Greetings from Germany (1 Viewer)

Schelli

Free Member
Sep 27, 2021
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
Hi,

my name is Jürgen Schellberg and I live in Germany, not far from Cologne. My motorhome is a 2016 Westfalia Columbus, 5.99 m, 148 HP, 3.5 t) with solar panel and other extras. I'm planning to visit England and Scottland next summer, where I have been quite often, but never with my motorhome.

I've three questions:
  1. I'm readings posts in German discussion boards about free camping and I find quite contrasting opinions about what is allowed and what not. It seems not to be possible to summarize the rules in one clear statement - is it?
  2. Are there any other peculiar rules (except environmental zones in London) that I should know in order not to collect too many traffic tickets?
  3. On my tour I want to spend a day in London. Parking spaces for motor homes seem to be very rare, crowded or noisy. Can anyone recommend a good space, even if it is a bit outside the city, maybe along the railway line.
Many thanks and

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi and welcome Jurgen (y)

you are correct free camping in the UK is not simple or easy to understand. it will be different all over the UK.

sorry i cannot help with London, but others may be able to give some advice.

good luck

Mar 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Since 2014
Hi Jurgen.
Having been to Europe a lot and used the eires system it is a shock to find how little they want us here. The feeling is you should use camp sites. and lots of parks do not allow motor homes. The councils are slowly waking up to our needs. It is a great country with beautiful places and I hope you really enjoy it. Me I,m looking forward to Europe where we are welcome.

Jul 24, 2015
Ramsgate Kent
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato c class
Exp
5 years
Hey! And welcome

Sorry can't help with London..as said it's not as easy to wild camp over here....stealth camp is ok if you don't mind the locations.. just park up and pull the curtains.

Nice van by the way 👍🏽

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Hi,

my name is Jürgen Schellberg and I live in Germany, not far from Cologne. My motorhome is a 2016 Westfalia Columbus, 5.99 m, 148 HP, 3.5 t) with solar panel and other extras. I'm planning to visit England and Scottland next summer, where I have been quite often, but never with my motorhome.

I've three questions:
  1. I'm readings posts in German discussion boards about free camping and I find quite contrasting opinions about what is allowed and what not. It seems not to be possible to summarize the rules in one clear statement - is it?
  2. Are there any other peculiar rules (except environmental zones in London) that I should know in order not to collect too many traffic tickets?
  3. On my tour I want to spend a day in London. Parking spaces for motor homes seem to be very rare, crowded or noisy. Can anyone recommend a good space, even if it is a bit outside the city, maybe along the railway line.
Many thanks and
Welcome to the Forum, Jurgen!

I cannot offer help with London, but Scotland has plenty of wild camping venues in some beautiful scenery, often with birdlife and wildlife within viewing distance from your motorhome, or within a short walk. So bring binoculars, cameras, waterproof clothing, sun cream, mosquito repellent and prepare to enjoy the Scottish Camping Code and hospitality!

I don't know when you plan to visit Scotland but there are Rallies organised during the Summer. irnbru has just announced 3 Rallies that are well attended, not expensive, are really friendly and where tea, coffee, bacon rolls [and the occasional alcoholic beverage] are consumed. I have tagged this reply for Sandra [aka irnbru] to see and she will be able to answer any questions you might have.

We are new to motorhoming and enjoy nature, so we have visited Tentsmuir Forest at Tayside [The Beeches £5 per night but no electricity so solar panel and gas needed!], Gourdon Harbour Aberdeenshire [car park next to a pub and 75m from a great Fish & Chip Restaurant] with views over the harbour where you can watch Herons fishing, and also cycle on 3 national cycle routes to the coastal villages. There are no toilet or chemical toilet facilities or water, so it is best for just 1 night and then visit a formal site to refill water and empty waste.

We have also visited Burn O Vat National Nature Reserve, about 30km west of Banchory in Aberdeenshire. It is free to use for 1 night in the season and has fresh water, chemical toilet disposal, toilets with 24 hour access and hot and cold water too! It is perfect for a 5.99m motorhome, though you will rub the walls [gently!] of your tyres on the old railway sleepers that mark out the parking spaces, because you have perhaps 1mm clearance each side. I can send photos if you wish. There are walks up to the head of the waterfall, into the grotto, and also around the loch and the area is so very peaceful!. It is also a good site to move to after visiting Gourdon Harbour for water refilling and chemical toilet emptying!

Whatever you choose to do, enjoy Scotland, its scenery and its people, especially the very hospitable motorhomers!

Steve & Elaine

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi and welcome, we live in the Southwest of Scotland so feel free to ask any questions. It’s certainly a lot easier to wildcamp in Scotland and if you’re sensible you’ll be fine.

I would recommend joining one of the clubs for their 5 van network, we’re members of the Caravan and Motorhome club. It will cost around £60 but you could get this back with discounts on ferry crossing, membership gives you access to their main sites plus their CL (certified location) network, these can range from a basic farmer’s field for £5 per night to a site with full facilities for up to £20. These sites are limited to 5 vans per night and can be found all over U.K., the CAMC also have a site near London you could use for a night.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Greetings peeps welcome from Bexley

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
As a motorhomer who lives near to London, I would never, ever consider taking it inside the M25 (the London Orbital) for fear of getting huge fines for their environment zone. It is a minefield for us to understand.
I would seek a train line in and ensure i had a ticket that covered all the tubes and trains (I assume this is still possible) as I havent been to London in 25 years and work 8 minutes from the Orbital.
good advice from lorger reference finding and joining one of the cheap 5 person sites.
You will find UK is not very motorhome friendly at all in comparison to France and Germany
Best of luck

Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
Newbie. Motor home experience began on 1/8/2020.
Hi Jurgen.

