Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We all have grey waste and generally there is somewhere to dump it safely and cleanly. In most of Europe, at aires, in the UK at campsites ( or wherever I can find that doesnt impact on the environment or annoy others.
So, why were the two motorhomes I saw today at Minnis Bay allowing their grey waste to dribble out onto the roadside parking bays on The Parade, the main road along the sea front?
If I noticed, you can bet almost everyone walking past did too, giving responsible motorhomers a bad name....again, which will probably result in a ban on Motorhome parking in that area.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
IMG_4558.GIF

Here we go, standby as yet another Grey Waste Thread:boxing::clap2:

Just been to the Crick Narrowboat Show. They dump it straight into the canal. No deaths, no threat of life for marine or human. In fact I've just joined the Canal and River Trust and they don't have a problem with it either.

It does no harm whatsoever, other than to irritate some other motorhomers. Just happily dumped mine in the kerbside, watched it run down the drain. Again it didn't or won't kill or hurt anyone.

Even the belief that the worlds supply of carrots, peas, grease, soapy shower water and SWMBO's old shampo that will get discarded on each and every grey dump, will kill every passing motorcyclist hasn't shown it's head once.

Lots of other grey waste threads to plough through if needs be.
https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/inconsiderate-motorhomes.170519/

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
View attachment 234345
Here we go, standby as yet another Grey Waste Thread:boxing::clap2:

Just been to the Crick Narrowboat Show. They dump it straight into the canal. No deaths, no threat of life for marine or human. In fact I've just joined the Canal and River Trust and they don't have a problem with it either.

It does no harm whatsoever, other than to irritate some other motorhomers. Just happily dumped mine in the kerbside, watched it run down the drain. Again it didn't or won't kill or hurt anyone.

Even the belief that the worlds supply of carrots, peas, grease, soapy shower water and SWMBO's old shampo that will get discarded on each and every grey dump, will kill every passing motorcyclist hasn't shown it's head once.

Lots of other grey waste threads to plough through if needs be.
https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/inconsiderate-motorhomes.170519/

Grey waste in canals is fine as long as there are no chemicals( phosphates) or bits of plastic.
Down the drain is fine too, we do it, but all over the road? That’s just lazy and anti social, especially next to a busy beach front.

Last edited:

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
If I noticed, you can bet almost everyone walking past did too, giving responsible motorhomers a bad name....again, which will probably result in a ban on Motorhome parking in that area.

I very much doubt that everyone would have noticed or been in the least bothered if they did.

You say it was on a roadside, not the beach itself, so it would have gone into a drain. No problem

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
so it would have gone into a drain. No problem

Roadside drains generally go into a watercourse.. not a main sewer

Is it ok to put washing up chemicals and germ laden grey water (which may have bacteria and feces from showering) into a stream or pond .. will it not kill wildlife ?

Whether it does or not is academic
as in any case, apart from being inappropriate, it’s illegal to discharge grey waste water on the road or in laybys.

On some smaller campsites the owner may suggest you pour your grey waste water (from washing up, etc) into a hedgerow or similar – but only do so if you are told to, and never black waste.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Is it ok to put washing up chemicals and germ laden grey water (which may have bacteria and feces from showering) into a stream or pond .. will it not kill wildlife ?

Pumping the sea toilet on our boat brought a 'feeding frenzy' from the fish..............not sure I'd eat the fish though;)

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Roadside drains generally go into a watercourse.. not a main sewer

Whether it does or not is academic
as in any case, apart from being inappropriate, it’s illegal to discharge grey waste water on the road or in laybys.

No it’s not illegal. No it won’t kill wildlife. Of course it matters whether it does or not.

Do you honestly think that run off from roads is clean? There’s oil, fuel, general muck and debris, farm slurry, etc, etc. A squirt of washing up liquid and shampoo isn’t going to harm anything.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
No it’s not illegal. No it won’t kill wildlife. Of course it matters whether it does or not.

