LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Not getting into this argument, but some things that upset some on here are things that others just take in their stride, depends where you come from a bit I suppose , as to here where we live , cow shit and slurry on the roads is just normal so a bit of grey water would probably do it good but if you come from sterile streets a bit of grey water is the end of the world.
Unlike grey water, isn't it illegal to leave slurry, mud &c on the roads?
My grey waste tank is black plastic.
Am I in bother, or just confused??
When, in the last 60 years, haven't you been confused? :D

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Unlike grey water, isn't it illegal to leave slurry, mud &c on the roads?

AH!. Another "grey" area, Like "A" frames?. Seriously I believe it comes under the same regulation as Insecure Loads?. So if it "falls off" you are liable!.

Pete

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Not a problem, I drain it off because we have very little payload, and the fines are quite heavy for an over loaded vehicle.
It's nothing to do with fuel consumption, MPL, I keep a record of every trip Miles, Litres etc.
I upgraded to 3850kg , so that I could run with full tanks without worry, nothing worse than being stuck without water, done it a couple of times in the past, don't like going without my morning shower.:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well if grey waste is minging and unpleasant that is probably why so many campsites at the seaside are absolutely deserted almost all of the time then, NOT - bearing in mind in the UK you virtually never come across a drive over drain, and a lot of - even huge - sites abroad don't have them.

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
May i suggest that all the anti grey water brigade, stop visiting rally sites and show grounds.
Most show grounds and rally sites are frequented by livestock. Also remember all the way tent campers who use these sites. Common practice after a few beers to use the outside toilet behind the tent during the night.
Just to be on the safe side you can buy a chemical suit on ebay for under a tenner.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
best place for grey water would be fields and show grounds, even dumped in one place, provided it didn't make a boggy route for leavers

the problem is caused by those that can't tell the difference between field and campsite

and worse can't be bothered to close the valve before or while moving, I got splashed by a 'fellow' funster leaving Chester at my first ever rally and I was on the roadside outside the race course, as they pulled out of the site and swung round the really nice greasy bits shot out of the outlet, not nice at all

most of the grey water 'dump on the move brigade' will probably be lucky enough to follow the more compassionate MHers who think of others, so will not be affected, they are the minority as most of these annoying habits tend to be thankfully

Littering comes to mind as a close comparison, there is no need to do either :)

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Grey waste is dirty and smells ...
Or am I missing something here??

Our GW does not seem to smell whatsoever, might get a few bubbles from the washing up liquid, we don't use fat for cooking, only fat we have is that which comes from food naturally, that is wiped from pans before washing just to avoid collecting in the MH waste pipes.

Washing the car, cleaning mucky boots off, washing the BBQ, blocked drains, flooding etc causes more SLIGHT contaminants than the average grey water open air disposal.

Tent campers have to wash up pots, pans etc then just throw the water on the earth!

Have you never had a pee in a bush etc, there are worse things happening in this world than a few gallons of water. Some folk drink worse water!

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
That was a very good effort Geo, but no mention of Hilter, Nazi, ISIS or prison means it has to be downgraded to a mere 6 I am afraid
Grey waste dribblers are simply ISIS trained Hilter style (Sometimes spelt Hitler) Nazi Bone idle idiots who want taking to prison to be shot, It may not be toxic but its shity, it stinks and it is avoidable.
Better?
I look at the mentality of the supporters of this practice and have to surmise, the inhabitants of Pre Great Fire London had many many of these people, who simply threw dirty water into the streets, but thankfully the more thoughtful of us built sewers and drains, and it later became the norm, and the likes of the above should maybe rephrase the question and ask have you ever peed in a bush next to a toilet block???
Probably Not, Like I said when its avoidable, avoid doing it seemples

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Our GW does not seem to smell whatsoever, might get a few bubbles from the washing up liquid, we don't use fat for cooking, only fat we have is that which comes from food naturally, that is wiped from pans before washing just to avoid collecting in the MH waste pipes.

Washing the car, cleaning mucky boots off, washing the BBQ, blocked drains, flooding etc causes more SLIGHT contaminants than the average grey water open air disposal.

