Phil56

Free Member
Jan 25, 2014
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Still searching for the ideal motorhome for a year in Europe/Morocco with self, wife and dog! Following advice on this forum I've drawn up my list of essential and desirable specs and have spent hours wandering around dealers looking at different types of van. Seen several that almost fit the bill - but, I guess like everything, it all seems to involve compromise. Two in particular seem OK. One was a Hymer A Class. But, to my untutored eye, it had almost no ground clearance beneath the van. The end of the exhaust was probably no more than an inch off the deck, and the rest of the van not much higher. I'm told it is because it has a 'double' floor for insulation purposes. But I'm not sure you could take this anywhere off a black top road; could even be a struggle to get onto campsites, I think. Another van had better ground clearance but had a large garage (which we want) with a huge (it seemed to me) overhang at the rear. I'm not even sure you could get it up a ramp to go on a ferry without the back of the van grounding.
That said, the people who design and make these things must know what they are doing. Is ground clearance something I should be worrying about? Maybe I am getting too stressed about going to Morocco? We don't intend to go wadi bashing, but it would be good to be able to access wild camping spots without leaving the exhaust and half the bottom behind.
I am new to this (first MH). Should I forget about ground clearance? Is it a non-issue?
Thanks,
Phil

OP
OP
P

Phil56

Free Member
Jan 25, 2014
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Bang on the button again, Jean Luc! Just looked at a new-ish Elddis, and have to say that even to my untutored eye it didn't look made to last. Even the dealer said that it wasn't what we wanted since things like water pumps and heaters on the Elddis were designed for a week on the road now and again, not for living in for a protracted period.

Have also been looking at a 2004 Hymer B654. It is more than we wanted to spend, by quite a margin. But it does tick our boxes - and presumably will have a good resale value? Call me a wimp - but I don't fancy heading off into the wild blue yonder in anything less than a well built, reputable and reliable van.

Any thoughts? I think I am slowly getting there - thanks to you guys.

Phil

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
The B654 is a great motorhome, provided you do not need the extra storage space of a full-width garage and are happy with the 'French bed' at the back with the cut-off corner (customised or DIY fitted sheets in order I guess). The B654 was one of Hymer's most popular models judging by the numbers I see about. The 2.8JTD engine is well-proven and so long as it has been serviced regularly and the camshaft belt has been changed at the correct intervals, it should run for many miles. The other thing to check is that the rear torsion bar suspension on the Alko chassis has been lubricated regularly. The back end has to be jacked up and supported with the wheels hanging free, then grease must be pumped in. This is true of any van with an Alko rear chassis.
If you like the size and layout but want more ground clearance, the B655 Star line has an identical layout but is built on a Merc Sprinter chassis. But I'm afraid they are a lot less common and cost a bit more.

Just noticed this B654 on Peter Hambilton's website. He is not selling it but is listing it for a customer - it has quite a few extras and might be worth considering.
Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back