Mar 6, 2010
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Auto-Roller 500
Exp
Since 2009 (after many years camping)
Greetings Good People,
Thought I'd better introduce us before I forget. It's a memory thing but I can't remember what it's called!
I'm Bill and, as it says on the left, "my family say I'm a crabbit, grumpy old git but I prefer irascible" - it's much more refined.
Link Removed
The Boss and I (sorry, forgot to stand to attention when mentioning her) bought our MH just over a year ago and just love it. It's a converted Iveco Daily welfare bus and we call him Ivan Harvie (his name only works properly when said with an English accent). I notice that a couple of Funsters have similar vehicles featuring on the Self-Build forum. Ivan was converted by a previous owner but, if we'd done it ourselves, we probably couldn't have come up with a better layout and would have been nowhere near with the quality of finish & fittings.
Anyway, back to the intros, my background is in mechanical engineering but I’m now employed to provide AV & IT support in local schools. The Boss is a retired teacher and we have two sons. One had the decency to leave home years ago and lives outwith the UK, the other is at home and working towards Honours Degrees in advanced laundry collection and draining parental resources. Keeping us in order and trying in vain to increase my physical exercise is Sam, our 5 year old Border Collie. We live in SW Scotland overlooking the Firth of Clyde.
Link Removed
Normal crew compliment when Ivan is on the road (in ascending order of seniority / importance) is me - chauffeur and general slave; the Boss - Obergruppenführer & personal supervisor (remembered to stand that time but forgot to click heels) and Sam - Crazy Collie and the real ruler (but please don't tell the Boss that, she thinks she’s in charge!)
Not journeyed any great distance yet but getting more adventurous. We always try to wave to passing MHs - sad how few respond. Ivan is probably unique and is very distinctive in appearance. If you pass us on the road please give us a wave; if you see us on a site etc., come and introduce yourself we'd love to meet you.
If you've come across Ivan before or know anything about his past, we'd love to hear about that also. Can I post details on the Self-Build forum even if A. N. Other did the conversion? Don't want to get a telling off!
Anyway, I've really enjoyed my journeys around this site so far and note with some alarm that several of you have a similar wacky sense of humour to mine. I look forward to a long and happy fellowship with all of you.

Warmest greetings,
Bill

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Welcome Bill & Family to the Forum ::bigsmile: I am sure you will fit right in as there are options to be both Fun and grumpy on this site :winky:
flyingwelcome

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Hello Bill, was going to greet you earlier but forgot :ROFLMAO: I also have an uncontrollable loss of grey matter :Eeek: BUT WELCOME :thumb::thumb:

Larry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

trevosky

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Street, Somerset
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
on and off 16 years plus
Good evening and welcome Bill and crew from a slowly improving weather wise Spain lots of helpfull people on here so keep in touch
Trev Sue and Tichie (abanded spanish patio rat but we love him) :thumb:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Welcome Bill ("Stand to attention when you're spoken to") and hope you get a lot of Fun from the forum.

Have to admit we are getting 'Scotland withdrawal symptoms' - haven't been there since last May - and looking forward to a week soon. Cannot decide whether to go to the West Highlands (our first love) or Galloway (never been further west than Dumfries).

Will wave if we see you, but perhaps the lack of waves is due to people not realising you are a motorhome. They might recognise the profile as a the local community bus - or have you got an outrageous colour scheme?

Philip

OP
OP
IrasciBill

IrasciBill

Free Member
Mar 6, 2010
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Auto-Roller 500
Exp
Many thanks

Welcome Bill ("Stand to attention when you're spoken to") and hope you get a lot of Fun from the forum.

Have to admit we are getting 'Scotland withdrawal symptoms' - haven't been there since last May - and looking forward to a week soon. Cannot decide whether to go to the West Highlands (our first love) or Galloway (never been further west than Dumfries).

Will wave if we see you, but perhaps the lack of waves is due to people not realising you are a motorhome. They might recognise the profile as a the local community bus - or have you got an outrageous colour scheme?

