Grey waste - Act responsibly! (1 Viewer)

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
I have just returned from a few weeks wandering France and Iberia and will post a few amusing pics over the next week or so. Here's the first.

Grey waste - one of our favourite topics that always generates some interesting input.

The first pic shows a standard grey drain so that our water can be easily off-loaded leaving it for the local authority to dispose of it in a responsible manner:

The next pic shows the local authority's disposal process.

I had to chuckle.

DSCN5324a.JPG
DSCN5325a.JPG

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I have just returned from a few weeks wandering France and Iberia and will post a few amusing pics over the next week or so. Here's the first.

Grey waste - one of our favourite topics that always generates some interesting input.

The first pic shows a standard grey drain so that our water can be easily off-loaded leaving it for the local authority to dispose of it in a responsible manner:

I had to chuckle.

View attachment 169834 View attachment 169838

That the French way :whistle:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014

I had to chuckle.

View attachment 169834 View attachment 169838

Exactly what I have always said! Why do you all bother! I've emptied Max's grey water tank 2 days ago in my garden! I don't see the point of doing anything else.

EDIT : You'd better worry about NOT throwing your ciggies through the window whilst driving! So many forest fires would be avoided! And probably even more if you were acting in a responsible manner by watering all these dry areas in Portugal Spain or France! My view!

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
I've been to that aire, by a river I think. :)

Deffo not happy when it goes to a river, just like anyone else. But what I am trying to say is that English people will never think the same way we do as your country is very green . That rain you complaining about saves you. How many forests fires have you had in the last 10 years? How many Spain Portugal France Italy Greece had in the same period?
Water is a gift of God (if any...) So a bit soapy or not it still can save nature and people.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Deffo not happy when it goes to a river, just like anyone else. But what I am trying to say is that English people will never think the same way we do as your country is very green . That rain you complaining about saves you. How many forests fires have you had in the last 10 years? How many Spain Portugal France Italy Greece had in the same period?
Water is a gift of God (if any...) So a bit soapy or not it still can save nature and people.

Most of us are ok with it being dumped off road. The only exceptions (at least in my book) is on actual pitches where the next person has to use the spot where you dumped.
The other exception is on the roads. Grey water can cause a hazard for motorcyclists for one, it can stink and go into the following vehicles ventilation system.

I am not having a dig at you, just pointing out that us grey waste anti-dumpers are mainly on about roads.

The final reason not to dump on the road is the impression it gives. In the UK motorhome owners and caravanners are not a much liked group. The opponents will jump on any thing to have a go at us, if they see us dumping waste on the roads they will have an absolute field day on us..

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
It reminds me of when I was a little boy living in village called Woodhurst. My Parents bought the local pub, which had closed. A major damp problem was identified as an old creaking village water pump.

Many people bemoaned the removal of the "village pump" which some saw as public property despite the fact that it was on private land

It shocked many when the outside "loo's" were demolished, to find that all the waste from the Gents dropped straight down into the well that the pump drew water from!

No one died lol

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Grey waste ?? In Belgium and France in the RV I dumped both tanks down drains like that , no problem :imoutahere:

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
@Gromett I understand what you mean Karl, especially about leaking on the road. As for the dump on a pitch I must say it really depends on what you do whith your water. I for example wipe carefully anything left in the plates or dishes , I boil the grease in the pans to unstick everything from the bottom, and then same thing, wipe it carefully. So my grey waters smells as JJ would say "channel number 5" and has nothing else but water and a bit of soap. Anything else needing water and which could be a problem is done over the toilet bowl, so in the cassette, and dumped at the dump point.
But I know people seldom bother and do all I'm doing to have clean hoses LOL !

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
@yodeli... You speak miles and miles of wisdom. I don't get all this nonsense either with the UK mentality sometimes. Driving for miles to dump grey water etc... what's wrong with a bit of waste ground or ditch? Throwing fags out of windows, portable barbecues and the gas ones what????? might as well cook in the kitchen, safer than starting a forest fire.

This may be the reason I am moving to France in 8 weeks or so myself Sick to death with it all

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
To be fair I expect that the supply box you can see to the left of the CDP is feeding the float switch and pump within a separator tank below ground, highly likely that if you opened up the green manhole you would find the telemetry cabling to the tank. The outlet to the ditch I suspect will be an overflow from the separated side of the tank.

Just a guess but the French have stringent polution regulations based on EU law same as the UK.

OP
OP
GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
While we're on the subject of lavatorial practices, here's another item I came across that I thought was "interesting" and actually quite a good design.
Not something that I normally go around photographing but I've never seen one like this before so, hey ho......

DSCN5403a.JPG
DSCN5404a.JPG

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
While we're on the subject of lavatorial practices, here's another item I came across that I thought was "interesting" and actually quite a good design.
Not something that I normally go around photographing but I've never seen one like this before so, hey ho......

View attachment 170008 View attachment 170009
I hope that's so that it can be used by kiddies and NOT to turn it into a 'squat' toilet!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
To be fair I expect that the supply box you can see to the left of the CDP is feeding the float switch and pump within a separator tank below ground, highly likely that if you opened up the green manhole you would find the telemetry cabling to the tank. The outlet to the ditch I suspect will be an overflow from the separated side of the tank.

Just a guess but the French have stringent polution regulations based on EU law same as the UK.

I'd be surprised.

I've seen dump points on aires that are far cruder than that.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I do a lot of survey work on sewage treatment works and have some experience of treating dirty water by passing over grass plots and or reed beds, it provides a near perfect solution to grey waste, or in sewage terms, storm water and poor quality final effluent, both getting a massive improvement before passing to river (y)

As said above I doubt very much this will be going straight to that ditch, it would stink with the addition of the elsan adjacent :( plus the grid invites black tank dumping not just grey o_O

great photo though, (y) a bit of humour to allow constructive discussion does no harm (y)(y):):)

but as said above dumping on roads looks awful to anyone seeing it, the spray on windscreen is annoying, especially knowing the residue is also on the paintwork, there is no need or justification to do it, its lazy, selfish and wrong :(

and roadside gulleys are a no no as well, they will nearly always feed directly to the nearest water course

Grass verge, edge of field / campsite, middle of your own lawn when home all perfect (y)(y), even rally fields that will not be used by someone else straightaway, but then close your valve before moving please :)

BMM

Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Maybe if we all dropped our Grey waste in Lay-bys it would help to stop them all smelling of Pi55(y)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
and roadside gulleys are a no no as well, they will nearly always feed directly to the nearest water course

I'd have thought that grey water was the least offensive material that flows into a roadside gully? It can only help dilute the oil, rubber, Diesel, salt, animal faeces, and road-kill debris that normally finds its way there.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Sanitary arrangements in our DeLux tent at the Camel Fair in India. If you were quick you could pop round the back for a second look.:(

P1060750.JPG
P1060751.JPG

BMM

Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
With the environment in mind for my first trip I may just shower naked in the middle of my pitch, saving any need to empty my Grey tank responsibly, I did wonder why the RV had an outside shower fitted, Now I know!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back