Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
really.. can't argue with that.. you have been to some wild placesI use campercontact and never found any such as you describe, can you please give the name and or location of these or where they are listed , so I can avoid them ?

so you say.. but still haven't given one example..

You asked me to list all the Aires, etc which don’t have facilities so you can avoid them.

You don’t seriously expect me to list them out for you do you? Do your own searching! :Eeek:

I’ve told you we use park4night - I suggest you start there

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Here's your starter for 10 (y)

An aire that is considered wonderful by most people on here but has no facilities at all:

Gravelines.

The nearest service point is about a mile away.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
I just empty my grey waste into a bucket......the bucket has a hole in the bottom ::bigsmile:

Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Grey waste is just one of the things motorhomers/campervanners are becoming as welcome as rats in a surgery where ever they go.

Exmouth have banned us from the seafront and other seaside towns will follow suit - soon.

Complaints are going in to supermarkets that we're taking up two space and more in car parks - even if the places are empty and so on

It's public perception that counts not whether it's legal or anything else. We visited Truro a while back and saw someone throwing their washing-up water into the estuary. The authorities everywhere are under pressure to force us away from the places we used to visit amicably.
motorhomes are not banned from exmouth sea front i was there last week didnt overnight;was talking to council man he said they are trying to stop overnighting but havent enforced date, still loads overnighting at dog walking beach end, heard a few comments when i was sat on the wall,we hopped over to north devon made to feel more welcome as motorhomers, and i have son in brixham with a buisness and daughter near dartmouth,

Ducto

Free Member
May 19, 2018
M Devon
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Campervan since 2003
motorhomes are not banned from exmouth sea front i was there last week didnt overnight;was talking to council man he said they are trying to stop overnighting but havent enforced date, still loads overnighting at dog walking beach end, heard a few comments when i was sat on the wall,we hopped over to north devon made to feel more welcome as motorhomers, and i have son in brixham with a buisness and daughter near dartmouth,

Must have misunderstood the article

https://tinyurl.com/ybbpd9zc

It is under scrutiny and not everywhere but the squeeze is starting and makes my point

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Must have misunderstood the article

https://tinyurl.com/ybbpd9zc

It is under scrutiny and not everywhere but the squeeze is starting and makes my point

Grey waste wasn't the issue though was it? It was down to the sheer number of motorhomes. The council plans to provide places elsewhere for motorhomers to park. They clearly state that they don't want to discourage them visiting.

Frankiej

Free Member
Aug 24, 2017
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
26 years
You can’t have been in many then.

That’s where you are wrong! But I won’t be drawn into listing all the CLs I have ever stayed on, because the list over 26 years would be just too long....

But....Was on one last week that just had a builders type loo cabinet...And maybe a CDP, although I didn’t see it...

Ducto

Free Member
May 19, 2018
M Devon
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Campervan since 2003
Grey waste wasn't the issue though was it? It was down to the sheer number of motorhomes. The council plans to provide places elsewhere for motorhomers to park. They clearly state that they don't want to discourage them visiting.

It was the slovenly, selfish manner if so many m/h and grey waste and litter and blocking the view but you’d only know that if you could see the LA’s letters of complaint which you can’t

Grey waste is enough to bring the complaints in as it does the concerned citizens of all towns and villages see these things and group to prevent the perpetrators

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Think it’s to do with horse being herbivore and dog carnivore so much less pleasant.
Also dog faeces can cause blindness in kids.
And you’d have to be blind to step in horse sh*t by mistake :LOL:
You're right about herbivore vs carnivore but to injure a child the dog faeces needs to be from a poorly cared for dog and has to be in contact with the childs eyes. You will struggle to find an example of it happening.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I think there may be a bit of confusion on this thread depending on some funsters understanding of what a "grey waste dumping" point is ... there are 2 main types which are:
  • a MH specific one which you drive over, open the valve and let the water drop into a drain below.
  • a general one which you empty a container into and which cannot be driven over.
AFAIK all CL/CS type sites have to have a way to dispose of grey water, whether this is a separate 'drive over' one (very unlikely!), a general one, or if neither then it usually goes into the same point as the toilet (black) waste ... some owners will tell you to put it under the hedges etc though.

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Wow, how far can this go?

We all know grey water is not Novichock, but we all have to be careful not to shoot ourselves in the foot by public displays of ambivalence to non-motorhomers. Actually, to some motor-homers too by the sound of it.

Be discrete, be careful, don't offend, Don't do it in public - in fact, be invisible if we all want to carry on motor-homing (I hope not). If we keep nagging each other like this all the time we will end up paranoid about our holiday neighbours.

Tin hat on now!

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
I think there may be a bit of confusion on this thread depending on some funsters understanding of what a "grey waste dumping" point is ... there are 2 main types which are:
  • a MH specific one which you drive over, open the valve and let the water drop into a drain below.
  • a general one which you empty a container into and which cannot be driven over.
AFAIK all CL/CS type sites have to have a way to dispose of grey water, whether this is a separate 'drive over' one (very unlikely!), a general one, or if neither then it usually goes into the same point as the toilet (black) waste ... some owners will tell you to put it under the hedges etc though.

