Grey waste outlet, Autotrail poor design. (1 Viewer)

May 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Imala 620
Exp
Autotrail Imala 620 2016. Noticed the outlet/tap on the grey waste seemed a little "wobbly" so checked it out. The underslung tank has a pipe attached which terminates at a large tap at the edge of the vehicle. On the pipe, close to the tap, is a fitting which has a very long threaded stud, attached to another fitting on the underside of the vehicle floor. The floor fitting was loose, one of the two screws appearing to have ripped from its hole. While examining the stripped screw and considering how to repair, I noticed quite a lot of forward/backward movement in the pipe, with a little liquid dripping from the bulkhead fitting on the tank. The job seemed to becoming bigger. Ok, I removed one of the two large inspection covers (a big screw-on cap) and got an expected trickle of dubious water on my face. Reaching inside the tank to the fitting resulted in retrieving a large plastic nut, used to secure the tank fitting on the inside. It was broken, no longer holding the tank fitting tight. I purchased a new nut (this time brass) together with a couple of rubber washers/seals and refitted, then replaced inspection cap. I then made a metal plate to fit to the underside of the floor, to re-attach the upper stud mount, this time adding a locknut to the stud. The poor OEM build has now been improved by me and I doubt will give further problems moving forward. I have however noticed another problem, probably also connected to the original one. The waste tank is held in place with two metal straps secured to the underside of the chassis. These two straps run in line with the vehicle, front to back. The vertical faces of the straps are wider than the width of the tank, with around an inch gap each side. I found that I am able to grip the tank and move it back and forth between the strap faces. As the discharge pipe/tap is fixed at the tap end, I wonder if the tank has been moving forward/back putting strain on the discharge pipe? Also, is the tank able to move left/right in addition to forward/back, thus creating another possible problem? I think I need to take another look at the tank and its mounting to see if it requires further work to improve what appears to be very poor attention to detail by Autotrail.

Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
I have had very few problems with my Autotrail Delaware but experienced exactly the same problem with the waste outlet connection to the waste tank and the way the pipe was (not) secured to the body. There was a collar that should have been screwed in place where the grey water pipe comes through the chassis but it had never been secured. This led to the pipe moving and its seal with the tank was damaged. Luckily for me I found out as I was taking it to John’s Cross so they fixed it.

JennyG

Free Member
Mar 4, 2023
Funster No
MH
auto trail imala 620
Autotrail Imala 620 2016. Noticed the outlet/tap on the grey waste seemed a little "wobbly" so checked it out. The underslung tank has a pipe attached which terminates at a large tap at the edge of the vehicle. On the pipe, close to the tap, is a fitting which has a very long threaded stud, attached to another fitting on the underside of the vehicle floor. The floor fitting was loose, one of the two screws appearing to have ripped from its hole. While examining the stripped screw and considering how to repair, I noticed quite a lot of forward/backward movement in the pipe, with a little liquid dripping from the bulkhead fitting on the tank. The job seemed to becoming bigger. Ok, I removed one of the two large inspection covers (a big screw-on cap) and got an expected trickle of dubious water on my face. Reaching inside the tank to the fitting resulted in retrieving a large plastic nut, used to secure the tank fitting on the inside. It was broken, no longer holding the tank fitting tight. I purchased a new nut (this time brass) together with a couple of rubber washers/seals and refitted, then replaced inspection cap. I then made a metal plate to fit to the underside of the floor, to re-attach the upper stud mount, this time adding a locknut to the stud. The poor OEM build has now been improved by me and I doubt will give further problems moving forward. I have however noticed another problem, probably also connected to the original one. The waste tank is held in place with two metal straps secured to the underside of the chassis. These two straps run in line with the vehicle, front to back. The vertical faces of the straps are wider than the width of the tank, with around an inch gap each side. I found that I am able to grip the tank and move it back and forth between the strap faces. As the discharge pipe/tap is fixed at the tap end, I wonder if the tank has been moving forward/back putting strain on the discharge pipe? Also, is the tank able to move left/right in addition to forward/back, thus creating another possible problem? I think I need to take another look at the tank and its mounting to see if it requires further work to improve what appears to be very poor attention to detail by Autotrail.
Many thanks for this posting. Just came upon this problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Did you report this obvious design fault back to Autotrail? I think that by reporting to them they may just take heed and alter design work practices, what do you think?

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I had this with my imala too, (2019)
I reported it along with a load of other thinsg that went wrong with it that almost caused me to send it back.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Hahaha, that’s brilliant, report it to Autotrail. Sorry to be a bit sarcastic, but in the past 12 years, I’ve reported, emailed, phoned, met them at shows, the lot and they just aren’t interested in the slightest.

Shame on them, but they build units that they easily sell and don’t seem to care one bit.

I even highlighted all the hidden faults, that owners would most probably never find, as they’re hidden and only visible when you dismantle something, but again they just don’t care and nor does the fact workforce in my opinion.

Appears to me that there is no stage inspections carried out during the build process, so the bent, missing and broken screws, poor hanging doors, shoddy electrical wiring etc, that I have found on mine, should have either been found or never occurred in the first place.

Its like Welcome To Autotrail 🤭

Just some of the wiring woes I found when my rear lights failed.

15668FCB-1EA6-4AC9-8BB2-6B5BC7B8D83A.jpeg
9FBDE60C-2C5B-473B-93EA-3D4FE44CB022.jpeg
33364709-35C2-4A09-9B72-08A599668D36.png
742915D4-F2F0-41ED-9D7A-401B83F7D3F0.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Mostly these MoHo makers are only interested in numbers sold and money coming in!
Why should they care that someone hasn’t done their job properly, in fact the workforce is probably on such a short time limit they rush and things get missed!
Doesn't excuse them tho, QC should catch things like that!

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Hahaha, that’s brilliant, report it to Autotrail. Sorry to be a bit sarcastic, but in the past 12 years, I’ve reported, emailed, phoned, met them at shows, the lot and they just aren’t interested in the slightest.

Shame on them, but they build units that they easily sell and don’t seem to care one bit.

I even highlighted all the hidden faults, that owners would most probably never find, as they’re hidden and only visible when you dismantle something, but again they just don’t care and nor does the fact workforce in my opinion.

Appears to me that there is no stage inspections carried out during the build process, so the bent, missing and broken screws, poor hanging doors, shoddy electrical wiring etc, that I have found on mine, should have either been found or never occurred in the first place.

Its like Welcome To Autotrail 🤭

Just some of the wiring woes I found when my rear lights failed.

View attachment 722847View attachment 722848View attachment 722850View attachment 722851
Remind me not to buy an Autotrail then !

Oct 19, 2019
Swindon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Swift
Exp
Since 2012
Did you report this obvious design fault back to Autotrail? I think that by reporting to them they may just take heed and alter design work practices, what do you think?
I had various faults on a new Swift due to design faults and a lack of quality control which were fixed by the dealer and I also sent photos to Swift. 2 years later I went to the MH show at the NEC where the latest model of my MH was on display with these same faults still not rectified.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I had various faults on a new Swift due to design faults and a lack of quality control which were fixed by the dealer and I also sent photos to Swift. 2 years later I went to the MH show at the NEC where the latest model of my MH was on display with these same faults still not rectified.
This is why I suggested reporting back to manufacture, if they don’t know it’s a regular issue on a number of vans they will not try to improve. Having said that I shouldn’t expect anything from manufacturers as they don’t appear to be interested. I thought the dealers would be keen to keep reporting recurring faults to solve the problems but it appears not. As long as new customers come along who don’t know the issues nothing will be done I suppose 🤨

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back