Twiggy

Banned
Aug 30, 2018
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Just starting out!
OK, new to this malarkey....want to be environmentally responsible as far as possible, but also practical.

Grey water

Does this get discharged into a tank, or do you need to put a receptacle in place to receive it?

Where is it appropriate to dispose of this waste?

Black water

OK, I get it that the heads empty into the cassette. Confused as to the whole chemical/no chemicals/laundry stuff????

SOG thingy? Pro’s/con’s?

Where can you legally/ethically bin the contents? If you are not on a site, is it appropriate to sling it down a (public) Kharzi?

And WTF does an Elson point look like?

Cheers,

Twiggy

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
giphy.gif

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Hello
Grey tank, all sites have an emptying point so drive to and get the pipe outlet over the years then pull the lever. Use a bucket to carry it to the drain to save you moving.
Toilet have a specific emptying point on site, off site, if using a sog then you can empty down a toilet as no chemical is required so a sog a good idea.
That's the short easy answer but threads like this does cause huge difference of opinions, a few sites say dispose of grey water in hedge bottom, others say it kills the plants.
Be responsible whatever you do.
By the way, do you like debating as it you do you have started a great thread.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
wasn't going to get drawn into this debate, it has been discussed at great length, all I would add to the previous reply is ,

I assume you haven't bought a camper van yet... so regarding grey, not all have a built in grey waste tank.. most do, but smaller camper vans may only have a pipe which you should place in a bucket or waste container.. in either case it should be disposed of in the facility provided by the site.. some have tanks.. smaller sites , like CLs will generally ask you to depose of in the hedgerow..

there is top advice in this article about Grey and Black waste disposal wild camping

Last edited:
Reactions: GJH
Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Some notes Here.
If you are not on a site, is it appropriate to sling it down a (public) Kharzi?
Unless it is specifically indicated that you can, no. In general public toilets are not designed for that use. Others will disagree but that is par for the course when they are making excuses for their behaviour even though they know they are not on solid ground.
And WTF does an Elson point look like?
Various different designs but on any site (including rallies) they will be well indicated.

Upvote 0

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Picture of an elsan point..

All much the same. emty black waste down for a better word a hole in the ground which takes your waste away..

They come in all shapes and sizes...

Grey waste, we ask people to empty on the established plants and bushes... contrary to what some say... it will not hurt the plants...

And through this summers draught it`s probably what stopped a lot of our plants dyeing..

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Well this seems to be going well so far so to add to your education, the "SOG thingy" is quite simply a fan that draws air through the toilet cassette when you open the flap to use it the air help to break down the solid is the cassette and has the added bonus of ventilating and unwanted odours to the outside, most but not all SOG's have a charcoal filter to neutralise the smell before it gets into the atmosphere and under your neighbours awning, if you want to stay friends with your neighbours this filter needs changing (I do every 6 to 12 months) if there is a rectangular SOG outlet on the cassette compartment door the filter is in this otherwise it is sometimes an inline filter.

Chemicals/laundry stuff? some people think the contents smell better if you add these things personally I think it still smells like a bucket of ---- whatever I put in so now I just put in No1's and No2"s, if you use the blue chemical you need to be careful if you empty into a septic tanks or treatment plant as the chemicals can kill the enzymes that do the treatment work.

Martin

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

Twiggy

Banned
Aug 30, 2018
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Just starting out!
Thanks Martin. Starting to get my head around the SOG bit - so does the inside end of it connect to the cassette?

Twigs

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks Martin. Starting to get my head around the SOG bit - so does the inside end of it connect to the cassette?

Twigs
yes..

On mine , a C200 , you remove the pressure relief valve and fit a pipe adapter, supplied with the SOG kit..

only recently fitted mine.. easy job.. the fiddly bit is fitting the micro-switch to start the fan when the blade opens.. the SOG instructions are good and easy to follow.

There are different kits for different models of cassette

IMG_3127.jpgIMG_3129.jpgIMG_3130.jpgIMG_3131.jpgIMG_3132.jpg

SOG kits and parts here .. this was the cheapest seller I could find.. https://leisurelines.net/index.asp?function=search

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back