grey metalic hymer skirt paint (1 Viewer)

Robert cardiff

Free Member
Oct 8, 2017
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
Hymer 640 starline
Exp
4months
hi I am doing some body work on my hymer and I am trying to locate some of the original paint
I have contacted Brownhill's they told me the paint is called grey metallic and the code is A9233 but they cannot get it would any body know any place that I can get it ,or if anyone has any spare skirts for sale I would be interested . my Hymer is a starline 640 Merc Thanks also does anyone know if I can get replacement decants for my Hymer I need the front transfer which says starline 640 cheers

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I think you will find it difficult to get a match code and even if you did it is unlikely to be the best match due to fade over the years.
Also when I looked carefully, the front and rear bumpers were a different shade as were the side sections !
A good bodyshop will match it or halfords will do the same and mix it. I found a rattle can in Halfords was a decent match, it was called Rover Steel Grey.
I still need to get my front bumper painted but just not got around to it yet, I think any roughly similar grey will look fine.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
My Hymer 754 is in the paint shop this week having both bumpers painted. Originally I thought it was just lacquer peel, but after the boys had seen it in the flesh it turned out the bumpers had been painted at some point in its life but they had not been primed properly. It has now turned out quite an expensive job.

OP
OP
Robert cardiff

Robert cardiff

Free Member
Oct 8, 2017
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
Hymer 640 starline
Exp
4months
I think you will find it difficult to get a match code and even if you did it is unlikely to be the best match due to fade over the years.
Also when I looked carefully, the front and rear bumpers were a different shade as were the side sections !
A good bodyshop will match it or halfords will do the same and mix it. I found a rattle can in Halfords was a decent match, it was called Rover Steel Grey.
I still need to get my front bumper painted but just not got around to it yet, I think any roughly similar grey will look fine.

thanks for the advice if I have any luck I will let you know thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Robert cardiff

Robert cardiff

Free Member
Oct 8, 2017
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
Hymer 640 starline
Exp
4months
My Hymer 754 is in the paint shop this week having both bumpers painted. Originally I thought it was just lacquer peel, but after the boys had seen it in the flesh it turned out the bumpers had been painted at some point in its life but they had not been primed properly. It has now turned out quite an expensive job.
I know the feeling just pouring money in to get it looking tidy good luck hope you are happy with the paint job thanks for the reply

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
There are a number of companies that should be able to help with the decals. Here is one:

https://www.caravangraphics.com/motorhomegraphics/e-z/hymer.html

As you have the paint code, any number of companies can mix it for you. The problem, as mentioned above, is that it will match the original colour but that may have faded over time.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
hi I am doing some body work on my hymer and I am trying to locate some of the original paint
I have contacted Brownhill's they told me the paint is called grey metallic and the code is A9233 but they cannot get it would any body know any place that I can get it ,or if anyone has any spare skirts for sale I would be interested . my Hymer is a starline 640 Merc Thanks also does anyone know if I can get replacement decants for my Hymer I need the front transfer which says starline 640 cheers

Does it also have corrosion on the side skirts, they usually do at that age.
Are you looking at taking the skirts off the van and getting them sorted?

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
A decent paintshop can match. They won't need the number.
@jock had some new decals made fir his hymer. Maybe he can advise who he used.

OP
OP
Robert cardiff

Robert cardiff

Free Member
Oct 8, 2017
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
Hymer 640 starline
Exp
4months
Does it also have corrosion on the side skirts, they usually do at that age.
Are you looking at taking the skirts off the van and getting them sorted?
yes does have corrosion will remove one by one

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
When you get decals made make sure you get the right quality as some are only 'rated' to last a short period whilst others are meant for 10 years ... you do get what you pay for.

skipper64

Free Member
Nov 28, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
After exploring the possibilities of having the bumper on my 644 respayed I found it was virtually as cheap to buy a new one.The paint shop who I have used before and do a cracking job told me ideally they wanted to take the bumper off so they could do a proper job and for it to fit in the oven.Bought a new one through Darren at Brownhills,despite their reputation Darren is a first class chap to deal with.Also had side Hymer stripes relaced as they had faded badly.Was told the new ones were coloured all the way through,not like the originals,so make sure they are coloured right through.

