Green card (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Our motorhome is insured with Aviva through a broker/agent. Their advise was that in the event of a no deal, to call them 14 days before departure and they would post the relevant green card cover.

Pete

Aviva person said they can issue a Green Card by the following morning, just couldn't get round to posting it for up to 4 weeks

tony dellar

Free Member
Sep 12, 2017
Funster No
Green card really needs to run for as long as insurance , what if one wants to zoom off on a whim for a week or whatever at a moments notice ?
I seem to remember years ago if one was using a vehicle abroad you got a green card that ran as long as your insurance ?

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
You may need to ask your insurers how long each year you are allowed to be in the EU after a Brexit. On our work van it is 2 x 90 days as a maximum, we haven't had our MH insurance renewal through yet so can't speak for that.

All I can say is the current works van insurance allowed us 12 months in Europe without a Green Card, in a weeks time it's all change for us in anticipation? of Brexit.

Be interested to hear what your insurer says, but from my conversation with Aviva it felt like this is the new norm. Why would they go back to old practices?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Just occurred to me, this could be the reason for restricting Green Card insurance cover.

Please don't quote me on this but the 2 x 90 days may be in force to mirror the amount of time we and or our vehicles will be allowed by law to visit EU countries in the future, as will citizens from the EU be allowed to visit the UK. Just a thought.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
As a back-up you can at least drive legally but without comprehensive cover if you overstay your Green Card.
If you do just don't inadvertantly show the expired green card as they will assume no insurance & impound the vehicle.

Aviva are the insurers and not an agency, possibly better Green Card service from an insurance agent?
Always agents here who issue ,sign,date & stamp green cards. Walk in done on the spot if you don't get it yearly.

Please don't quote me on this but the 2 x 90 days may be in force to mirror the amount of time we and or our vehicles will be allowed by law to visit EU countries in the future, as will citizens from the EU be allowed to visit the UK. Just a thought.
Only allowed 89consecutive days now as EU without automatically becoming resident & making the vehicle illegal.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Green card really needs to run for as long as insurance , what if one wants to zoom off on a whim for a week or whatever at a moments notice ?
I seem to remember years ago if one was using a vehicle abroad you got a green card that ran as long as your insurance ?
I did

Mine expires in August

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
You may need to ask your insurers how long each year you are allowed to be in the EU after a Brexit. On our work van it is 2 x 90 days as a maximum, we haven't had our MH insurance renewal through yet so can't speak for that.

All I can say is the current works van insurance allowed us 12 months in Europe without a Green Card, in a weeks time it's all change for us in anticipation? of Brexit.

Be interested to hear what your insurer says, but from my conversation with Aviva it felt like this is the new norm. Why would they go back to old practices?
Safeguard 355 consecutive days in Europe.

Of course that might change on renewal which will be a bugger as I'll hopefully still be in Europe.

That said I think brexshit will be postponed lol

bfb

Free Member
Jun 25, 2012
Aldershot
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
why worry. Got my Green Card and IDP a couple of months ago. No need to worry now. Can't speak French so show and go!
(y)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Renewed my insurance with Comfort this morning Green card being posted today to run for full year, no charge.
Will pop to the post office in a minute to organise both IDPs if available I will get it in the neck from SWMBO if I overlook any potential paperwork that might be needed

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
ours from safeguard
is aligned to the policy renewal date which would be normal.

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Renewed my insurance with Comfort this morning Green card being posted today to run for full year, no charge.
Will pop to the post office in a minute to organise both IDPs if available I will get it in the neck from SWMBO if I overlook any potential paperwork that might be needed

That's good to hear, pleased for you.

Hope Safeguard are doing the same when they renew their MH policies from now on. Of course it doesn't change how long we and our vehicles are allowed in the EU if Brexit happens, but that is a different issue.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Well, I've stood in a long queue and have got both IDPs at a cost of £11 +£6 for the photos Probably won't need any of this. I believe the 90 day rule applies anyway it just isn't enforced

anniej

Free Member
Aug 23, 2010
Herne, Herne Bay, Kent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Exec
Exp
20 years
I have been on to Advance for a green card which they want to charge £30. Only going to France for 14 days. Had an almighty row with them stating other companies are no charge. Put the phone down on me. Rang back and said they would waive the fee. Won't renew with them again unless their green card is no charge.

Dec 31, 2016
Scotland and Chef Boutonne
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Stargazer
Exp
Since 2010
Sorry for slow reply.
Covers all - the list of countries it covers is clearly printed on green card

Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
As previously said it is 21 days till the next trip starts. So, rang Comfort on Monday , green card arrived Tue ,no charge. Am very happy with that for service.

Doozer

Free Member
Feb 24, 2019
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Spoke to Caravan and Motorhome club insurance today, another lot cashing in, they are charging £15 for the green card and they have offered to email it to me as I’m in Spain. They did stipulate it needed to be printed out in colour so that it’s green. I’m holding off until next week as I don’t start travelling until the 4th. Hopefully Westminster will have made a decision by then!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back