Grey water confession (1 Viewer)

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
When I see plastic bottles full of piss laying in the central reservation I think of this thread and laugh.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
When I see plastic bottles full of piss laying in the central reservation I think of this thread and laugh.

Maybe it's just me but I fail to see the comedy in either littering or deliberate pollution of water courses. Both are easily avoidable with little effort so why not just expend that effort?

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
My name is Itinerant Pete and I am a Recovering Grey Waste Dropper.:Smile:

Pete:Cool:

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Maybe it's just me but I fail to see the comedy in either littering or deliberate pollution of water courses. Both are easily avoidable with little effort so why not just expend that effort?

WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE

How is discharging grey waste into a drain harming anyone? On what basis can dishwater and the odd pubic hair be called pollution? During times of drought we are told to put dishwater and bathwater onto the grass. :ROFLMAO:

Littering is antisocial at least and dumping rubbish or commercial fly tipping is a crime. :Angry:

I take positive action on litter. We pay our staff to take time out of work to pick litter - they're kitted out with hi-vi vest, long reach pickers, hoops to make it easy to for them to do the task. It's helps our community and builds team spirit in our staff.:thumb:
A ten foot stretch of hedgerow or ditch contains all sorts of crap thrown away by others much of which endangers wildlife and some of which is highly toxic non biodegradable marine pollutant (including engine oil and paint).

So who thinks I'm irresponsible? When did you last go out a pick up other people's rubbish?

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Yesterday I sinned
I pulled into a lay by and parked directly over a storm drain and discharged my grey waste and did not spill a drop onto road
May god forgive me my sins

All forgiven-
It`s not on the list of 7 sins anyway, so you carry on.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
All forgiven-
It`s not on the list of 7 sins anyway, so you carry on.

It is in my version of the Caravan Club Bible and so is Thou shalt not park other than central to the marker post.:Doh:

Pete:Cool:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

How is discharging grey waste into a drain harming anyone? On what basis can dishwater and the odd pubic hair be called pollution? During times of drought we are told to put dishwater and bathwater onto the grass. :ROFLMAO:
Dishwater contains grease and other food remains. When dishwater and bathwater are put onto grass/gardens/hedgerows those remains are filtered out by the soil.

Anything discharged into a storm drain (as has been suggested in earlier responses) normally goes straight into a water course without being filtered, thus polluting that water course. Deliberate discharges into a storm drain, therefore, deliberately pollute the water course.

Littering is antisocial at least and dumping rubbish or commercial fly tipping is a crime. :Angry:
I totally agree.

I take positive action on litter. We pay our staff to take time out of work to pick litter - they're kitted out with hi-vi vest, long reach pickers, hoops to make it easy to for them to do the task. It's helps our community and builds team spirit in our staff.:thumb:
A ten foot stretch of hedgerow or ditch contains all sorts of crap thrown away by others much of which endangers wildlife and some of which is highly toxic non biodegradable marine pollutant (including engine oil and paint).
Highly laudable.

So who thinks I'm irresponsible? When did you last go out a pick up other people's rubbish?
I last picked up somebody else's litter a couple of days ago - I do it regularly from our garden and the street outside.

Who said you were irresponsible? What I said was that both littering and deliberate pollution of water courses are easily avoidable with little effort so why not just expend that effort? No mention of the word irresponsible - so, therefore, any conclusion as to irresponsibility on your part must have come from elsewhere :Smile:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!

So who thinks I'm irresponsible?[HI] When did you last go out a pick up other people's rubbish?[/[/HI]QUOTE]

Thursday night on a pub car park ! :Blush::Blush::Blush:

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
We have toured the USA on three occasions with a hired RV,think their design is far better than the system we use ,The black and gray waste is held in seperate tanks on board you open the tap to drain the sewage,then when thats finished open the grey water tap which flushes through the same exit cleaning it in the process.This all goes down a specially provided drain on the site,no carting containers of raw sewage around Simples:Smile:

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Dishwater contains grease and other food remains....

Anything discharged into a storm drain (as has been suggested in earlier responses) normally goes straight into a water course without being filtered, thus polluting that water course. Deliberate discharges into a storm drain, therefore, deliberately pollute the water course.

It's a funny ole thread. Aside from run-off of fertilisers from fields there's...

.gov.uk:
Hard surfaces such as concrete and asphalt collect pollution (oil, petrol, brake dust etc) that is washed off into the drains.

epa.gov:
(Analysis of wash off pollutants from asphalt and coal tar road surfaces) There are still many parts of the country where stormwater routing is insufficient in both time and length to reduce toxicity to receiving waters.
Directly connected surfaces can deliver large volumes and concentrations of toxic substances in runoff during and after a sufficient rainfall event. Due to the expense of retrofitting control measures into existing stormwater sewage and discharge systems, many municipalities may opt for banning coal tar - based sealants due to PAH content and related chronic toxicity effects on the environment.

