Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Ok so im slowly building up the equipment needed before we use our Bessacarr E560 motorhome for the 1st time :)
After lots of reading and looking at levelers i have just bought a set of Milenco Quattro ramps.
Next on my list to get is Grip mats , now i know loads use old bread crates ^^ , but i am unable to get any so will have to splash the cash ......
I was originally looking at buying something like http://tracmat.com/index.php?
bu have decided that they would take up to much space and be to heavy to carry all the time , plus with me living in N.Ireland most suppliers do not post them to here , and any that do add on a small fortune.
So what other ones would my fellow fundsters recommend.
here a 2 that i seen people talk about.
Amazon product ASIN B003Q3FTG8
Or

Amazon product ASIN B00K2YT3P2
Sugestions :)

P.s with either of the both above i would probably buy 4 in total as they are not expensive.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
@Geo yar seen them last night when i was looking on the bay , collection only + a bit far for me to drive from N.ireland :)
Thanks

Upvote 0

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
@joedeath332 The milenco tread mats worked a treat today. The rear wheels had sunk slightly so Alan just reversed ever so slightly then slowly drove forward. He kept going once started and I picked up the mats an followed him off the field.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Ours have been handy on 3 occaisions when we were stuck.

I also used them to help a daft Dutch motorhomer off a pitch in Normandy who was revving the guts out of his engine and spinning his wheels.

I didn't get as much as a thank you either, ignorant sod.

LOL sure thats typical , help someone out and .........

What sort of traction mats etc do you have ?

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
LOL sure thats typical , help someone out and .........

What sort of traction mats etc do you have ?

We have the milenco yellow ones.

Just basic jobbies, lightweight.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
darn confused which ones t go for now lol

Same ,, i think atm my mind as swaying with a pair of either Milenco or Fiamma Mats AND a pair of Grip Mats , in the mean time also try to get a hold of a few FAMOUS BREAD CRATES :D
or i could just buy 2 x Waffle boards ,, but with them im concerned about storage space + will cost me a fortune in postage to buy them.

Upvote 0

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
towing for 20 odd years but now have our first motorhome.
In case anyone is interested I bought these in Aldi. Sorry cannot remember price but I doubt they would have been too expensive or I would not have bought them.

Attachments

• tracks.jpg
    tracks.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 40
  • track4.jpg
    track4.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 35
  • track3.jpg
    track3.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 36
  • track2.jpg
    track2.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 34
Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
£7.99 inc postage better than nowt

$_12 (2).JPG

Attachments

• $_12 (2).JPG
    $_12 (2).JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 3
Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
In case anyone is interested I bought these in Aldi. Sorry cannot remember price but I doubt they would have been too expensive or I would not have bought them.
i picked up a couple of those from the reduced bin at aldi paid £3.99 rather than £6.99. in the boot of wifes car

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We have the BLACK Milenco grip mats, and very good they are too.

Accidentally drove off a hard standing into soft sand on a French campsite and sunk the front wheels up to the axles. Thought there was no way we would get out without a tow.

However, just dug a bit of sand out from behind the front wheels, put the grip mats in place and with a bit of power on the engine climbed right back out of the sand hole. I was amazed, and so was the audience that was by now watching. Whole process took little more than five minutes.

As a consequence, we now carry two pairs of Milenco BLACK grip mats. And we normally put the front wheels on the mats when parked on grass, especially if the ground is damp or rain is forecast. It takes moments and can save huge amounts of hassle...

As an aside, I noticed at least one previous poster referring to yellow Milenco mats, however, unless I'm mistaken, I don't believe they make them in yellow, only black. Yellow ones must be another manufacturer; perhaps Fiamma?

All I can say is the Milencos are very good! Also their levellers too - we have the triple height ones.

Mike

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
@mikebeaches Mike were you going forward when you got stuck , then placed the mats behind your front wheels after you got stuck , then you reversed out from where you were stuck,
Is that correct ?
Just wanted to know what worked for you incase i ever need to unstick myself :D :D :D which im sure i will :cry::cry:

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I will apologise in advance if this has been mentioned before. My personal opinion is that grip mats are wholly superfluous. They rarely work, and there is something much more efficient you can carry to get you out of a muddy field. That item is beer!
"But why?" I hear you ask, well, when you get bogged down, and eventually it is going to happen, grab a 4 pack of said beers and go around your fellow campers. Eventually you are going to find a tugger who has a 4X4, whilst making the said 4 pack obvious you propose the following: "excuse me, I am stuck, would you mind towing me to the gravel?"
Works every time, you are free, 4X4 owner has a tipple for his trouble - everyone is happy! :D
You should make sure you have a tow rope, not everyone does, and they don't take up much room! :D

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
You should make sure you have a tow rope, not everyone does, and they don't take up much room! :D
a high capacity tow strap takes up even less room than the equivalent rope and lighter than a chain. I found a source of ex military but unissued 9 tonne straps a while back and posted here. they were sold out within 48hours

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
a high capacity tow strap takes up even less room than the equivalent rope and lighter than a chain. I found a source of ex military but unissued 9 tonne straps a while back and posted here. they were sold out within 48hours
I'm a cheap skate, I still have the tow rope I nicked from my father when I was 18! :D

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a cheap skate, I still have the tow rope I nicked from my father when I was 18! :D
the straps I found and many members bought were only £4.50 as I recall so a bargain even to penny pinchers. have seen so many ropes snap like cotton when pulling a motorhome or car and caravan through mud

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
@mikebeaches Mike were you going forward when you got stuck , then placed the mats behind your front wheels after you got stuck , then you reversed out from where you were stuck,
Is that correct ?
Just wanted to know what worked for you incase i ever need to unstick myself :D :D :D which im sure i will :cry::cry:
Indeed, I should have mentioned that. Yes, I reversed out of the sand hole back onto the hardstanding. Going forward would just have taken me deeper into the sand.

Small point to add - went to pick up the mats after use and they'd both disappeared.... into the sand. Quickly recovered however. And a got a big cheer from the crowd when the van popped back out of the hole (was on an international Suntrecker rally at the time). :)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back