Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
We've been putting grommets into sails and covers for years, and we needed some for the windblocker interior blinds that we are making from some cheap ripstop nylon. Jan bought some online, bigger than we normally use, and there was no tooling with them, so I just made my own. It took a few goes to get the punch the right shape to roll the edge over properly. The arbor press makes sure of the proper alignment of the woefully thin brass grommetts, avoiding the usual distortion. I'll show the finished job tomorrow.
John
20200713_165319.jpg

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
With those cheap 'brass' eyelets you could use a bench drill as a press.
Some come with the tools needed and would probably fit in the drill chuck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I bought one of those multi size hole punches that you spin round to get the hole size you want, then squeeze the handles together to punch the hole. First and only time I used them, they just crumpled up at the pivot joint, absolute rubbish. My parents had a set that were yonks old and were great.
Why manufactures bother to set up tooling and make jigs for something that isn't gonna work from the get go, but with minor modifications, would produce a decent product is beyond me (it can only be greed !)

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I've used these successfully:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun