Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
.. I said give me ONE example..

still waiting :rolleyes:

and don't cite Gravelines, the aire services are clearly signposted and about 1km from the parking area

We usually stop at Bergues for the tunnel, no water or waste disposal just bins. A very popular aire usually up to 50 on but no services except on the caravan site the other side of the town. I don't know why I'm bothering to reply to this as we all know many Aires have no services.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
AFAIK all CL/CS type sites have to have a way to dispose of grey water, whether this is a separate 'drive over' one (very unlikely!), a general one, or if neither then it usually goes into the same point as the toilet (black) waste ... some owners will tell you to put it under the hedges etc though.
No, a CL owner has to provide an entrance to a minimum width, a fresh water tap and a chemical waste facility, which can be a tank or main sewer

That’s it.

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Gravelines, Port de Dinan, Bergues are only parking areas available to camper vans not aires. Just because these places are in various publications doesn't mean they are official aires.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Gravelines, Port de Dinan, Bergues are only parking areas available to camper vans not aires. Just because these places are in various publications doesn't mean they are official aires.

It appears the French government don't agree with you (y)

http://questions.assemblee-nationale.fr/q13/13-111240QE.htm

A parking area available to motorhomes is the exact definition of an aire de camping car. Nothing more.

Aire mean area. "Aire de camping car" translates as "area for camper vans"

Just out of interest what is your definition of an "official aire"?

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
It appears the French government don't agree with you (y)

http://questions.assemblee-nationale.fr/q13/13-111240QE.htm

A parking area available to motorhomes is the exact definition of an aire de camping car. Nothing more.

Aire mean area. "Aire de camping car" translates as "area for camper vans"

Just out of interest what is your definition of an "official aire"?

I would think of an official aire as a place with facilities, water/waste, collection/disposal etc and areas for camper van parking would be just that, somewhere to park but wouldn't expect any services.

In the article there are parking places and service places. But agreed the article does class them both as aires.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
.. I said give me ONE example..

still waiting :rolleyes:

and don't cite Gravelines, the aire services are clearly signposted and about 1km from the parking area

Clearly you didn’t ask for one example!!

I use campercontact and never found any such as you describe, can you please give the name and or location of these or where they are listed , so I can avoid them ?

I post on this forum in good faith.

I will not produce a list of places I have stayed so that you can avoid them. Nor do I take kindly to the tone of your request.,

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I would think of an official aire as a place with facilities, water/waste, collection/disposal

A campsite then?

If an aire is provided by the local Mairie it's official regardless of what it has or doesn't have.

The definition has never included "facilities" of any kind.

Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
When we had all the floods in somerset it was up to people's ceilings no waste drains then.and you would not want the river parret running through your door.

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
For what it’s worth my issue is “Joe Public” can’t tell the difference between grey waste and black waste and anything running out a Motorhome is seen as sinister....just my interpretation
I think that was my point at the beginning of the thread. The public perception of what they see, right or wrong, is what they will relay to others and use as ammunition to stop people doing things they don’t want you to do.
Sometimes you just have to drive down a road in England to get disapproving looks, let alone park in a road somewhere near where they live.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Ok , now then is it ok to dump grey waste while on cruise control? :cool:

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Ok , now then is it ok to dump grey waste while on cruise control? :cool:

Unfortunately although they have fitted an electric valve in ours the idiots have put the switch in the garage, I may have to move it to next to the driver (y)

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Think it’s to do with horse being herbivore and dog carnivore so much less pleasant.
Also dog faeces can cause blindness in kids.
And you’d have to be blind to step in horse sh*t by mistake :LOL:
Horse dung is benevolent dung, it's just processed grass or hay. People pay large sums of money for it for their gardens, and if a horse craps in the road, someone will come out quickly and gather it up. Carnivore dung is, as we all know, disgusting. According to New Tricks last night dogs carry at least 15 different bad infections. I love that programme!!

pseward152

Free Member
Jun 9, 2014
essex
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato dethleffs
Exp
View attachment 234345
Here we go, standby as yet another Grey Waste Thread:boxing::clap2:

Just been to the Crick Narrowboat Show. They dump it straight into the canal. No deaths, no threat of life for marine or human. In fact I've just joined the Canal and River Trust and they don't have a problem with it either.

It does no harm whatsoever, other than to irritate some other motorhomers. Just happily dumped mine in the kerbside, watched it run down the drain. Again it didn't or won't kill or hurt anyone.

