Greetings from northern Sweden (1 Viewer)

Max

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Northern Sweden
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2000
Hi Globetrotters! My wife and me are retired and since 2000 travelling around in Europe in our motor home. Before that we were sailing in Sweden on own keel and on rented boats in the Mediterranean. After selling our boat in spring 2000 we went to Germany to buy a motor home, which we had found on the Internet.
We had found a C class Karmann on VW LT 31 chassi. We were excited and enjoyed our new life but already after one year we realised that this model was not what we really wanted.
We had been thinking boat when we choose model. Round sitting group in the stern and beds over the wheelhouse. We sold this car (with good profit) and went down to Germany again and bought a C class Detleffs on Mercedes Sprint chassi model 1999. This car had a nice double bed over a big garage in which we even could bring along a motorbike. We were so pleased with this car so we kept it for almost ten years and drove more than 130 000 kilometres with it.
In October 2011 we visited one of the camping dealers in our town and fell for a very nice
A class Pilote Galaxy Explorateur with Mercedes chassi, modelyear 2006. We came to an understanding with the manager over money in between and on equipment and service. This was so late on the season so we decided to keep it unregistered during winter and just wait for spring before we start using it. This has so far been the longest winter of our life!!
Why wait? We have now more than 60 cm snow and temperature 10 – 15 C below 0!

Attachments

• Vinterdvala.JPG
    Vinterdvala.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 55
Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Max

Welcome to Fun. :flyingwelcome:

Where in Sweden are you from. We have been visiting Sweden for over 20 years as my Husbands best friend lives in Uttran (Near Stockholm). He also used to have a place in Arjaplog so have seen a lot of the Country over the years.

Sonja

Jul 24, 2010
Planet Earth (I think)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
not long enough
WOW! I am soooo jealous. You have REAL SNOW! I so miss real snow. :Sad:

Sweden is certainly a place to add to my (ever growing) 'must visit' list.

Best wishes and welcome

Lorraine x

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Welcome,I was in Sweden last year at the World Scout Jamboree,when that finished my wife and I toured for a few weeks in the motorhome only got as far as Sunborn.
Sweden has a very relaxed attitude to motorhomes(allermans ratten Link Removed ) and the picnic locations on main roads have all night CLEAN toilets and Chemical toilet disposal and fresh water points.
Yes it can be expensive but I found the supermarket prices to be on a par with the UK.
Interestinglly diesel is cheaper than petrol,only a few pence.

OP
OP
Max

Max

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Northern Sweden
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2000
Thanks for Your warm welcome!
We live in a town called Umeå, on the east coast some 670 km north of Stockholm. The only disadvantage with this location is that we have to drive more than 1200 km just to get out of the country on our way out into Europe. We have real winter every Year and we like skiing.
We can put on skis on the frontyard and go out on the fields or into the forest. We usually make a tour of about one hour very day.
In April and May we do a month long trip southwards with our motorhome "to meet the spring", then we stay at home during June and July when it is at its best up here. In the beginning of August we leave for a longer trip, at least two months. This spring we will go down to Poland to visit among others the crusader castle Malbork.
On our autumn trip this year we will go back to France. We have visited Normandy many times before but we just love thir region. Earlier we have always taken a short cut through Brittany on our way southwards but now we are going to spend some time to explore even thids area bfore we go down to the river Loire and all the wonderful castles in its valley.

A small travesty:
Vehere necesse est!
(To travel is necessary)

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello Max and welcomet to Motorhome Fun :welcomefunster:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the forum, our overseas members just keep increasing so the forum is really becoming an international one with members in the UK, Eire, France, The Netherlands, Denmark, Spain, Portugal, Turkey and czech republic, Australia and the USA. The time will pass and snow clear allowing to to become mobile once again. If you have any plans to visit the UK do let us know.

OP
OP
Max

Max

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Northern Sweden
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2000
From another Wildman

Thanks for kind invitation!
I have to coment on Your avatar. Did You know that we have in the northern parts of both Finland and Sweden areas with a Wildman as heraldic symbol? In both countries these areas are called Lappland.
Even thogh we live in the area of Vesterbotten (West of Bothnia)
our regiment got the Wildman as heraldic symbol as early as in the 17th century. I have served as army officer for almost 40 years in this regiment, carrying the Wildman on my sholderstraps.

The Wildman can be seen as symbol even in other countries. In Germany we have seen on many places hotells and restaurants called Der Wilde Mann etc, always carrying the club. I would not be surprised if already the Kelts had this as some kind of symbol.

A Wildman on a camel has been seen, but not up here. I served with UN in the Middle East, Lebanon -89-90, Jordan-92-93 and Israel -94.

I have been trying to submit a picture of our Wildman but can not get it down to the very small size required below. If You are interested please give me Your e-mail adress so I can mail it to You.

//Max

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
:welcomefunster:

From Rob & Jane:thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Max , we like snow for a day or two but prefer it to be warm. So we headed south like many other motor homers and we are presently near Marbella in Spain and getting a tan :Cool::Cool:
Welcome to fun :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back