Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
ok I've had false readings from our grey waste water tank for ages , so I am finally going to remove it ( I'll have to remove the tank from our 07 Bessacarr E560 to get it out as no inspection hole ) and give the sensor a good thorough soak and clean.
So I have 2 questions.
1. What is the best to clean the sensor with and soak it in.
2. Can I test the level sensor with a multimeter after cleaning to make sure they are all working ? If so how do I check them ?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
For what its worth my, and many American RVs suffer the same problem, you can Google the "Geo Method" for tank and sensor cleaning
(nothing to do with me)although I have crossed swords with him (the inventor) in the past as has Jim.

It did and does work well trouble is after two uses of it working correctly it went back to its unreliable readings
I fear the same may happen to your valiant effort, as it,s the drying out of the crud after emptying that causes the fault, so is to all intents unavoidable

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I've cleaned the sensor in our waste tank (same as yours @Bart ) several times - access through the screw cap in the bottom. I use a wet slightly abrasive cloth but don't rub too hard, just enough to take the crud off. As mentioned above, lasts for a couple of weeks then back to it's previous state. So I don't bother anymore as I usually know pretty well when it needs emptying and I try to run at least some of it off every day if I can.

Tip for you - use the contents of your grey waste tank to flush out the cassette, especially at bournes where you have to pay for fresh water or it's turned off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Bart, I have the same van as you and have been studiously ignoring the waste tank sensor for years. After a while you get to know how much is in there. We use one watering can, about ten litres a day, most of which ends up in the waste tank. So, remember what you put in and you know how much is there.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Don't bother. Just put some paint over the warning light. :)

I find we know when the tank is full just based on time. And the drains gurgle too. :)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
another one for what goes in must come out, if water needs refilling empty grey (y)(y)

we also found to our cost the seals on the waste pipe from sinks to tank are not that good and might leak if surcharged

so revision to line 1 if clean water shows 25% empty grey o_O(y)

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
I've cleaned the sensor in our waste tank (same as yours @Bart ) several times - access through the screw cap in the bottom. I use a wet slightly abrasive cloth but don't rub too hard, just enough to take the crud off. As mentioned above, lasts for a couple of weeks then back to it's previous state. So I don't bother anymore as I usually know pretty well when it needs emptying and I try to run at least some of it off every day if I can.

Tip for you - use the contents of your grey waste tank to flush out the cassette, especially at bournes where you have to pay for fresh water or it's turned off.
Good tip. Thank you.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks all for the help / replies , guess posting here has just saved me the effort of doing this task :)
Especially in this weather.
Now all i have to do is next year when i have the same issue ill have to remember that i already asked this question and got said answer , as sometimes i worry about my memory :D and would find myself asking the same shit again :D

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
You may wish to check the straps holding your waste tank under the van, I replaced mine with stainless steel a couple of years ago as the originals were looking very tired.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I just wondered if because of the lack of success in cleaning the probes that the problem might be with junction at the top of the sensors not the probes.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Before going to the extent of taking the tank out, put a good dollop of Thethford Tank Cleaner in it and fill with hot water and go for a 20-30 mile drive, that should get rid of all the crud.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sometimes i worry about my memory :D and would find myself asking the same shit again
it's referred to as "deja poo", as in i've been through this crap before

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
You may wish to check the straps holding your waste tank under the van, I replaced mine with stainless steel a couple of years ago as the originals were looking very tired.
I actually had my tank removed in the summer and spent a few days with a grinder and a large tin of hammerite , several coats later and it's all good , ofc at that time I never removed the sensor :xeek:

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I just wondered if because of the lack of success in cleaning the probes that the problem might be with junction at the top of the sensors not the probes.

When I HAVE cleaned them I've taken particular care to clean around the bases of the probes too in case the crud was shorting them out.

Before going to the extent of taking the tank out, put a good dollop of Thethford Tank Cleaner in it and fill with hot water and go for a 20-30 mile drive, that should get rid of all the crud.

Done that too - main advantage is that it cleans the tank of sludge sticking to the inside of the tank thus getting rid of the pong. Doesn't seem to help the sensor though.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
In the fresh water tank the probes often get a build up of calcium that stops them working also can happen in the waste tank, worth taking them out and soaking in hot white wine vinegar.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Oh well just a thought - They are well sealed on the outside as well then?

Can't get at mine without removing the tank (that's what OP was on about). If you can get at them easily it's maybe worth a try.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back