Tent campers have to wash up pots, pans etc then just throw the water on the earth!

Have you never had a pee in a bush etc, there are worse things happening in this world than a few gallons of water. Some folk drink worse water!

Well ours .. and a fair few others grey waste does smell. Don't you use yours for washing and showering ?
Maybe if you pitched up somewhere someone was emptying their grey waste you might have a differing view. It's dirty. Its a bit rich reminding us that some people drink dirty water and are worse off when we're swanning around in expensive motorhomes dontchathink. .

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I enclose a photo of a motorhome going down the campsite road.
slurry2.jpg

I think it might be grey water, it looks greyish.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
to any dribblers, next time you empty try catching a jug of it, throw it over your windscreen and see if it changes your opinion of your actions

in case there is any doubt I don't (y)

Perhaps people should not judge everyone by their own actions, our grey waste never gets any really dirty water down it, because we never drain veg, wash dishes or empty fatty soiled water down the sink.
We only use the campsites wash room facilities so any water that gets into the grey tank isn`t going to soil our windscreen and it doesn`t stink.

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
s-l225[6].jpg

Remember this - and you worry about so called "grey" water!

For the record some trains still discharge toilets straight onto the track - and possibly roads where there are level crossings.

Dave

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Refrain, or ditty. remembered from ????????. But the tune I think Featured in "Oh! what a lovely War":-

Gentlemen will please refrain
From Urinating While the train
is standing in the Station
Thanking you

The people working underneath
They get it in the nose an teeth
and they don't seem to like it
Nor would you.

Pete

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I enclose a photo of a motorhome going down the campsite road. View attachment 88183

I think it might be grey water, it looks greyish.

I used to regularly go to Kingsbridge in Devon & the last 11 miles through the lanes you'd often come up behind the farmer who was firing it over the hedge into the field !!:D

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Being both a cyclist and a motorcyclist I don't really appreciate anyone dumping their waste anything onto the public roads I use be that motorhomers, car drivers, horse riders or farmers.

I also wouldn't really like pulling onto a pitch that someone had just emptied 50 litres of their waste water on to and be paddling around in it while I'm setting up either.

When there's nowhere suitable I've driven home with my grey water tank quite full and emptied into my drain at home and have a 20 metre waste hose I bought specifically for this purpose.

Take it out of the way where your muck isn't going to be inflicted on the rest of us, I think it's called 'consideration for others'.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I have ONCE let grey waste water dribble in error when on an aire in France when washing up. A huge German van next door shouted at us so we realised! Even though I don't understand German we got the gist! A small domestic ensued when we discussed who had left the valve open at the last aire and deposit.( think it was me but won't own up!) an angry German will never be forgotten so we never dribble dump etc except in appropriate place! He could obviously understand English when I mumbled "keep your hair on" as he rubbed his bald head!we love Germany and went for a holiday there this year! And made sure all valves were shut!!

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
i use the toilet to piss in, too hard to get to the tanks
ps, you have a water intake on side of van, use that:reel::imoutahere:
Yes I do that ................................ Not mine of course. :whistle:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Too high.
Ok I'm only little.

'ere you! you told Howie and I that you can "reach the water in the toilet bowl" when standing up!!

Pant's on fire! Pant's on fire!

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
An Autocruise Augusta left the site yesterday, after first opening his drain on the pitch then left it open all the way off, thought he was a funster because he had a big "smiley" on his back panel, but I don't think he was, also he was towing a quite big flat bed Brian James trailer with a new-style mini aboard, it seemed quite a large weight to tow, the M/H was peugeot=based, not sure which engine. Any one know the limit for this van?
Cheers, Dave:xsurprised:

Mine is marked at 4250Kg (Upgraded to 4500kg) and a GTW 6005kg so depending on internal load 1750kg on the hook?

I tow a Porsche 944S2 on a BJ trailer, trailer is 450kg car is 1200kg.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
If you come to the Wirral Folk Festival in June,they let you empty your grey water on the edge of the fields!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back