No mention of it being a requirement to have a waste water drain in their how to start a CL information, on the nasty club (C&MC)

Last edited:

Ducto

Free Member
May 19, 2018
M Devon
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Campervan since 2003
Wow, how far can this go?

We all know grey water is not Novichock, but we all have to be careful not to shoot ourselves in the foot by public displays of ambivalence to non-motorhomers. Actually, to some motor-homers too by the sound of it.

Be discrete, be careful, don't offend, Don't do it in public - in fact, be invisible if we all want to carry on motor-homing (I hope not). If we keep nagging each other like this all the time we will end up paranoid about our holiday neighbours.

Tin hat on now!

Well said. Thing is as an e.g. my wife was at Sandown race-course for a trade show. To my amazement there was a couple in a VW campervan opposite where I was parked. The very obese male stripped off his t-shirt and alongside his vehicle proceeded to wash himself down with a flannel. He was so impressed by his huge hanging belly he closed the van door to ensure he could be seen by all and sundry going in and out of the front doors of Sandown. I could see he thought it was great fun.

He and his equally sized wife were parked in disabled bays while this ablution and foul sight carried on for ten minutes. It really upset numerous business people as they arrived not many yards away, some by chauffeur driven car/limousine from abroad.

This year, the DWP will be in attendance but the point is he, like the one I saw emptying the washing-up bowl, are destroying any goodwill toward the rest of us and the nearest site is in Weybridge some long distance away.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Well said. Thing is as an e.g. my wife was at Sandown race-course for a trade show. To my amazement there was a couple in a VW campervan opposite where I was parked. The very obese male stripped off his t-shirt and alongside his vehicle proceeded to wash himself down with a flannel. He was so impressed by his huge hanging belly he closed the van door to ensure he could be seen by all and sundry going in and out of the front doors of Sandown. I could see he thought it was great fun.

He and his equally sized wife were parked in disabled bays while this ablution and foul sight carried on for ten minutes. It really upset numerous business people as they arrived not many yards away, some by chauffeur driven car/limousine from abroad.

This year, the DWP will be in attendance but the point is he, like the one I saw emptying the washing-up bowl, are destroying any goodwill toward the rest of us and the nearest site is in Weybridge some long distance away.

I hope they didn't really empty a washing up bowl ?
Whatever's next ?

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
[QUOTE="scotjimla feces from showering)[/QUOTE

You must doing something different to me in the shower....feces…really?

Okay if we are talking microscopic but come on

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
It was the slovenly, selfish manner if so many m/h and grey waste and litter and blocking the view but you’d only know that if you could see the LA’s letters of complaint which you can’t

Grey waste is enough to bring the complaints in as it does the concerned citizens of all towns and villages see these things and group to prevent the perpetrators
For what it’s worth my issue is “Joe Public” can’t tell the difference between grey waste and black waste and anything running out a Motorhome is seen as sinister....just my interpretation

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
You asked me to list all the Aires, etc which don’t have facilities so you can avoid them.

You don’t seriously expect me to list them out for you do you? Do your own searching! :Eeek:

I’ve told you we use park4night - I suggest you start there

.. I said give me ONE example..

still haven't given one example..

still waiting :rolleyes:

and don't cite Gravelines, the aire services are clearly signposted and about 1km from the parking area

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Personally I think anyone who just lets it run out on to the road is a lazy sod.

Accidentally dropping it is jist that an accident ......i did it today on the road incidentally as my drain plug must have bounced out....cant be helped in that instance but it wasn't a lot as I'd just emptied it a few hours before so maybe half a sink full.

If I'm parked on wasteground ie gravel grass or sand where it will soak in and not be visible then ill often let it out overnight.

Or I'll drive over a drain and I'll let it out there.

I'm not sure what some folk have in their grey water but im comfortable that mine is not toxic or laden with grease and I've yet to notice a serious smell from it either.
For what it’s worth my issue is “Joe Public” can’t tell the difference between grey waste and black waste and anything running out a Motorhome is seen as sinister....just my interpretation
Joe public could definately tell the difference between my grey and black water that's for sure.

And I think most would guess that it was dishwasher rather than toilet waste.

Ducto

Free Member
May 19, 2018
M Devon
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Campervan since 2003

May be but it's their perception that counts not ours

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
and don't cite Gravelines, the aire services are clearly signposted and about 1km from the parking area

It’s not at the aire though is it?

Trying to suggest that anything within a mile counts as “at the aire” doesn’t really do anything for your argument does it?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Port de Dinan is another one although there’s a service point about 4 miles away so I suppose that doesn’t count either? :rolleyes:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
The fact that a water and dump facility is advertised and is reasonably local makes it possible to plan and use, if you want to that is :)
I guess some can’t be bothered and chuck it down a drain :(

lozbou

Free Member
Sep 29, 2016
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Apart from being inappropriate, it’s illegal to discharge your waste water on the road or in laybys. On some smaller campsites the owner may suggest you pour your grey waste water (from washing up, etc) into a hedgerow or similar – but only do so if you are told to. And never dispose of black waste (from your toilet) in this way.

The above is taken from the camping and caravan club website. And although it would seem most on here are ignorant of the fact you would be procecuted if caught doing it. It does not matter if you think it is stupid, it is still illegal.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back