Astro

Free Member
Jul 17, 2016
North Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago I143
Exp
I'm keeping that. It'll be handy even if I never use it.
Not correct. Vapour trails are just that, vapour from condensation. Planes' toilets get emptied at airports.

Yes, the vapour trails you see are just water but it's incorrect to say aeroplanes don't cause pollution.
What you don't see are the by-products from the combustion of aviation fuel ( kerosene ) which are the harmful emissions such as - oxides of nitrogen, sulphur dixoide, carbon monoxide, hydrocarbons.
Typically an aircraft will use 50000 kg of fuel to cross the Atlantic and will produce 60000kg of water vapour, 16000kg of Co2 and about 750kg of the other nasty stuff combined. That's a lot of crap out the back !

Last edited:

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Yes, the vapour trails you see are just water but it's incorrect to say aeroplanes don't cause pollution.
What you don't see are the by-products from the combustion of aviation fuel ( kerosene ) which are the harmful emissions such as - oxides of nitrogen, sulphur dixoide, carbon monoxide, hydrocarbons.
Typically an aircraft will use 50000 kg of fuel to cross the Atlantic and will produce 60000kg of water vapour, 16000kg of Co2 and about 750kg of the other nasty stuff combined. That's a lot of crap out the back !
Or about 40kg CO2 per person to Florida
A Smart car would produce about 500kg on the same trip!!!

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Air travel is probably a major contributor to climate change. Yet many governments including the UK are encouraging its expansion and exempting it from environmental carbon taxes. The effect of contrails and other emissions from jet aircraft became apparent when for 3 days the USA became a no-fly zone after 9/11:

https://globalnews.ca/news/2934513/...ge-for-an-unlikely-climate-change-experiment/

Reducing or limiting non-essential civil air travel ought to be part of a rational global strategy to combat climate change. There is no political will to take that step. Instead, legislators keep attacking road transport.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Are we a bit off topic? Aircraft pollution, really? What about ships? or space travel?

As for the smart car to Florida, I would send my wife's by 'plane or ship. Surely it would sink if it tried to drive there?

Entertaining.

Dennis

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Motorhome owners worried about environmental issues is actually probably nearly the funniest thing I've ever read (y)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I was quite enjoying the diversion of topic cause quite frankly the grey water topic has been done to death and no one's opinions will ever change....those who think it's a big deal will continue to do so and those who don't will still not think so

WildHorse

Free Member
Sep 11, 2017
Nr Bristol
Funster No
MH
Was a Rohill Minibus.
Exp
2 Years
We just spent 10 days on Dartmoor in a field, there was a compost loo and a field shower where you had to make a fire to heat the water.
The toilet waste went to nature and the shower run off fed the grass, it was a loo with a view over Dartmoor, could sit their for hours. Far better than our van facilities, kind of puts it in perspective. No chewing gum or fag butts, but plenty of cow shit and urine, cuckoo spit and insect activity.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
My dog had a wee on the grass outside the pub, doubtless this would enter the water course! Does this constitute an offence?

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
We just spent 10 days on Dartmoor in a field, there was a compost loo and a field shower where you had to make a fire to heat the water.
The toilet waste went to nature and the shower run off fed the grass, it was a loo with a view over Dartmoor, could sit their for hours. Far better than our van facilities, kind of puts it in perspwould accept it ... they also had the best ective. No chewing gum or fag butts, but plenty of cow shit and urine, cuckoo spit and insect activity.

Been on weeks like that and they have a lot to teach us but doubt many would accept it .. they also had the best rubbish recyling system ever and THAT would not take very much for any site owner to adopt ...

As for mh owners .. I would gladly give mine up to save the world but only if everyone else did - or my small contribution would be pointless. . . . But we CAN all contribute a little bit by asking sites to give us recycling fascilities and being careful HOW we drive our vehicles, etc etc all the usual stuff ..

With Northernraider here ... thank God grey waste threads diverse.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Recycle as you go, or save until you find somewhere

That's my point .. we shouldn't struggle to find somewhere ... it's over 12 months since I stayed on a site, and I've been at several, where they had recycling facilities. .. After carrying bin bags full of plastic bottles, glass containers and magazines for weeks I've ended up putting them in regular waste on a site... Owners seem unaware of the environment issues ... but people will complain about soapy water going on the grass ...

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:)

20180613_093104.jpg

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
That's my point .. we shouldn't struggle to find somewhere ... it's over 12 months since I stayed on a site, and I've been at several, where they had recycling facilities. .. After carrying bin bags full of plastic bottles, glass containers and magazines for weeks I've ended up putting them in regular waste on a site... Owners seem unaware of the environment issues ... but people will complain about soapy water going on the grass ...

I totally agree. I also think that Motorhome owners are actually more environmentally aware than people give us credit for.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07

I totally agree. I also think that Motorhome owners are actually more environmentally aware than people give us credit for.

Completely agree with you on that. In fact I do believe we are more aware normally...
We have to conserve drinking water, and shower water, we try not to build up too much rubbish and we don't waste our gas ....

In fact.. we are brilliant. ;)

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Completely agree with you on that. In fact I do believe we are more aware normally...
We have to conserve drinking water, and shower water, we try not to build up too much rubbish and we don't waste our gas ....

In fact.. we are brilliant. ;)
Yep! We are. Despite the lack of facilities we always find away of disposing of stuff correctly & safely and manage to spend our hard earned cash in supermarkets, bars, rest and bakeries.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Can anyone explain in plain English how burning 50000 kg of fuel ends up produceing nearly 80000 kg of other stuff, how heavy is smoke, must be lighter than air as it goes up.
Must be a business opportunity for someone here just burn some paraffin and end up with more stuff than you started with.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Can anyone explain in plain English how burning 50000 kg of fuel ends up produceing nearly 80000 kg of other stuff, how heavy is smoke, must be lighter than air as it goes up.
Must be a business opportunity for someone here just burn some paraffin and end up with more stuff than you started with.
The answer is in the water vapour.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Vapour has a mass but it doesn't have a weight. Both are measured in kg. Maybe that's it :confused:

There's no weight in space but items have the same mass as on earth?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Vapour has a mass but it doesn't have a weight. Both are measured in kg. Maybe that's it :confused:

There's no weight in space but items have the same mass as on earth?
Try filling a ballon with liquid CO2 vapour. Gravity affects it like anything else. Everything is affected by the density of air and less dense items, like vapours / gases more so. On a set of scales in a vacuum a vapour has weight.

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
@chaser
Simples. The fuel when burned is oxidised that takes oxygen. It comes from the atmosphere as the engine sucks in huge quantities (your car does the same). The oxygen and other gasses like Nitrogen are also complexed and create the pollution that is referred to. These gasses actually have mass and their quantity can be described in Kg. So, fuel + atmosphere = total mass of pollutants.

Btw, smoke only rises. When it is less dense than air, usually when it is hot.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back