OP
OP
Robert cardiff

Robert cardiff

Free Member
Oct 8, 2017
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
Hymer 640 starline
Exp
4months
After exploring the possibilities of having the bumper on my 644 respayed I found it was virtually as cheap to buy a new one.The paint shop who I have used before and do a cracking job told me ideally they wanted to take the bumper off so they could do a proper job and for it to fit in the oven.Bought a new one through Darren at Brownhills,despite their reputation Darren is a first class chap to deal with.Also had side Hymer stripes relaced as they had faded badly.Was told the new ones were coloured all the way through,not like the originals,so make sure they are coloured right through.
Thanks For the advice very helpfull

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Hi Google "auto paint supplies Cardiff" Brings up a whole page of suppliers, Most will be able to make a decent match if you get a sample to them. Expect to have to buy at least one or 2 litres though, Auto paint is very expensive. As I know from doing Classic Cars. BTW with a Manufacturers paint code Halfords will mix you an aerosol can up, but the colour match will not compensate for paint fade.

OP
OP
Robert cardiff

Robert cardiff

Free Member
Oct 8, 2017
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
Hymer 640 starline
Exp
4months
Hi Google "auto paint supplies Cardiff" Brings up a whole page of suppliers, Most will be able to make a decent match if you get a sample to them. Expect to have to buy at least one or 2 litres though, Auto paint is very expensive. As I know from doing Classic Cars. BTW with a Manufacturers paint code Halfords will mix you an aerosol can up, but the colour match will not compensate for paint fade.
yeah I know colour matching is difficult the only thing I can do is to spray the skirts and bumper the same colour thanks for your help

Apr 17, 2016
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
Talk to a salesman at your local truck dealer. They will give you the names of good commercial painters that should be able to help and also good "signwriters" that should be able to help with the decals. Most companies that fit graphics to trucks have the ability to design almost anything and cut to size and shape. It will be less expensive than going to Hymer. If you are struggling for names and addresses let me know and I will get some for you next week.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
People metallic effect paints like the grey lower parts on a Hymer don’t fade, the problem of colour matching is complicated because folk in the supply chain won’t give us the paint codes we need to repair damaged areas. The issue is further complicated by the fact that many Hymer bumpers have previously been repaired by folk like me who have to use their experience and use a colour that is close to the original but not exact. When some years later the parts need painting again it’s practically impossible to match the colour unless you have a spectrometer.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
People metallic effect paints like the grey lower parts on a Hymer don’t fade, the problem of colour matching is complicated because folk in the supply chain won’t give us the paint codes we need to repair damaged areas. The issue is further complicated by the fact that many Hymer bumpers have previously been repaired by folk like me who have to use their experience and use a colour that is close to the original but not exact. When some years later the parts need painting again it’s practically impossible to match the colour unless you have a spectrometer.

Yeah, OK, my Hymer is 15 years old this year but has never had any bodywork repairs and there is considerable difference in the shades of grey of the skirt sections when they are inspected very carefully. The biggest difference is between the front and rear bumpers. The side skirts are different to both but looked at superficially, it looks just fine apart from peeling lacquer on the front bumper :(
Whether this is down to fading I`m not sure, I suspect it was supplied like that.
I don`t think people should get too hung up on looking for an exact match, when I have my front bumper painted, I`ll just ask the bodyshop to match as closely as possible.

OP
OP
Robert cardiff

Robert cardiff

Free Member
Oct 8, 2017
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
Hymer 640 starline
Exp
4months
Talk to a salesman at your local truck dealer. They will give you the names of good commercial painters that should be able to help and also good "signwriters" that should be able to help with the decals. Most companies that fit graphics to trucks have the ability to design almost anything and cut to size and shape. It will be less expensive than going to Hymer. If you are struggling for names and addresses let me know and I will get some for you next week.
thanks for the advice

OP
OP
Robert cardiff

Robert cardiff

Free Member
Oct 8, 2017
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
Hymer 640 starline
Exp
4months
cheers

Eiserfelder

Free Member
Mar 19, 2018
Funster No
Hello, I am new here. If the same problemwith my Hymer p. 650 had Bauj. 99. I haveordered a spray can with the RAL colour9007. If is, in principle, the colour, quitetiny difference, but by an older camperwhere is anew varnished, there is always asmall difference. Colour costs 9. 99€ withEbay

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Hello, I am new here. If the same problemwith my Hymer p. 650 had Bauj. 99. I haveordered a spray can with the RAL colour9007. If is, in principle, the colour, quitetiny difference, but by an older camperwhere is anew varnished, there is always asmall difference. Colour costs 9. 99€ withEbay

Hi and welcome
A link would be good so that others could look at what you ordered.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back