Even the belief that the worlds supply of carrots, peas, grease, soapy shower water and SWMBO's old shampo that will get discarded on each and every grey dump, will kill every passing motorcyclist hasn't shown it's head once.

Lots of other grey waste threads to plough through if needs be.
https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/inconsiderate-motorhomes.170519/

pseward152

Free Member
Jun 9, 2014
essex
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato dethleffs
Exp
Great reply,don’t it just drive you round the bend when silly people keep harping on about a bit of water dripping down the drain or road or grass ,where abroad they welcome it .wake up silly motorhomers it’s water with soap in not toxic poisonous liquid get a dog or a gigsaw puzzle stop finding silly things to moan about

WildHorse

Free Member
Sep 11, 2017
Nr Bristol
Funster No
MH
Was a Rohill Minibus.
Exp
2 Years
To all the people worried about a bit of soapy water! Have you looked up at the sky recently and seen all the chemical aircrap trails?
Thats pollution, bit of soapy water pails into insignificance i think.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
That’s it, why worry about a drop of soapy water , or maybe 20 gallons x xnumbers of motorhomers dumping into surface water drains, why worry about the odd piece of chewing gum on the pavement or a fag end or two not forgetting a plastic water bottle......
However insignificant , it’s all waste and should be disposed of with a degree of care for our environment which gets crappier by the day all thanks to those that don’t care :swear2:

WildHorse

Free Member
Sep 11, 2017
Nr Bristol
Funster No
MH
Was a Rohill Minibus.
Exp
2 Years
How far do you need to go with this??? lets all stop eating animals for instance, thats a great way of cleaning up Mother Earth, nuclear power, what a stupid way of boiling water, but dont worry they may just pump all that nuclear waste underneath your home one day down a frack well.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
How far do you need to go with this??? lets all stop eating animals for instance, thats a great way of cleaning up Mother Earth, nuclear power, what a stupid way of boiling water, but dont worry they may just pump all that nuclear waste underneath your home one day down a frack well.

You sound like me when I go off on one! :)

( that was a compliment by the way). :)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
To all the people worried about a bit of soapy water! Have you looked up at the sky recently and seen all the chemical aircrap trails?
Thats pollution, bit of soapy water pails into insignificance i think.
Not correct. Vapour trails are just that, vapour from condensation. Planes' toilets get emptied at airports.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
As with most things there are variations to this. It was, for many years (may still be?) policy at CC rallies, where facilities where not available, or indeed where the host had a Septic Tank system, to "dispose of grey water around the hedgerows". We also hand dug "latrines"!:D and backfilled on the Monday!.:whistle: Much of the Uk`s non urban Roadside Drains exit to the local environment at some point, some of the urban drains are directed to the sewage system, the volumes are relatively insignificant when compared with the effluent from domestic and industrial sources. What is at issue is "perception", it is not something that is "nice" to see, it does, as has been pointed out, smell somewhat, and of course it gives ammunition to those opposed to "our" choice of recreational activity. But there are no more issues than that from your Home beyond that, the contents thereof are the same.

WildHorse

Free Member
Sep 11, 2017
Nr Bristol
Funster No
MH
Was a Rohill Minibus.
Exp
2 Years
We flush our grey water tank through with hydrogen peroxide on a regular basis. We get no smells, no stagnant water and no build up of anaerobic bacteria, we also add a small amount to our fresh water tank so it keeps the whole system fresh and clean. We use food grade hydrogen peroxide at 12 percent, this is the max solution you can buy now, its no problem to ingest small amounts and shower in this water.
A good gardener will tell you that hydrogen peroxide is a great fertilizer and plants love it, good for cuts and grazers too.

WildHorse

Free Member
Sep 11, 2017
Nr Bristol
Funster No
MH
Was a Rohill Minibus.
Exp
2 Years
The more i think about this, perhaps its more that the problem is the lack of maintenance of the on board water system. Their should be no reason to have a tank slung underneath your van thats glugging around with foul smelling anything, except the toilet tank. Its a grey water tank not a septic or effluent tank. For those eco warriors, just take a look at the ingredients in your ELSAN toilet chemical and tell me its good to poor that anywhere!

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
. For those eco warriors, just take a look at the ingredients in your ELSAN toilet chemical and tell me its good to poor that anywhere!
I don't think many "eco warriors" use Elsan or any other toilet chemicals. We don't and we would not call ourselves true eco warriors. Either Bio washing liquid, brewers yeast or nothing is what I suspect they would use. We use the bio liquid but may give the brewers yeast a try.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back