Greetings from North Wales (1 Viewer)

Joe White

Free Member
Feb 15, 2018
Cheshire and North Wales
Funster No
Hello all,

Motorhome newbie here and - therefore - new to the site. Greetings from what is currently a very windy North Wales and thanks very much indeed in advance for any advice offered.

Just finished a short three day MH hire which we (my wife and I) loved. We have put down a deposit on a new Elddis which we are looking forward to picking up at the end of April / start of May.

We had a towing caravan for few years and I also drove a school mini bus for a good while. I was pretty nervous at first with the hire MH but soon seemed to get more comfortable and relaxed with the driving.

I guess the one piece of advice folks might be able to help me with is about how you plan to visit a town / city and where you will park the MH up. We used a Park and Ride and a layby for the two places we visited - just don't know if that's always straightforward.

Also - how do you avoid getting "penned in" when you park up in a regular car park eg Tesco? It did occur to me when we got back to the Park and Ride that if others had parked next to us - we might have been a bit stuck (ie have to drive straight out before turning - not enough space to manage that manoeuvre.)

Cheers for now!

Joe

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Joe, and welcome to fun. How long is your new MH our current one is 6.4M and we manage fine, if you can get a car park with a grass verge you can normally reverse into the space with your overhang over the grass. If you do get penned which has never happened to us in 11 years if it does just stick the kettle on until their back.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Hi Joe White,welcome to the Funsters forum.
I haven’t had the problem.........yet. I guess you just pick your space more carefully than with a car. As lorger suggests and on the end of a row may be good.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Happy Jim

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 13, 2017
Devon
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9095DF
Exp
Since June 2017
You do have to think a little defensivly when you park, ie...what's my escape route when this place is full etc

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Hello and welcome to the Fun!

I've only once misjudged my escape route and, as previously said, I put my feet up until the car in the next space moved. :)

Park in a space in front of the junction on a car park and you'll be fine - oh, and look out for those pesky height barriers

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Welcome to FUN and if possible I always try to reverse into a space and as others have said an end spot is favourite:D2 we are fortunate at only being 6 metres and not as wide as some.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.