Grey tank winterisation - advice needed please (1 Viewer)

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Hello all!

So back onto my great "winterisation project"! Work has started on making our Challenger 287GA useable throughout the year iun both our Polish climate as well as for Scandinavian/Skiing winter holidays. Step one was to fit a 14kg refillable LPG system, which just fit into our gas locker! Step 2 is to winterise our underslung grey tank. Our long-suffering moho mechanic Darek has proposed 3 different options which i shall list below:

1 - Fit 2 heating pads onto the bottom of the grey tank and then insulate the tank using suitable foam. By suitable I should add that i mean that the foam does not absorb water/fuel/salt from the road whilst driving.

2 - As above, but also fit a lightweight aluminium "box" construction around the whole assembly to stop any contact with the foam from road contamination.

3 - Construct an aluminium box lined with foam insulation of a size slightly larger than the existing grey tank. Fit this around the grey tank and tap into the existing heating trunking to provide a hot air source into the "box" which would pump an adjustable amount of hot air around the grey tank when the heating is in operation.

I should add that the cost for all three options is pretty similar and also that cost is secondary to having a system which works and fulfils our needs. My own thought is that option 3 is the best option as we are not increasing our electrical draw by having heat mats fitted and are simply using an existing hot air supply which it is reasonable to assume would be running anyway if we are concerned with having water freeze. I know from our recent browsing/buying that Adria use a similar system to (3) with the air control system fitted into the garage.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the above? Or if you have an Adria van with system (3) fitted could you offer any feedback as to its operation and efficacy? As always, many thanks for any thoughts or opinions you can offer me!

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Optian 3 is about how our 2001 Hymer is, grey tank with polystyrene lined plastic box around it with heat duct from blown air.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
I'd vote for 3 - it's what our 2006 Hymer uses also. It will be a bit bulkier than the other options so check that ground clearance will be okay

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
i would do 1's heating pads along with 2's ali box insulated with 3's foam & ducted hot air. Belt & braces me.(y)
**Oh & leave the valve open with bucket under:LOL:
Richard, aā€™say Richard, it donā€™t freeze where you are :doh:

Jul 11, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro T486
Exp
Since August 2020
Hello all!

So back onto my great "winterisation project"! Work has started on making our Challenger 287GA useable throughout the year iun both our Polish climate as well as for Scandinavian/Skiing winter holidays. Step one was to fit a 14kg refillable LPG system, which just fit into our gas locker! Step 2 is to winterise our underslung grey tank. Our long-suffering moho mechanic Darek has proposed 3 different options which i shall list below:

1 - Fit 2 heating pads onto the bottom of the grey tank and then insulate the tank using suitable foam. By suitable I should add that i mean that the foam does not absorb water/fuel/salt from the road whilst driving.

2 - As above, but also fit a lightweight aluminium "box" construction around the whole assembly to stop any contact with the foam from road contamination.

3 - Construct an aluminium box lined with foam insulation of a size slightly larger than the existing grey tank. Fit this around the grey tank and tap into the existing heating trunking to provide a hot air source into the "box" which would pump an adjustable amount of hot air around the grey tank when the heating is in operation.

I should add that the cost for all three options is pretty similar and also that cost is secondary to having a system which works and fulfils our needs. My own thought is that option 3 is the best option as we are not increasing our electrical draw by having heat mats fitted and are simply using an existing hot air supply which it is reasonable to assume would be running anyway if we are concerned with having water freeze. I know from our recent browsing/buying that Adria use a similar system to (3) with the air control system fitted into the garage.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the above? Or if you have an Adria van with system (3) fitted could you offer any feedback as to its operation and efficacy? As always, many thanks for any thoughts or opinions you can offer me!
On the subject of winterisation generally, do many folk bother in the UK unless your van is in long term storage? Ours is staying on the drive and will be taken out for day trips throughout the winter so short of draining fresh tank (which I would do 2-3 days after being parked up at home anyway) and grey tank emptying which is done regularly anyway, do I need to worry about anything else?

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
On the subject of winterisation generally, do many folk bother in the UK unless your van is in long term storage? Ours is staying on the drive and will be taken out for day trips throughout the winter so short of draining fresh tank (which I would do 2-3 days after being parked up at home anyway) and grey tank emptying which is done regularly anyway, do I need to worry about anything else?

One nanā€™s winterisation is another manā€™s lay up for winter. šŸ‘

My van came fully winterised and needs no modifications for year round use.šŸ˜Ž

Ian

OP
OP
RubyOptics
Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Leave the valve open with a bucket under it.
And what do I do with the frozen grey water ice sculpture in the morning if I'm in the middle of nowhere in Norway?!

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Break
And what do I do with the frozen grey water ice sculpture in the morning if I'm in the middle of nowhere in Norway?!
Whatever you want to do with it. Itā€™s outside and not wrecking your grey water tank. What are you going to do with the water in your tank?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
No.3 it's what most German vans do, they feed from the heating is normally a 32mm pipe branched off the 60mm main pipe.

OP
OP
RubyOptics
Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Break

Whatever you want to do with it. Itā€™s outside and not wrecking your grey water tank. What are you going to do with the water in your tank?
Well, having 100 litres of storage that won't freeze (hopefully!) allows me time to find a suitable and responsible dumping point, whereas having an open bucket of now-frozen waste doen't really give me the same option! I understand your point and agree iot would work if I were staying on a site/aire, but we won't really be doing those things hence my original question.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back