Grey Water In Shower! (1 Viewer)

Sep 10, 2017
Funster No
We had an awful smell in our van today, after blaming the dog and then the kids we thought we had better find out what it was!
The grey tank was showing 75% full, meaning somewhere between 75% and full. We had driven down a very steep hill and the grey water had come up through the shower plugs. Luckily the water had stayed in the tray.
That will teach us to let it get nearly full. Where we had been staying didn’t have a drive over drain and we knew the next place did so thought we would wait until then, we won’t be doing that again.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
If you
We had an awful smell in our van today, after blaming the dog and then the kids we thought we had better find out what it was!
The grey tank was showing 75% full, meaning somewhere between 75% and full. We had driven down a very steep hill and the grey water had come up through the shower plugs. Luckily the water had stayed in the tray.
That will teach us to let it get nearly full. Where we had been staying didn’t have a drive over drain and we knew the next place did so thought we would wait until then, we won’t be doing that again.
Top Tip:- If you open the valve before you drive off, that doesn’t happen(y)

Also helps keep the roads clean

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sep 10, 2017
Funster No
If you
Top Tip:- If you
open the valve before you drive off, that doesn’t happen(y)

Also helps keep the roads clean

I’ve heard that cyclist and motorbikes really appreciate it as well as it helps keep them clean. I should have done that rather than emptying it in a lay-by to help water the hedges

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 24, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Still learning 😊
Well as a biker I am going to bite at this thread
Seeing motorhomes with the valves open spewing out grey waste as they drive along the highways and byways really makes my blood boil. Whilst I realise the above comments where made tongue in cheek (I hope) this practise should come with a fine it is extremely dangerous to motorbikes and cycles.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
As a biker for over 50 years, I have never seen a motorhome dribbling grey waste when I've been riding. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I just think it's a rare occurrence.

Anyway, I'm normally going so fast, it's all just a blur:)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Well, as you say it is tongue in cheek, but then again as some very experienced riders say that a bit of grey water isn't exactly the most hazardous! thing that they will encounter during a ride.

But I expect that some motorcyclists don't like riding when it is raining or the roads are wet?

Who knows?

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
We had driven down a very steep hill and the grey water had come up through the shower plugs. Luckily the water had stayed in the tray.

Would it be possible to stick a bath plug or rubber bung in the shower tray.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Our Globecar shower tray has plugs ... not really sure why!

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Best use tote tank and empty in designated area before you leave , a bit of exercise does you good, I think ;)

Jul 20, 2018
Bridport Dorset
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 655
Exp
Trailer tent for 10 years Motorhome since 2018
I guess if you had an overzealous environmental officer in a car behind you he could report you for "fly tipping", ie dumping waste without a permit or within the public realm??

OP
OP
Sep 10, 2017
Funster No
As some seem to take Eddie’s suggestion and my response seriously I will clarify that I have never dumped grey water on the road or in a hedge.
When I stayed at Cornish Farm I just left the grey water open so that it could drain on the pitch, much easier and safer for all. ;)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I guess if you had an overzealous environmental officer in a car behind you he could report you for "fly tipping", ie dumping waste without a permit or within the public realm??
There was a bloke years ago who had a 'james bond' thing attached to the rear of the car for dumping fluid behind & if I recall correctly he was stopped by the police & I'm sure the fine was 1k. Got to be 20 + years ago.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
On American vans we have what is called "Highway Dispersal"

When we drive our RV's, the on board macerator grinds a 50\50 mix of the contents of the black and grey tanks, then sprays it into a nozzle on each of the exhaust manifolds of the V10 engine.

As the manifold is red hot it vapourises the "Poo" mix coming out of the exhaust as steam

So motorcyclists riding behind a RV remember, whilst your peering at the road to see if you can have a self righteous rant at the driver for a dribble shower water over the road (some say harmlessly) your being covered in micro droplets of their Poo!

@Jim, in his RV has taken his a stage further and can "aim" his discharge!

Now Thor have bailed Hymer out, I expect to see these types of improvements on Hymers bringing them into the 21st Century with environmental disposal methods such as this

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
I prefer to just leave the black valve open, 'cos it does not contain soap and grease and so its not dangerous to bikes etc. :gum:

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Seeing motorhomes with the valves open spewing out grey waste as they drive along the highways and byways really makes my blood boil. Whilst I realise the above comments where made tongue in cheek (I hope) this practise should come with a fine it is extremely dangerous to motorbikes and cycles.
As a very long-standing biker, now ex-biker, I'll bite too. Grey waste doesn't even make the bottom of the quite long list of hazards faced by motorcyclists. What on earth do you think it will do to you?

p-c

Free Member
Sep 13, 2013
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40 years
Hi
So back to the actual problem.
We had grey water coming up into the shower tray. I solved the problem by putting a one way/non return valve in the waste pipe from the shower and this solved the problem completely.
If I remember correctly the part was readily available at the local caravan shop and the fitting was not too difficult although it did mean crawling under the MH and avoiding some wet when disconnecting pipes.
Regards
p-c

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Nope, don't wait, dump it wherever you are :pop:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
And you never ride in the rain of course!

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I am a tad miffed...

I was about to post that I didn't believe that grey water on the road was much of a hazard to motor cyclists given all the other dangers facing them them expecting ire (and thus further 'discussion') from the 'brumm brumm boys' and what happens?

Several other folk think the same!

Pah!

Where's the Fun in that? :whistle:

JJ :cool:

Last edited:

captainscarlett

Free Member
Apr 20, 2017
Norfolk/Europe
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
10 years
On American vans we have what is called "Highway Dispersal"
I had a 1974 GMC classic motorhome that was fitted with an exhaust burner for that purpose, i never did use it as it would cover anything following behind with a whitish grey dust, could be quite amusing though, unless of course its you that is following.
When we drive our RV's, the on board macerator grinds a 50\50 mix of the contents of the black and grey tanks, then sprays it into a nozzle on each of the exhaust manifolds of the V10 engine.

As the manifold is red hot it vapourises the "Poo" mix coming out of the exhaust as steam

So motorcyclists riding behind a RV remember, whilst your peering at the road to see if you can have a self righteous rant at the driver for a dribble shower water over the road (some say harmlessly) your being covered in micro droplets of their Poo!

@Jim, in his RV has taken his a stage further and can "aim" his discharge!

Now Thor have bailed Hymer out, I expect to see these types of improvements on Hymers bringing them into the 21st Century with environmental disposal methods such as this

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.

Is that your Trike in the avatar:whistle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back