SO I could wash a little tommy sauce, breadcrumbs, bacon fat washed off my plate with a biodegradable washing up liquid (ecover) into my tank and let this out into a gulley (if it's not possible to get to a disposal point).

Or

I could take the bread and bacon rind down to the river and feed the ducks.

Daily Mail Exclusive: Toddlers polluting drinking water :Doh:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We have toured the USA on three occasions with a hired RV,think their design is far better than the system we use ,The black and gray waste is held in seperate tanks on board you open the tap to drain the sewage,then when thats finished open the grey water tap which flushes through the same exit cleaning it in the process.This all goes down a specially provided drain on the site,no carting containers of raw sewage around Simples:Smile:

Absolutely right and many CClub sites also have an adjacent drain for black discharge so that suits me fine :thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
It's a funny ole thread. Aside from run-off of fertilisers from fields there's...

.gov.uk:
Hard surfaces such as concrete and asphalt collect pollution (oil, petrol, brake dust etc) that is washed off into the drains.

epa.gov:
(Analysis of wash off pollutants from asphalt and coal tar road surfaces) There are still many parts of the country where stormwater routing is insufficient in both time and length to reduce toxicity to receiving waters.
Directly connected surfaces can deliver large volumes and concentrations of toxic substances in runoff during and after a sufficient rainfall event. Due to the expense of retrofitting control measures into existing stormwater sewage and discharge systems, many municipalities may opt for banning coal tar - based sealants due to PAH content and related chronic toxicity effects on the environment.

[HI]SO I could wash a little tommy sauce, breadcrumbs, bacon fat washed off my plate with a biodegradable washing up liquid (ecover) into my tank and let this out into a gulley[/HI] (if it's not possible to get to a disposal point).

Or

That is fine for a few but if it were a common practice and everyone did it we would soon have horrible smelly water courses :Eeek:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

.gov.uk:

epa.gov:

SO I could wash a little tommy sauce, breadcrumbs, bacon fat washed off my plate with a biodegradable washing up liquid (ecover) into my tank and let this out into a gulley (if it's not possible to get to a disposal point).

Or

It doesn't matter how good or bad the situation is at any point in time. The point is why make it worse when it can be easily avoided? That's exactly the same consideration as not dropping litter (amongst many other things).

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Left a large ,mainly static site on Sunday, there was no where to empty my still full grey tank as i left.
I am trying to comply here and find it difficult.

Where can i drain this ,

Not on the road,
Not down a drain covert,
Not in the hedge,
Not in a ditch,
There are a lot of places not to empty it, but not many ok places to tip it.:Eeek:

Can someone send out Initial waste Co with a waste transfer licence to collect it :ROFLMAO:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have found the odd proper site not to have an emptying point for grey waste, and even one that had no cassette emptying point. Had to empty it down a toilet.

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Left a large ,mainly static site on Sunday, there was no where to empty my still full grey tank as i left.
I am trying to comply here and find it difficult.

Where can i drain this ,

Not on the road,
Not down a drain covert,
Not in the hedge,
Not in a ditch,
There are a lot of places not to empty it, but not many ok places to tip it.:Eeek:

Can someone send out Initial waste Co with a waste transfer licence to collect it :ROFLMAO:

Sorry buddy but if the grey tank is full you'll have to get a new motorhome.

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
Hmmm, can you empty the toilet & grey water tanks then? I presumed the stuff just evaporated! guess that could be what the smell is then :RollEyes:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Hmmm, can you empty the toilet & grey water tanks then? I presumed the stuff just evaporated! guess that could be what the smell is then :RollEyes:

The toilet slides out and i can tip that down the WP.

The grey tank is fixed underneath, it`s going to take a lot of bowl fulls to empty it-- a bucket wont fit underneath:Eeek:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

The grey tank is fixed underneath, it`s going to take a lot of bowl fulls to empty it-- a bucket wont fit underneath:Eeek:

We have a jerry can similar to This One to empty the grey water when it isn't possible to just open the tap over a dump point. Where there isn't a specific grey waste facility I've always been able to empty it into the black one or (where told, on a THS for instance) in the hedgerow.

Often enough the disposal point on a THS/Meet is a manhole, which is basically the same as the end result of the arrangements most of us have at home.

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010

That will save me having to tip the van on it's side then! :winky:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

Both black and grey tanks are fixed underneath on mine. You use a macerator pump (basically an in-line saniflo) to pump it to the designated point. Most can be reached with 30m of lay flat hose. If you can drive right up to it, you can use "stinky slinky" instead, which is a 3 inch bore unpumped hose. No need to illegally deposit waste on the roadside. Illegal dumping laws are pretty harsh when you do get caught.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back