Greetings all! (1 Viewer)

rolandsaven

Free Member
Mar 19, 2018
Funster No
Hello everyone,

I've been reading and researching on the web all about self-building for about 1 year now and I've been trying to soak up all the information... tbh... it's a lot.

Anyway, I joined a couple days ago and there is even more valuable information here. I would like to thank everyone who contributed to this forum or any other and helped to build such an online community. Really, I would be nowhere without these resources... This is one of the main reason I would like to open a dedicated thread on this forum and post my thoughts and some pictures while building out the van. This is the only way I can give back to the community right now. Initially, I wanted to start in the "Blogs" section but it does not seem to be the place where I could write my thoughts, there are other sections I've looked but not sure about those either. So let me know where would be the best or I might just continue here.

I'm mainly an IT guy, developing websites (I'm capable of many other things though
default_laugh.png
). Originally from Hungary, but worked in London and Reading area (Berkshire) for a couple years. I realised that office is not my thing and fed up with the 9-to-5 anyway so I went freelancing. That is about enough...

I decided to buy a 2014 Extra Long Sprinter and build myself a motorhome. My gf and me would be living in this van for about 6 months or more (we might really like it) and travelling Europe back and forth. The plan was to buy a van in Germany (I wanted it to be left-hand drive to be easier in Europe) and register it.

So now I'm in the process of registering a left hand drive van (German) in the UK and reclassifying it to a motorhome when it's ready. I'll try to document that process as well in case anyone interested?

As of the status of the van now...

1. We have managed install two rooflights... the Dometic Midi Heki and the Maxxfan Deluxe.
  2. I bought some side windows from a bus company which looks like just the original but with openings and installed them.
  3. Installed an electric hook up.
  4. Installed an underslung water heater which is the new Whale Expanse Heater.
  5. Covered 30-40% of the van with butyl material to reduce vibrations. Used Reckhorn ABS..
  6. We also insulated most of it with closed cell elastomeric nitrile rubber foam (Armaflex, Kaiflex). I've got some leftover if anyone interested.
  7. The cladding and lining are in process currently. We are using extra-light poplar plywood, these will be either painted or covered with vinyl.
  8. Have a pair of Aguti seats and a belt anchor frame.
  9. Dual Fog Lights Installed
  10. Headlights have been changed
  11. Speedo re-programmed
And the following is left (many more):
  1. Underslung Gas-It Tank
  2. Gas System
  3. Plumbing (fresh and grey water)
  4. Webasto Diesel Heater
  5. Swivel Seats
  6. Fresh and Grey Water Tank
  7. Lino floor
  8. Most of the furnitures, kitchen, bed area, garage and bathroom.... etc. These will be made out of Poplar Plywood as well. This will be painted or carpeted.
  9. Electric System - I'm going to use Victron devices and building a small LifePo4 battery system from Winston Cells.
  10. Cruise Control -> anyone can help?
It's going slowly but we are confident!!
default_cool.png
Any help is appreciated!

Wish me luck and let me know where exactly should I post all the pictures and info!

Also, I will be posting everything on YouTube as well but I just need time as video editing is a brand new area to me.

Thanks,

Roland

Attachments

• IMG_4179.JPG
    IMG_4179.JPG
    243 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4817.JPG
    IMG_4817.JPG
    213.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_7600.JPG
    IMG_7600.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_7940.JPG
    IMG_7940.JPG
    221.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_9636.JPG
    IMG_9636.JPG
    234.2 KB · Views: 31
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
:welcomesign:
To the forum.
You only get 5 posts before having to pay to join. But by joining you’ll get to ask away.
We , we’ll should I say Ralph , just opened a thread on here . See the above link , to plot our self build journey. Every spare bit of time he had he was building Pug. He did think about doing a proper blog , but never got round to it.
Good luck.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Welcome on here as well :)

As @mitzimad said above, well worth joining diymotorhome.com as well (couldn't mention that on the other forum).

How you finding the MaxxFan? Just installed one myself and so far love it.

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Hi.gif
and a warm welcome from us. We shall be following the blog of your van conversion and your future adventures with great interest.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back