Do you honestly think that run off from roads is clean? There’s oil, fuel, general muck and debris, farm slurry, etc, etc. A squirt of washing up liquid and shampoo isn’t going to harm anything.

lets agree to disagree . it's a never ending argument.. I don't make the rules .. the law.>>

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1991/57/contents

Controlled waters (streams, rivers, canals, marine environment and groundwater) have statutory protection under the Water Resources Act 1991 and amendments in England and Wales, the Environmental Damage (Prevention and Remediation) Regulations 2009 No.153 in England, the Water Environment (Controlled Activities) Regulations 2005 (CAR) and amendments in Scotland and the Water (Northern Ireland) Order 1999 in Northern Ireland.

It is an offence to make a discharge to controlled waters without the permission or consent of the regulators of these areas, which are the Environment Agency in England and Wales, Scottish Environmental Protection Agency in Scotland, and Northern Ireland Environment Agency in Northern Ireland.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
lets agree to disagree . it's a never ending argument.. I don't make the rules .. the law.>>

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1991/57/contents

Controlled waters (streams, rivers, canals, marine environment and groundwater) have statutory protection under the Water Resources Act 1991 and amendments in England and Wales, the Environmental Damage (Prevention and Remediation) Regulations 2009 No.153 in England, the Water Environment (Controlled Activities) Regulations 2005 (CAR) and amendments in Scotland and the Water (Northern Ireland) Order 1999 in Northern Ireland.

It is an offence to make a discharge to controlled waters without the permission or consent of the regulators of these areas, which are the Environment Agency in England and Wales, Scottish Environmental Protection Agency in Scotland, and Northern Ireland Environment Agency in Northern Ireland.

Of course you can’t discharge waste into watercourses. The thing is though we are discussing grey waste not toxic waste.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I'll confess to emptying our grey waste over a drain before. But I've never done this in a populated area or left the tap open when driving etc.

Can't comment on the legality as I've no idea, but morally I can't see an issue.

We only use environmentally friendly shower gel/washing up liquid etc. This isn't due to being on some crusade, but because the Missus has allergies that mean this is all we can use.

I would imagine our grey waste to be far better for the environment than say someone washing a car?

Obviously only grey waste.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Flood water (Birmingham last week)...... just grey waste? v A dribble from MHs ? ................

over-reaction?

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Flood water (Birmingham last week)...... just grey waste? v A dribble from MHs ? ................

over-reaction?
You're right. Local radio full of the misery of how areas of Northampton were flooded out.

All sorts of human waste floating around, ready to get absorbed back into the water system.

Council 110% to blame as just hadn't cleaned the drains in a long long time. Lots of very angry homeowners and businesses, but no one mentions that as a hazard and it's not grey, it's brown, yuk.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
we are discussing grey waste not toxic waste.

a basin of plain old dish water is different to what comes out of a motorhome grey tank, unless you don't wash your private parts.. if it weren't toxic it wouldn't produce a stomach churning odour when it's dumped.. and I've dumped plenty that would make you feel sick.. not just a few dribbles, but a 25 gal tank from an RV .. makes you want to heave..

Would you say that would be ok, and legal to dump in the road drain?

well you may.. I certainly wouldn't do it, besides, there is no need, all sites have grey water dumping points..

grey water.. wiki

Greywater usually contains some traces of excreta and is therefore not free of pathogens.[3] The excreta comes from washing a person's anal area in the bath and shower, or from the laundry (washing underwear and nappies). The quality of greywater can deteriorate rapidly during storage because it is often warm, contains some nutrients and organic matter (e.g. dead skin cells) as well as pathogens. Stored greywater also leads to odour nuisances for the same reason.[

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
It does no harm whatsoever, other than to irritate some other motorhomers.

Wrong.

#1 It stinks.
#2 It accumulates - the water evaporates, but the rest accumulates. If you maintain that’s not true because you only do it occasionally - it’s not just you, it’s all the others as well.
#3 It (may) contain pathogens.
#4 It stinks.
#5 It gives the rest of us a (very) bad image.
#6 It gives the public and authorities ammunition to ban us.
#7 It’s lazy and unnecessarily cheapskate.
#8 Seeing someone do it “legitimises” it for some people. They may do it even less “responsibly”.
#9 It stinks.
#10 Everyone who does it thinks they are “better” than the other irresponsible grey dumpers.
#11 Just because car washing is currently widely accepted (in the UK) does not mean it will always be so - there are places where it is illegal.
#12 It stinks.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
It will be too late when motor homes are increasingly banned from sea fronts and wild camping areas due to the mess left behind, maybe not litter but unsightly smelly drains in residential and tourist areas as a result of an accumulation of foul water.

