Green Card (1 Viewer)

Nov 14, 2009
Pagham Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Hymer exsis T688
Exp
Just renewed my motorhome policy with Comfort and asked about a green card for Morocco from January and got told that the law changed on October 10th and the green card charge with Comfort will be £23.00 a week yes A WEEK has anybody else heard this

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Don't like the sound of this! Any Morocco-bound Funsters got Green Cards, from Comfort or anyone else and what did you have to pay?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I don’t like paying more than I have to for anything but @tomag and @Lenny HB both have lovely and very expensive Hymer motorhomes. Surely a few quid for a green card won’t be the end of the world :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I don’t like paying more than I have to for anything but @tomag and @Lenny HB both have lovely and very expensive Hymer motorhomes. Surely a few quid for a green card won’t be the end of the world :)
Buying the van comes out of hard earned live savings, running it comes out of pensions.

They weren't expensive Tom bought his in Germany and I bought mine in Belgium only expensive if you pay UK prices, probably cheaper than a Watertrail.

Last edited:

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Still probably many tens of thousands though. I was just trying to put it in context : we all pay out a lot of money in buying and running our pride and joy and I don’t see the cost of a green card makes a big difference. Unless you go abroad for many months, in which case I’m sure the weekly cost would be a lot less. I wouldn’t know about that because I’m 62 and I have never been able to take a holiday longer than 12 days :( One day though . . . :)

Reactions: f6c

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
My point was although we can afford the van with a limited income of pensions we can't risk eating into our savings to fund general running and holiday costs. If each of us knew exactly how long we were going to live then you could budget and know how much you could draw from you savings each year but life ain't like that.

Only 12 days holiday at a time that is really hard I would never have liked that. When working we usually managed 21-22 days now we try to go away for 6-8 weeks.

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
If each of us knew exactly how long we were going to live then you could budget and know how much you could draw from you savings each year but life ain't like that.

Totally agree. That’s why I don’t do exercise or follow a healthy diet, otherwise I might still have some life left over when the money runs out :(

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
cant see as a law can change . you dont need a green card for europe . but outside there really isnt any law by eu. either companies will or wont cover you . might be company rules to charge but not a law.
mind once we are out of the eu we will need them and the bail bond for spain might come back again .
we might need carnet de passage as well to cover the import tax thing .
safeguard under written by cornhill used to be good . be interesting times ahead.
mind it used to be getr insurance at every border in europe , that used to be fun . borders said they were shut so start putting up your tent in the way through they soon sorted things for you. the good old days .
i,m sure i,m turning into my dad i can see him arguing with them even now . almost 60yrs later. it was fun travelling as a kid .

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Why not ring them again and ask again.
Bit like asking DVLA a question really....You never get the same answer twice.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The green card is just a bit of paper which says you have the minimum insurance cover for the country you are travelling through. It is in essence just a translation of the important bits from your insurance policy.
My guess is Comfort have stopped including Morocco in their policies but at a cost they will cover you.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Taken from MIB website:
Green Card
The Green Card is an international certificate of insurance providing visiting motorists the minimum compulsory insurance cover required by the law of the country visited. A green card is no longer compulsory for all countries in the Green Card System.

Responsibility for issuing Green Cards is given to national organisations (in the UK that is MIB). Many national organisations, including the MIB, delegate this responsibility to insurers by allowing them to print and issue their own cards in the interests of efficiency.

No charge is made for a Green Card. However, if cover is increased at the same time the Green Card is issued, an insurer is entitled to make a charge for the extension of cover. The provision of this additional cover is at the discretion of the individual insurer

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
I really can't understand the tight ar*ed insurers in the UK. In France you automatically get a permanent green card for all countries that touch the Med and the bit east of Italy which I can never remember the name which includes Bosnia. And it is actually green.
We had a problem in Morocco once with a UK white "green' card because it was not green.
I doubt it is a law either, just their mis interpretation of it so as to rip off punters.
Steve

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Outside the EU it is up to the insurer what they charge, you can always vote with your feet

OP
OP
tomag
Nov 14, 2009
Pagham Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Hymer exsis T688
Exp
hi Dazzlin was that comfort insurance who let you pay for a green card in August only they told me to apply nearer the time I was going

OP
OP
tomag
Nov 14, 2009
Pagham Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Hymer exsis T688
Exp
Phoned Comfort insurance again today and spoke to a nice women who said that Aviva changed the green card price on October 10th and the correct price is £22.40 a week plus £20.00 admin fee I said I think you will lose a lot of clients who go to Morocco and she replied we already have