Wilkommen.

Some of my family live in and around Cologne. 'Motorhoming' is easier where you are but I am sure you will get all the help you need from those in the know here.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
:welco:
We did a bit of the UK this year mainly Motorhome Fun rallies, just find it to much hassle in the UK. We just crossed the France today nice to be back across the water.
The UK has some great places to visit but parking can be a pain in a Motorhome.
Parking is a pain in anything in UK, Its really puts me off UK - so much easier in almost any other country.

Our council are now putting parking tickets on motorcycles, charging for disabled spaces, charging until 8pm in some CPs and on Sundays.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Hi,

I've three questions:
Many thanks and
Hi Jurgen and welcome to this forum.

I would forget London, its not like your cities where you find a nice SP close to the city or next to a bus/train, they re not there. Its quite difficult in a car its just not worth it in a motorhome because the umwelt rules are terrible. On the M25 you re Ok but don't go inside, London Birmingham or Bath.

Free camping is quite difficult, as UK tries to push people towards caravan sites. We do have carparks , pubs and businesses that you can stay on but usually you would be expected to either buy a car park ticket or eat at the pub. A good first stop is Canterbury Park and Ride as its probably the nearest thing to a SP you will find and its close to the ports. The main guides for UK are search for sites and park 4 night, but these do not guarantee a stay so you need to decide for yourself.

You should be fairly OK on the traffic rules but there are some tolls where you have to pay online within 24 hours. The one you will almost certainly use is Dartford

Hope this helps

Jon

Aug 12, 2021
Nantwitch Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Flair
Exp
25years
Welcome Juergen we’ve been coming to Germany since 1974 we’ve had the best of times due to the people we’ve become friends with ,I hope you enjoy our country as we do yours .we haven’t got your Stellplatz system and the cost for overnight is far higher ,if we can help let us know all the best.

May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
Hi Juergen, welcome to 'Fun'.

As a visiter to the UK myself, I agree with the suggestion that you join one of the two M/home clubs. We use the Motorhome & Caravan Club mainly for its' Abbey Wood Campsite which is south east of London and on a direct rail link to either London Bridge or Charing Cross stations.

The last time we were at 'Abbey Wood' it was outside the Congestion Charge Area but with - in the Emmissions Zone, a 2016 VW should be OK to enter the Emissions Zone but you would need to check the website (Transport for London) to be sure, or contact Abbey Wood direct.

Hope the above helps.

Robert

Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
Willkommen von uns. Hoffentlich nachstest Jahr kommen wir in Deutshland. Erstenmals fur Wallenstein Sommer in Memmingen und als wir zuruckfahren hoffentlich besuchen uns in Koln

OP
OP
Schelli

Schelli

Free Member
Sep 27, 2021
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
Dear all,

• many thanks for so many friendly welcome posts (within one day !) and also for very helpful hints about travelling in England and Scotland. Great! To be honest, I didn't expect that.
  • I'll seek for the spots you mentioned on internet and will also inform myself about membership in a M/home club.
  • Some of you have travelled or will be travelling to Germany - if I can help with good parking spots ("Wohnmobil-Stellplatz") in Germany, please contact me directly. Communities are permanently building new ones, with excellent technical equipment, including soil sensors, digital booking and video control of license plate, payment via credit card and much more. At the other end, you may find a pasture close to a farmhouse without any service, mostly very cheap or even free. And if you can't find a "Stellplatz" for a night, just stop somewhere along the road at a quiet place where parking is generally allowed - but without any signs of camping. All in all, it seems that the situation is a bit different here. But, during high season, most comfortable spots are fully booked especially near touristic hotspots, along the coastline, around bigger cities and in the alps. This is also because the number of mobile homes has increased so much since 2020, with lots of newcomers who - by the way - often don't know the rules. During the low season, you can be quite relaxed.
  • I'm spending my holidays in tents and campervans since I was 1 year old - the world has changed very much during the last 70 years, but camping still is great fun.
Again, many thanks for your replies and ... enjoy travelling.

Jürgen

davidroxburgh

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 16, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Juergen

We live by the sea in Hove (by Brighton) and we have a Westfalia Columbus 641e - 6.363 meters. We bought it from Doerr in Saarland - St Wendel!

I agree that you should join the Caravan and Motorhome Club and perhaps the Camping and Caravanning Club so you could use their small 5 van sites. We keep our camper at Littlehampton and can recommend a good small site at a pub by the river Arun at a place called Ford.

If you would like more information or to meet when you come over send me a message (Private Conversation).

As I am sure you know, credit cards are used here much more than cash, and with Covid that trend has accelerated. You may want also to investigate joining the National Trust as membership gives you access to many beautiful places and gardens and often good parking as well. David (Shaw).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back