the Gov't's austerity instructions to keep old people waiting in the hope that they'll die before collecting their pensions.
(How we all laughed).

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
All you that are moaning about being held up by inexperienced tuggers holding you up when you decide it’s time to move on in your vehicle with its driven wheels should surely realise it’s pay back time, yes this is the payment you have to make for all the free entertainment you received whilst sitting in the window of your nicely parked vehicle watching poor old Joe struggling on his annual trip with the family trying to back up to the allotted white stick on his designated pitch and then......fun of fun, oh how you laughed when the poor sod tried to assemble the awning frame in the pissing rain, oh yes we’ve all done it!!, maybe, just maybe poor old tugger joe in his perverse manner is getting his own back having spied the hilarity generated by his efforts.

Norfolk Nomad

Free Member
Feb 23, 2017
Feltwell
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2017
What annoys the hell out of me is people doing their shopping at filling stations, they fill up, leave their car at the pump, then wander off for 15 minutes. Shopping, getting coffee, it's a filling station, fill-up and park out of the way. Morons:mad::mad::mad:

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I drove the wrong way around Beadnell site to get to the service point, I genuinely hadn't seen the No Entry sign. I met a van coming the other way, so I cheerfully pulled onto the grass (still in my ignorance) and gave him a polite wave as he drove past, thinking I was being courteous by pulling over. Well, the look of absolute disgust and the venom in his eyes was a sight to behold, I thought he'd maybe had a mishap at the Elsan and got splashback on his cravat and trews !
I was expecting to be marched in front of the warden, have my fire bucket confiscated and my windbreak poles broken across his knee !:LOL:

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
What annoys the hell out of me is people doing their shopping at filling stations, they fill up, leave their car at the pump, then wander off for 15 minutes. Shopping, getting coffee, it's a filling station, fill-up and park out of the way. Morons:mad::mad::mad:

And the berks that pull up to a pump, Don't put fuel in and bugger of to do their shopping, along with those that park across the pavement making the pushchairs and the blind walk around them in the road. :mad:

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
this is the payment you have to make for all the free entertainment you received whilst sitting in the window of your nicely parked vehicle watching poor old Joe struggling on his annual trip with the family trying to back up to the allotted white stick on his designated pitch and then......fun of fun, oh how you laughed when the poor sod tried to assemble the awning frame in the pissing rain, oh yes we’ve all done it!!
Yes there is a certain smugness watching other people faff about when it takes you all of 5 mins to "set up" (max 15 if we want to put the tarp up too). I don't think its so much caravans Vs motorhomes though...its more the "take the basics" vs "take the kitchen sink" - we've watched motorhomers faff around just as much with awnings, windbreaks etc.

Whilst we've never had a caravan ourselves my family holidays as a teenager were always in the caravan - but luckily dad was a dab hand at manoevering onto almost any pitch, so only the last few adjustments were made by hand (y) I was amazed our first weekend away in the MH when I saw this thing on wheel of the caravan next to us which turned out to be a motor mover - I didn't even know such things existed until 2 years ago!

Looking back though, I'm sure my dad would have been one of the ones we'd love watching now.....everyone had their jobs so it was all set up pretty smoothly, but the awning had to be adjusted so it was perfectly taut and the skirt had to be pegged down at exactly the right angle and the groundsheet had to be wrinkle-free. But that's what made him happy, so live and let live ;)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I live in Sherborne which is a small town and was a GP there for many years. Trying to get round the supermarket quickly is an impossibility due to chats with old patients who like to bring me up to date on what's been happening in their own and their families lives. Some colleagues avoid
shopping in town for that reason but I think it's lovely although it does tend to mean I rarely come back with what I went out for!

Yes, I get that with clients from my last job - I am supposed to have no contact with them for 5 years after leaving but impossible in a place where everyone knows everything :)

When I sold stuff on eBay now and again I'd nip up to the post office in my lunchtime to post it. One day in a long queue of wrinklies collecting pensions, buying TV stamps, postcards and postal orders for the grandkids one remarked: "I always come in here at lunchtime as it's so nice to see lots of people about".

The lady next door says that Mondays should be reserved for pensioners and no other business should be done in the post office that day!!!!!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back