Already our lay-bys stink of urine and are littered by those that have no respect for their countryside, are we to add foul water too.

It is not legal to dispose of grey/foul water in surface water drains and water courses.

In domestic situations grey/foul water is not legally disposed of in surface water drains.

Where grey/foul water is disposed of on land away from water courses it’s easily absorbed in moderation and unlikely to leave a residue but not necessarily legal.

If those that are happy to dump their grey water in the road or surface water drains would be happy for their neighbour to do the same outside their door or next to their pitch then it’s a sad situation.
If I turned up on a CL and my pitch was wet with grey waste I would leave but I guess some would be happy with it .

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
I didn’t mean to comment on the right or wrongs of emptying grey water onto the road, though I personally would always ensure it could go down a drain or proper disposal point. Not all grey water is clean though, as WSandMe states, if left any length of time in the tank, it stinks so obviously contains more stuff than I would want to touch!

My main point was about what others think you are releasing onto the road and with the general attitude towards motorhome parking in the U.K., dribbling waste onto the road, in plain view of everyone, near a busy holiday beach, will result in people’s opinions of us being more hostile.
I attended a council meeting a few years ago where a TRO was being considered on a similar beachfront road in Kent. Allegedly, local residents were complaining about motorhomes and campervans parking along the seafront. To my knowledge, there were no complaints, but certain council officials made out there were. The decision to make the order was clinched when one of them provided photographs of motorhomes with waste water draining on the road.

So, right or wrong, draining grey water on the road could result in further parking restrictions or bans.
I know some people don’t care, but others do and they are ultimately the ones who suffer.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
a basin of plain old dish water is different to what comes out of a motorhome grey tank, unless you don't wash your private parts.. if it weren't toxic it wouldn't produce a stomach churning odour when it's dumped.. and I've dumped plenty that would make you feel sick.. not just a few dribbles, but a 25 gal tank from an RV .. makes you want to heave..

Would you say that would be ok, and legal to dump in the road drain?

well you may.. I certainly wouldn't do it, besides, there is no need, all sites have grey water dumping points...[

I don't know what you put in your grey waste but we dump over 230 litres from our vehicle and it doesn't smell.

My dog pees on the road, my horse shits on the road, my car deposits fuel and oil on the road over time, I take my car to the by hand car was and the water there goes into the drain... as does the aforementioned. I could go on... but I think I've made my point.

Frankly, I'm not incontinent so any black waste eminating from my body goes in the black tank. :D

Reactions: Btg
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Imagine all your sink and shower waste at home running down an open drain through your garden , would you like that? :eek:
I guess some might live like it others rise above it.:)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Imagine all your sink and shower waste at home running down an open drain through your garden , would you like that? :eek:
I guess some might live like it others rise above it.:)

well, some people have waste that doesn't smell.. an no pathogens as they don't shower :eek:

they also have dogs and and horses that pee and shit on the road.. but that's also ok .. :rolleyes: never understood why it's ok for horse to shit on the raid, but not dog
and as usually .. cite other wrongs to justify the first 'wrong' ..

two Wongs don't make a couple ;)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
... drains/rivers ... fish and frogs poo in them .... :rolleyes:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
... drains/rivers ... fish and frogs poo in them .... :rolleyes:

another citing that has no relevance :rolleyes:
I beg to differ ... you mentioned 'poo' first ... :D
Greywater usually contains some traces of excreta and is therefore not free of pathogens.[3] The excreta comes from washing a person's anal area in the bath and shower, or from the laundry (washing underwear and nappies). The quality of greywater can deteriorate rapidly during storage because it is often warm, contains some nutrients and organic matter (e.g. dead skin cells) as well as pathogens. Stored greywater also leads to odour nuisances for the same reason.[

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back