Grey Waste Pipe issues. i.e. they are plastic and leak (1 Viewer)

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
So this is a minor problem but one I would really like to sort at some point soon just so everything is ship shape Bristol fashion.

My Grey water drain pipe leaks from the connection to the tank (external). I had to replace the pipe shortly after buying the motorhome last year (was a year old then) because it split due the swinging motion of the arm to lower the drain tap to open.

I went to my local caravan supplies shop (Towsure) for a replacement but it just won't make a good seal. Mainly because its really poor rigid plastic and the motion of swinging the arm up and down wiggles it too much at the connection and it just leaks.... I have tightened the jubilee clip as much as I dare without doing damage to anything and thats all I think I can do really. Ideally I think I need a more rubbery hose pipe type thing so its got a bit of elasticity to it for the swing & seal.

Anyone suffer the same issue and sort it? currently it just dribbles its contents out on the ground which is not ideal for been a friendly camper.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Could you put a more rigid or an extra support on the pipe to stop it moving ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
So this is a minor problem but one I would really like to sort at some point soon just so everything is ship shape Bristol fashion.

My Grey water drain pipe leaks from the connection to the tank (external). I had to replace the pipe shortly after buying the motorhome last year (was a year old then) because it split due the swinging motion of the arm to lower the drain tap to open.

I went to my local caravan supplies shop (Towsure) for a replacement but it just won't make a good seal. Mainly because its really poor rigid plastic and the motion of swinging the arm up and down wiggles it too much at the connection and it just leaks.... I have tightened the jubilee clip as much as I dare without doing damage to anything and thats all I think I can do really. Ideally I think I need a more rubbery hose pipe type thing so its got a bit of elasticity to it for the swing & seal.

Anyone suffer the same issue and sort it? currently it just dribbles its contents out on the ground which is not ideal for been a friendly camper.
OMG another one. careful the dribble police will be after you:ROFLMAO: change your number plates quick!!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Perhaps you need a short flexible section with jubilee clips to join together. Best not get a stronger pipe it might dammage the fitting on the water tank.

OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Can you put a photo on here, it would help to see the connection to the tank.

IMG_2161.JPG
IMG_5582.JPG
IMG_8063.JPG

Mainly leaking out of the tap connection when I lowered it down for the picture. Otherwise it drips from the tank connection.

To be fair that tap is useless. Nothing has ever come out of it. I should probably strip it off and clean it on the work bench. currently I just pull the hose off from the tap end and let it free fall from the hose.... Thats if it hasn't already dripped out of the tank connection slowly.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I just used some heavy duty gaffer tape.

OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
I just used some heavy duty gaffer tape.
I like that idea... Attack it like a pro.

Not very OEM and possibly a pain to remove when the pipe needs replacing again which I guess is every year based on the original? but if it works it works I guess....

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You'll never get a proper seal connecting convoluted pipe onto smooth pipe or fittings.
You need a special insert to make the inside of the convolution smooth......like the end of a washing machine drain hose.
You could press silicon sealant into the DRY convolution for a couple of inches inside the pipe to make it smooth, let it cure then slide it back on and secure with hose clips

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
The gaffer tape has lasted four years so far. I broke the connection to the tank when we grounded on some rough ground, I'll fix it if it breaks again.

OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Thats terrible - wot a bodge and why is it on a flex? I would be starting again at the connection with the tank.
Just been out and taken a picture of my waste pipe. Straight piece of pipe, well supported tap on the end - perfect - and simple

View attachment 191982 View attachment 191983
Yours does look more simple. However it looks like a very low ground clearance?

Not that i go off roading in my MH but I do like I can throw up large kurbs without a worry or turn up steap approaches without risking a grounding

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I had a similar problem on our Autotrail. Asked a mate of mine, a plumber, he recommended ATMOS THREADSEAL.

I got it from PLUMBASE, it come in a 60ml tube, it fixed it, no more leaks. Can't remember the cost, if you do use it it is best if you knead the tube before you use it, sometimes it separates.

edit; I know tiz THREADseal, and your pipe isn't , mine wasn't either, but it fixed the problem.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Yours does look more simple. However it looks like a very low ground clearance?

You're right it does look low in the photos but its not in real life. I have been up steep boat ramps without any issues.
Never been a problem.
It is determined by the fixing into the tank but I suppose you could tilt it upwards but it then would be difficult to reach the tap.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Thats terrible - wot a bodge and why is it on a flex? I would be starting again at the connection with the tank.
Just been out and taken a picture of my waste pipe. Straight piece of pipe, well supported tap on the end - perfect - and simple

View attachment 191982 View attachment 191983

Perfect, just like mine, so when you go around the first right hander it empties the whole lot into the ditch(y);):D2

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back