Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Time for another grey water thread.

The organisers at Peterborough provided no facility to dispose of grey water, the leaflet said 'leave with your valve closed and take your grey water home with you'. This is for hundreds, if not thousands of vans on a four day rally. What did you do?

I used my 'magic bucket' which has slots in the bottom. A thick pad of 'Juan sheet' kitchen roll in the bottom, and leave the tap open. After four days only a small patch of slightly damp grass, no smell or 'crud' which was all trapped in the kitchen paper, which went in the bin. I then left with the valve closed, however many didn't from the tracks on the surrounding roads.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I just didn't wash :winky:

But obviously Nikki did,

Oh no did I leave my grey waste :Doh::cry:

Open

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Just dump it were you like seems to be the norm nowadays. Dont bother with the rubbish bins either, just leave the door open and throw your rubbish out. Slowly drizzle your cassette around the water tap as it will get washed away when the next person uses it :winky:. Dont worry....be happy ::bigsmile:.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
how ironic was it that my first raffle prize in 44 years was,,,,

A

Guess what

Yep a Foldable bucket :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Dumped 120 ltrs of fresh water where we were pitched and took 130 ltrs of grey home and dropped it off there :thumb:

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
Lost all my fresh water under the van:Sad: but cleaned the streets of London with all my waste::bigsmile:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I went round sharing a couple of gallons of "Black" and "Grey"....

In all the tuggers nice little grey tote trolly`s that were tucked up underneath...

Did it at night though... :thumb:

:RollEyes::winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Glad I wasn't at Peterborough. As a fulltimer I rely on basic facilities when I am paying for a pitch :Doh::ROFLMAO:.

You know something Haggers, in that situation I may have left my valve open :ROFLMAO:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We had ours on slow dribble, but we didn't use much water anyway so not a lot to 'lose' anyway. On Sunday morning when going into the show we noticed a large 'puddle' under one van who obviously had his drain tap fully open and appears to have had a very bubbly shower judging from the foam under his van! :RollEyes:

We did, however inadvertently 'dump' the contents of our fresh water tank on the A15 on the way home ... hubby noticed what appeared to be steam coming from the back of the van as we were travelling along, possibly the water hitting the exhaust as we travelled, we stopped as soon as it was safe to do so (very bad road) and found that something had hit the fresh water drain tap and broken part of it off, we were therefore unable to stop the water escaping but did managed to fill the kettle before it all disappeared! :thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
(snip)

The organisers at Peterborough provided no facility to dispose of grey water, the leaflet said 'leave with your valve closed and take your grey water home with you'.(snip)

All that means is that there is no dedicated dump point where you can open the grey valve and let it drain into a manhole or similar.

With our current van the grey tank is reasonably large so we had no need to dispose of the water before returning home this year.

In previous years, with our previous van, I've drained the grey into the jerry can we carry for the purpose and dumped it into either the grey disposal point (similar to that on a CC site) or the black waste point (depending on where we have been pitched with Fun).

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I dont know the answer to grey water.

Some people tell you it should never get into the ground water .
Which i have always thought.

But i have stayed on campsites where they ask you to but your grey water on the trees between the pitch.

I would always try to get rid of my grey water Responsibly.

I was told off in Switzerand for not being direct over the drain which was immposible.
The grey water had to run about 6 " on to the drain on concreet.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sometimes I leave it open.. sometimes I leave it shut.. depends on the ground and the location

At Peterborough it was closed and dumped over a drain on the way home...

I did not do it for any altruistic reason, merely that the ground there was already pretty close to getting nasty and did not wanna make it worse for the next person to sink in to !

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Some bugger pulled the handle to our slide valve at around midnight on Saturday!:Angry:

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
grey water

I put mine in the blue toilet tank by the gate, with a large bucket that I filled with a folding bucket boy I did some slopping :soaobox::whatthe:what a carry on, why on a showground of that size no grey disposal point is quite ridiculous so many vans will surely have just dumped theirs on the grass ,if there is a supply of fresh water there should also be a disposal point :Angry:how hard can it be

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The plan of the showground shows an American Elsan Point near the south entrance so, presumably, anyone who really needed to dump their grey water direct from the van could use that.

As to ease/difficulty of providing more grey dump points, the plan also shows that most black disposal points are in the grassed areas so most likely impractical for vehicles to drive over in large numbers.

On the subject of numbers, how many grey points would be an acceptable number? With many people leaving at the same time the queues could well be a problem.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Sometimes I leave it open.. sometimes I leave it shut.. depends on the ground and the location

At Peterborough it was closed and dumped over a drain on the way home...

I did not do it for any altruistic reason, merely that the ground there was already pretty close to getting nasty and did not wanna make it worse for the next person to sink in to !

That was probably us John, there was no one around and it was a long way to the loos.
:Blush:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
I must admit I am extremely lazy at motorhome show meets.

We use paper plates, bowls and cups have a "washing up bucket" where we place the cutlery and dirty saucepans. When we get home this is taken in door and the dishwasher duly loaded.

I refuse to wash up just for 2/3 days worth. I would rather spend that time with funsters.

We washed in the toilet/shower block and used very little water that needed to be disposed of so that we brought home with us.

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
I think the people that dump there grey water in non specific grey water watse points are the dregs of society, I drove mine to a local caravan site where i paid a couple of quid to the owners fro the use of there grey water facilities and elsan point for the toilet, I then drove home, we do this every trip.

I mean god forbid that I would get home and then dump it on my grass or down the drain just outside the drive or empty the toilet cassette down my own toilet:RollEyes:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
does that mean your toilet aint available to us for the usage of :Smile::Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.