Philip
Sorry Sir, Didn't realise Her spy was online Sir! Standing to attention now Sir.

As regards Galloway, you are missing out on a fantastic area IMO. The corner of Scotland to the west of Dumfries and south of Ayr is one of my favourites. It's not as much "in your face" stunning scenery as some parts of the West Highlands - tends to be much more subtle - but equally rewarding. Have walked over much of the wild areas and driven over most of the roads; sadly, or perhaps thankfully, many of these roads are not suitable for the larger MHs. This area has much to offer the photographer and ornithologist; give it a try sometime.

I suppose you've got a point about the waves. Ivan doesn't really look like a MH from head on. That's one of the things which attracted me to him in the first place.

If you come to Galloway please don't forget to say I recommeded it to you - otherwise I won't get any commission from the Tourist Board.

Regards
Bill

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
Hi and welcome to the fun and it's sunny in central Scotland at the moment.Happy travels.:thumb::welcomefunster:

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
Hi and Welcome

Havent been to Scotland since last August, visiting my aunt and cousins who live in Dunoon overlooking Holy Loch, where I also scattered my mums ashes.

Dale

Last edited:

Disasterix

Free Member
Mar 9, 2010
Oswestry
Funster No
MH
Low profile coa
Exp
First converted van in 1967 but a big gap in the middle.
Hi,
I thought it would be good manners to introduce myself.
There's fairly ancient me and far from ancient Maree and the youthful Mooveo van.
We all live in beautiful north Shropshire near the Welsh border and spend as much time as we can in the van, locally, in Scotland and in France.
Look forward to foruming with you.
Andy. Aka, Disasterix.

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
welcome bill
does your better half has a clone living in surrey ??? //

OP
OP
IrasciBill

IrasciBill

Free Member
Mar 6, 2010
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Auto-Roller 500
Exp
Clones !!!!!

welcome bill
does your better half has a clone living in surrey ??? //

Ee-gad, I thought I only had to worry about them breeding.
Thanks for cheering me up!.

Maybe one of the Yorkshire Funsters can tell us if there's a Wally Batty sympathy club.

Many thanks
Bill. (Can I stop standing to attention now? My back's getting sore!) :Angry:

sue1959

Free Member
Feb 11, 2010
Ireland
Funster No
Exp
non as yet, hired in Canada a couple of times. hope to buy in the next few years.
Welcome Bill. Went to Galloway area c30yrs ago (jeez I'm getting old) camping lovely area
Wild camped in a couple of picnic spots!

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Hi Bill. Welcome to you and the Great One. Did you know that irascibull lives in my house. Could you be related? He is from the Black Isle, my mother was from Rothesay/Paisley so nothing is impossible.

Ivy

OP
OP
IrasciBill

IrasciBill

Free Member
Mar 6, 2010
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Auto-Roller 500
Exp
Not that old!

Welcome Bill. Went to Galloway area c30yrs ago (jeez I'm getting old) camping lovely area
Wild camped in a couple of picnic spots!

Hi Sue,
Many thanks for your kind welcome. Afraid I can beat your 20 years by quite a few. I was lightweight camping in Galloway nearly 20 years before that - and I still love the area. Don't do sleeping on the ground anymore - it's too far down and even further back up again - but our first two outings in the MH were to Galloway.

Anyway, how could you camp in Galloway 30 years ago when you're only 22 now? (Aren't all young ladies only 22 - for ever?)

Regards
Bill :Smile:

OP
OP
IrasciBill

IrasciBill

Free Member
Mar 6, 2010
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Auto-Roller 500
Exp
Eek

Hi Bill. Welcome to you and the Great One. Did you know that irascibull lives in my house. Could you be related? He is from the Black Isle, my mother was from Rothesay/Paisley so nothing is impossible.

Ivy

OMG have I been cloned as well?
My mother lived in Paisley for a time and we used to holiday in Rothesay for many years - so maybe there is a possibility!

Nice hearing from you,
Bill :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back