Greetings from the Caribbean!!! (1 Viewer)

Altrac

Free Member
Mar 26, 2008
Wherever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Hi everyone out there,

Currently retired (very early...) to the Caribbean, and after too many lazy dayz, and rum, we have decided to return to Europe - and start MOTORHOMING FULL TIME !!!

Lots to see and lots to do and lots of time......most excellent. Love the site and the banter - had to get involved a little.

Can anyone inform me, or direct me accordingly please on this question????:help:

If we buy a Hymer in Germany, can we register, tax and insure etc..etc... without being a German resident, and use our UK address for c/o correspondance ??

We intend to buy a LHD, and dont intend to return to the UK - only Europe, and we will not be spending more than 6 months in any one country - hence no need to register the vehicle in that country.

Thanks a lot guys 'n gals, and look forward to the greatly appreciated advice -

Cheers, and time for another rum now.....:beer:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
From what I have read elsewhere, if you want to tax and insure in the UK, you will get involved in bringing it back to the UK with a load of paperwork (including paying UK VAT and then having to claim back the German VAT, new RV)

Would have thought you would be better of taxing, registering (if its a used RV it already will be) and insuring it there using a proxy address.

I could be wrong but no doubt others may have more knowledge.

I would stay in the SUNSHINE!:thumb:

OP
OP
Altrac

Altrac

Free Member
Mar 26, 2008
Wherever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Thanks!

When you say use a 'proxy address' - did you mean to use a German PO address for correspondance?

It will be a used m/h - and really do not want to get involved in registering this in the UK whatsoever. I know if we bought one in Spain, we can simply acquire a NIE Certificate, and then 'no worries'......... however in Spain now, the insurance companies will only cover for 3rd party. Mmm, not what we want. Need fully comp.

So, thanks again for your info, and any further would be a help. Cheers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Beachbum

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Hamburg / Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
40 Years
Hi Altrac, I can only advice you on Germany. You can only register a Vehicle in Germany, if you are registered as a resident and obtain an "Aufenthaltserlaubnis"
An address will be required to show you have registered with the Police. This is done by going to the "Standesamt ", (local Council) So the answer is No. One way around it, if you know somebody who lives in Germany, he/she can register it in his/her name. You will then be classified as the second driver on the Insurance Policy. Bad news, by German Law, he/she is the rightful owner of the vehicle. So you need to trust somebody 100 percent to take that route. I personally would not do it.

dash

Free Member
Sep 8, 2007
Fulltiming in EU/Morroco
Funster No
MH
RV/A class
Exp
7 years
Hello and welcome Altrac, I enjoyed my time in the Carribean (6 months) some 30years ago. Now Full-timing around europe,its a great life. come on in.....

OP
OP
Altrac

Altrac

Free Member
Mar 26, 2008
Wherever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Hi Altrac, I can only advice you on Germany. You can only register a Vehicle in Germany, if you are registered as a resident and obtain an "Aufenthaltserlaubnis"
An address will be required to show you have registered with the Police. This is done by going to the "Standesamt ", (local Council) So the answer is No. One way around it, if you know somebody who lives in Germany, he/she can register it in his/her name. You will then be classified as the second driver on the Insurance Policy. Bad news, by German Law, he/she is the rightful owner of the vehicle. So you need to trust somebody 100 percent to take that route. I personally would not do it.

Thanks Beachbum - useful advice and although probably not what I wanted to hear, I appreciate the feedback!!

Hey, where were you in Cornwall - I spent many of my mis-spent youth in St. Ives and Newquay......had a wonderful decade or so, before moving 'up-country' to Plymouth and then Exeter !!!

From your experience - where would you buy a motorhome, considering our personal circumstances then? Later BB. :thumb:

OP
OP
Altrac

Altrac

Free Member
Mar 26, 2008
Wherever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Cheers Dave !

Hello and welcome Altrac, I enjoyed my time in the Carribean (6 months) some 30years ago. Now Full-timing around europe,its a great life. come on in.....

Nice one Dave!!

Cannot wait to get started and let the good times roll..... Same question for you, as to Beachbum really mate - from your experience where would be the best place to purchase an RV. After a few years in the Caribbean with virtually 'no rules' whatsoever, it will be a bit of a transition to be a 'law-abiding' citizen once more !!
Rules, rules, rules........ what's it all about???????

I guess from what I have learned so far, Spain is looking like the simplest country to achieve our goal. Anybody - any suggestions please??????:Cool:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi I think the situation in Spain is similar to Germany, you have to be a resident. My cousin lives out there and I am sure that's what he told me.

I think their was a post on one of the forums about trying to register a foreign vehicle in Spain and if I remember they said it was a nightmare.

Olley

Beachbum

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Hamburg / Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
40 Years
Hi Altrac, we hail from Porthtowan, between Perranporth and Porttreath, a cove called Porthtowan. I would suggest buying your MH from Germany, look through the threads and you will find a lot of advice on this subject. If you cannot find them, drop another post and I will be only to glad to point you in the right direction. David

OP
OP
Altrac

Altrac

Free Member
Mar 26, 2008
Wherever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Cheers !!!

Hi I think the situation in Spain is similar to Germany, you have to be a resident. My cousin lives out there and I am sure that's what he told me.

I think their was a post on one of the forums about trying to register a foreign vehicle in Spain and if I remember they said it was a nightmare.

Olley

Thanks Olley.

I did speak to Expat Insurance in Spain (who were very helpful...) and the guy there told me that another problem with Spain at the mo, is that they will only insure 3rd party now....Eeeeekkkkk!! Aparantly too many claims, in previous years, has forced this situation. We didn't want to do this, and would require fully comp.

The mystery deepens huh??? Keep me posted if you learn any more please??:Cool:

RuthRv

Free Member
Jan 4, 2008
Funster No
welcome altrac, hope you can get use to the weather as well as the rules:Eeek:
hope you get yourselves a great mh:thumb:
ruth

OP
OP
Altrac

Altrac

Free Member
Mar 26, 2008
Wherever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Ta Ruth !!!

welcome altrac, hope you can get use to the weather as well as the rules:Eeek:
hope you get yourselves a great mh:thumb:
ruth

Nice words........thanks !!! Thought the EU Directive gave us all equal rights throughout Europe now ???

Obviously not in the tax/insurance/registering a motorohome - world huh??:cry:

Think I will send a letter to the Court of European Rights - or even the Prime Minister himself - Who the hell is that just now???????:Blush:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back