LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Traveling along the road yesterday, I noticed a cattle truck leaking all over the place, add to this the other animal 'dumps' etc along with the rubbish that comes out of humans and other waste that is seen all over your countryside. Well this got me wondering...

Why is dumping grey water so bad?
In my case the worst that gets in the tank is the odd bit of washing up liquid (bio) water, some soapy water and that really it...

Is that as bad as a horse dumping its bowels?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Trains are even worse - they dump their black waste directly onto the lines!

Reactions: JJ

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I don't have a problem with dumping grey waste almost anywhere.

If I am on a site I dump it correctly, if not I just dump it in a discreet way.

I don't see what all the fuss is about, especially with dogs peeing and shi££ing everywhere

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Middle age man (45ish) sic. walked into a bank and took a dump...

Apparently it stank...

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
I am one of those who thinks that opening the grey valve and letting the contents out on the road to be a heinous crime.
Imagine my horror then when arriving at Lincoln after a drive down from Misterton to find water dripping out of my grey pipe!
I had forgotten to close the valve after emptying out but obviously there would have been some water left which had been spilling out as we drove.
I will accept my punishment like a man!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I had to smile, discretely, in Misterton. As the dog walkers diligently picked up their dogs little feces the rest of us were diligently avoiding treading in dirty great horse droppings.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I had to smile, discretely, in Misterton. As the dog walkers diligently picked up their dogs little feces the rest of us were diligently avoiding treading in dirty great horse droppings.

Well around here if they pick it up at all they then hang it on a fence or hedge that's despite there being bins for it, dirty b******s make me sick shouldn't be allowed to keep dogs IMO. My two year old grand daughter loves to go and feed the ducks every time she visits but I have to carry her because there's so much dog mess on the path around the ponds its not safe for her to walk.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
The dumping of grey water on a road is more of a perceived problem than actual however the general public perceive it as a problem and hence it gives motorhomers a bad name. Vans passing my site with the water tap open soon get told, no matter how far I have to chase them, it just adds more ammunition to the council in their efforts to prevent CL's getting a licence.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Well around here if they pick it up at all they then hang it on a fence or hedge that's despite there being bins for it, dirty b******s make me sick shouldn't be allowed to keep dogs IMO. My two year old grand daughter loves to go and feed the ducks every time she visits but I have to carry her because there's so much dog mess on the path around the ponds its not safe for her to walk.

I don't think it is the dogs fault, they are not the ones hanging it on the fence! Like most other problems in the world, it is People, that's the problem! :)

Whatton

Free Member
Apr 30, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
The grease in the water is a real problem for cyclists and bikers. It's bad enough with lorry drivers spewing diesel on bends and traffic islands without motorhomes adding extra hazards. Dump it in a hedge or down a drain, not a problem, but don't piss it all over the road.

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Quiet day Dave :D

Not really Dave, I was simply watching a cattle truck and the amount of stuff that came out of that.. Even Old Mo after a Vindaloo or Hilldweller after a drinking session could not produce that much, that would be as dangerous to cyclist as would the contents of my grey water.

I think its the perception by the public that the grey is actually black, so they think that the liquid is wee...

Mind you in France the just pee on the side of the road anyhow...

So lets me having a mature discussion re grey water and what are the true facts...NOT what we think or suspect...

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Can we start a smoking thread too?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If grey water has grease in it then it's going to be slippy and dangerous. Detergents may help mitigate the problem. Water on the road in freezing conditions will turn to ice - again dangerous.

I agree that mud and animal effluent are much worse than grey water but two wrongs are two wrongs and there is no excuse for people dribbling their grey waste. BTW farmers and livestock hauliers can be prosecuted / fined for fouling the highway. One farmer near here has been issued with a warning about mud on the road just this last week. So my opinion? Don't dump / dribble on the road.

Personally I've never had a problem disposing of grey waste on site (in the disposal facility) or at home through the settlement / septic tank (no mains drains here and no effluent to be discharged directly to soakaways due to being in the Tweed Valley water catchment system and a high water table).

Putting grey water into hedges..... I'm not so sure about this as "grey water" can contain all sorts of food and other waste. A lot would depend on exactly where you were and what sort of quantity you were dumping. If you were in a sensitive eco-system (and you may not even know that you are in such a system) then don't dump in the hedge. Soil may well filter out a lot of solids and microbes, bacteria, insects and so on will deal with anything they can eat but if the water contains soluble minerals from elsewhere these will end up in the water courses and perhaps have an adverse effect. If you are going to dump grey waste in the hedge then make sure it is not running back onto the road. Personally I wouldn't use the hedge.........

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Know exactly what you mean about Cattle Trucks, driving in my rag top Sunbeam years ago, roof down met up with a cattle truck coming the other way loaded with Bobby Calves,( don't know if you know this but their first feed scours them, some are lucky enough to grab a feed before they are taken away for slaughter )
Me, going one way, top down, cattle truck coming the other way, narrow road, green steaming stream coming out the side of Truck!!!!!

Lucky it stopped before we passed each other:oops:

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
I think the dog bins are to high! How's a dog suppose to read what the bins for let alone reach it for a dump!

Ps. We don't have any pets

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I wouldn't dump it on the road but anywhere else is fair game . It's only a bit of washing up water and shower water after all. I am not a scientist but I suspect the small volumes involved are unlikely to cause an ecological disaster .

I agree with the comment made above though that non motorhomers think it is wee wee so it does pay to be discreet.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
by all means dump sensibly on grass (not the pitch you are just leaving though) and not somewhere that might get directly into surface drains or streams, key thing for me is don't travel with waste valves open, then the dregs will not cause offence to onlookers or worse bystanders

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I do so love the grey water threads, so much fun now that common sense has died :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back