Jun 19, 2021
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Expedition 66
Exp
Nee
Evening everyone,

I‘m a metal detectorist and will be parking in fields regularly. This weekend I had been parked for 3 days and had a little bit of wheel spin when driving away (FWD), but took it gently and all was okay. Milenco have two sizes of mats and I’m thinking of getting the longer mats of 106 cm.

Is it okay to just park on the mats for a couple of days rather than using them if I get stuck?

Many thanks

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Having got stuck in a soft spot on the way into the Thetford Bash this year, I found the thin grip tracks are as about as useful as a chocolate teapot.
Thankfully many hands and some Funsters bread trays got us out of the mire, but I wrecked their bread trays for them.
Not to go through that experance again, I have bought a couple of pair of waffle boards that have the top surface impregnated with grit for extra grip.

<Broken link removed>

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I’ve had the milenco floppy things and wasn’t impressed with them. So I got a set of these, but was so impressed immediately bought a second set.

I’ve got a set of waffles in the garage, but they are heavy, and very chunky/unforgiving for van storage. You also have to deal with them once used. Then they really get heavy, with all the holes filled with wet mud.

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Evening everyone,

I‘m a metal detectorist and will be parking in fields regularly. This weekend I had been parked for 3 days and had a little bit of wheel spin when driving away (FWD), but took it gently and all was okay. Milenco have two sizes of mats and I’m thinking of getting the longer mats of 106 cm.

Is it okay to just park on the mats for a couple of days rather than using them if I get stuck?

Many thanks
I've got the Milenco grip mats and they've got us out of serious trouble a couple of times - I carry 4 now, because they don't take too much space and don't weight a lot either. Storage is at a premium on our van conversion. I reckon they are better than most lightweight ones because they've got fairly aggressive grooves.

And yes, just park your driving wheels on them for as long as you like. Your car is no doubt much lighter weight than our 3.5 ton van, and we do it regularly if parked on dodgy ground for however long. :giggle:

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 175
Exp
Having got stuck in a soft spot on the way into the Thetford Bash this year, I found the thin grip tracks are as about as useful as a chocolate teapot.
Thankfully many hands and some Funsters bread trays got us out of the mire, but I wrecked their bread trays for them.
Not to go through that experance again, I have bought a couple of pair of waffle boards that have the top surface impregnated with grit for extra grip.

<Broken link removed>
The link comes back no longer available Paul.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Larafach
Jun 19, 2021
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Expedition 66
Exp
Nee
I've got the Milenco grip mats and they've got us out of serious trouble a couple of times - I carry 4 now, because they don't take too much space and don't weight a lot either. Storage is at a premium on our van conversion. I reckon they are better than most lightweight ones because they've got fairly aggressive grooves.

And yes, just park your driving wheels on them for as long as you like. Your car is no doubt much lighter weight than our 3.5 ton van, and we do it regularly if parked on dodgy ground for however long. :giggle:
Thank you. These are the mats I’m thinking of buying. They’re 10 cm tall, do you know if parking on these would this stop my fridge working? It’s on a side wall.

Attachments

• 9A663FA2-D725-4E5A-8BD1-942D9400F514.jpeg
    9A663FA2-D725-4E5A-8BD1-942D9400F514.jpeg
    694.1 KB · Views: 122
Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
We upgraded to the black Milenco ones and went for 4 of them.
They are stored under the mattress so take up no space per se.

Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2018
Nantwich, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781C Emotion
Exp
Caravanning over 30 years, Motorhoming 16 months

<Broken link removed>
Not hear of them
Thanks
Ordering as soon as we get back from France

Upvote 0
Dec 23, 2018
Funster No
MH
Researching which type.
Exp
Future newbie from caravanning for 44 years
Evening everyone,

Many thanks
I have four Milenco mats and park on them if on grass. They do slightly distort with the weight but will reshape in time. I sleep better knowing they are there.

Upvote 0
Nov 24, 2017
Emsworth, UK
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
Our Fiat Ducato Van conversion was stuck in mud when trying to leave Wickham festival this year. The ground was very soft after overnight rain, which resulted in the driven wheels simply digging in when we tried to leave. We had 4 breadbaskets in anticipation of getting stuck but these proved to be of no help. I managed to get two under the front wheels but they simply bent to the shape of the wheel pit and the wheels spun with no traction. The tyres were new but the treads were full of compacted mud so effectively a smooth surface. Digging out the mud from the treads didn't help. We were eventually towed out by a tractor, and many others suffered the same fate.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back