Grey Water Tank Wierdness (1 Viewer)

May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
Hi folks, have an 2019 Autotrail Delaware HB. I’ve noticed a couple of weeks ago that the grey tank was emptying very slowly, and flushed it from the drain with a hose. Seemed to fix it.

Now it seems the full tank sensor alerts even when I know there is little in the tank, and draining starts with a gush then just trickles. At that point the sensor shows empty again, maybe two buckets drawn off?

I’m guessing, it’s a faulty sensor, or perhaps somehow the waste water is being held at the top of the tank where the sensor might (I’ve really no idea) be situated. Or maybe a breather pipe blocked or kinked.

I’ve looked for access to tank hatches in the van floor but find none? Not sure how to access the tanks otherwise? Any suggestions would be welcomed?

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Can you unscrew the drain pipe & check the outlet is clear at the tank end? Plus Waste sensor's are notoriously unreliable they get furred up & stop sending, I don't even bother with ours,

OP
OP
I
May 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Can you unscrew the drain pipe & check the outlet is clear at the tank end? Plus Waste sensor's are notoriously unreliable they get furred up & stop sending, I don't even bother with ours,
Any idea how to access the tank internal - a hatch perhaps?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Unless things have changed the sensor will be just pushed into the side of the tank,you'll have to get underneath and look for the wires!

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Any idea how to access the tank internal - a hatch perhaps?
There was no hatch on our 04 Mohican, 4 bolts held the outlet pipe onto the tank, which I took off & modified when I added a 2nd waste tank, I just made sure there wasn't anything blocking the outlet before putting it all back together.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Sounds like your tank has a lot of gunge in it. This can coat the sensor and big bits will block the outlet tap. I've never really found a complete cure for it and all cures are temporary. A thin twig can clear the blockage depending on the layout of the pipe and how far you can poke it up the pipe. :)

You could try one of these treatments for unblocking drains, filling the grey tank and leaving it for a few hours. Obviously there is a risk but most houses have plastic pipes so they shouldn't do any harm to anything.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Usually a rather large screw lid on the underside.. might have to remove a circular piece of the insulation (if it has any) to see it.
But to clean it, I'll drain it at the campsite to about 1/4 then chuck some bleach down the sink and wash it down into the tank before leaving for home.
Let that 1/4 tank slosh about all the way home and then IMMEDIATELY on arrival, dump it in the veg / garden / lawn / hedge. Usually comes out like 007... shaken not stirred.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
You could buy some tank cleaner, then half fill the waste tank with clean water and drive around for an hour then drain it out. We usually do this on the way home after using the van

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We use cheap full fat cola from Aldi or suchlike. Two 2ltr bottles into an empty tank, drive around a bit then dump. Works for us.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
On my 2013 Autotrail Mohawk the sensors are just a stainless steel screw that goes through a rubber bung into the tank so as you wind the screw in it expands the rubber to hold it in place. Mine drove me crackers with incorrect readings so I fitted Horst miracle probes and they have been spot on so far, they fit exactly the same way so it was a case of old out new in. I got mine direct from the states about half the price that tank blankets are quoting and that was including the import duty. They have been in well over a year now and no false reading at all so all good but they are not cheap. Link below and I see they are available on flea-bay

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hi, I had an issue like yours some years ago it turned out to be plastic dwarf in the drainpipes from where the makers had fitted the pipwork I had to clean the tank out by hand through a screw-in cap and back flush from the waste tap read swarf not dwarf ,stupid predictive text .:D2

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Hi, I had an issue like yours some years ago it turned out to be plastic dwarf in the drainpipes from where the makers had fitted the pipwork I had to clean the tank out by hand through a screw-in cap and back flush from the waste tap read swarf not dwarf ,stupid predictive text .:D2
Plastic Dwarf is funnier though :p

OP
OP
I
May 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Thanks all.

The tank is insulated, not had a chance to check underside for access.

Van is only 3 months old and used for 8 weeks total, never had grease, oil or fat put down the drains so shouldn’t be blocked with that.

I’ll investigate further but sure one of the suggested remedies will fix it!

Cheers

Ian

Korgrocker

Free Member
Jan 22, 2019
Dunfermline
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 285 - 2018
Exp
Since 2013
All I have done with mine is replace the silly little plastic valve, which had a tendency to trap solid bits of waste, being the smallest orifice before the outside world, with a decent size brass ball valve. Tank empties much quicker. The other effective strategy is to avoid putting any solid or oil/grease based product down the waste pipe. In particular don't put porridge dregs down the sink!

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
wonderful stuff

1565878205164.png

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Or this stuff (ordered by mistake as we actually wanted the cassette stuff):doh:
1565882641809.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back