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
cant see as a law can change . you dont need a green card for europe . but outside there really isnt any law by eu. either companies will or wont cover you . might be company rules to charge but not a law.
mind once we are out of the eu we will need them and the bail bond for spain might come back again .
we might need carnet de passage as well to cover the import tax thing .
safeguard under written by cornhill used to be good . be interesting times ahead.
mind it used to be getr insurance at every border in europe , that used to be fun . borders said they were shut so start putting up your tent in the way through they soon sorted things for you. the good old days .
i,m sure i,m turning into my dad i can see him arguing with them even now . almost 60yrs later. it was fun travelling as a kid .
I used to travel all thru Europe pre EU , never needed a carnet , and the ins was just a bit of green paper which said my insurance met requirements . Most borders were just a wave thru , even then the UK border was the most intrusive. I used the hovercraft a fair bit , and remember on one occasion driving in the gates and straight up the ramp and the doors shut and it was on the lift before i got off the car deck :)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Phoned Comfort insurance again today and spoke to a nice women who said that Aviva changed the green card price on October 10th and the correct price is £22.40 a week plus £20.00 admin fee I said I think you will lose a lot of clients who go to Morocco and she replied we already have

Was afraid that was going to be the explanation and I fully expect the rest of them to follow suit. It'll all be down to a perceived increase in risk.
That's going to add at least £200 to a trip to Morocco now.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
I used to travel all thru Europe pre EU , never needed a carnet , and the ins was just a bit of green paper which said my insurance met requirements . Most borders were just a wave thru , even then the UK border was the most intrusive. I used the hovercraft a fair bit , and remember on one occasion driving in the gates and straight up the ramp and the doors shut and it was on the lift before i got off the car deck :)
before we joined the eec my parents were buying insurance at the borders .
they certainly werent wave throughs in the early 60,s . insurance passports etc , took ages sometimes .
we may when we leave the eu need a carnet or we might have to pay border tax just like many other regions in the world . remember we might be leaving as enemies .
you possibly had the green card . it wasnt really card .
i have loads old ones here .
every country had a border . got alot better later on .

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
In the last 3 years I have had a green card for Albania, Bosnia, FROYM and 4 years ago for Maroc. They were all gratis. Maybe they has be a law passed that let's them charge not one that says they have to.

Dick

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I really can't understand the tight ar*ed insurers in the UK. In France you automatically get a permanent green card for all countries that touch the Med and the bit east of Italy which I can never remember the name which includes Bosnia. And it is actually green.
We had a problem in Morocco once with a UK white "green' card because it was not green.
I doubt it is a law either, just their mis interpretation of it so as to rip off punters.
Steve
Same here . & yes it has to be green. I am usually out of Spain when insurance renews & as they will not issue a green card until after renewal date they email it to me & I have A4 green paper on which I print it out.
In the last 3 years I have had a green card for Albania, Bosnia, FROYM and 4 years ago for Maroc. They were all gratis. Maybe they has be a law passed that let's them charge not one that says they have to.

Dick

The EU directive allows countries, if they so wish, to charge for the 'green card ' element . The UK companies abuse the right.
Here ,as @Old age travellers said, I get a 12 month one which includes Morocco along with Bosnia Hertzogovinia , Russia, in fact every country, 45, that is actually on the green , card the vehicle is covered in.
Just checked & the one for the car was the same.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
before we joined the eec my parents were buying insurance at the borders .
they certainly werent wave throughs in the early 60,s . insurance passports etc , took ages sometimes .
we may when we leave the eu need a carnet or we might have to pay border tax just like many other regions in the world . remember we might be leaving as enemies .
you possibly had the green card . it wasnt really card .
i have loads old ones here .
every country had a border . got alot better later on .
My first trip in 68 was in a lwb diesel landrover , and the only time from then on I was delayed , was if I was doing an urgent courier run under customs , a PITA , as it was courier (small) not always bothered with customs even back then . RE green card as I said I can remember a5 folded sheet of green paper .Dont think the carnet thing will happen , and with the way its going on continent the tax thing is pretty much there already eg what germany is trying to implement now , and It cost me nearly as much in tolls in Poland for about a week than it costs to tax my RV in UK for a year :( still see what happens :) know what you mean about enemies, but then when you are paying everyone is your friend

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
comfort used to charge around £20 that's why we went to Safeguard as it was free. it was also better on mileage and days out of the uk .
i haven't asked for a green card this year so maybe worth giving them a call .

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Well just my quote from AIB/Aviva
£258 for 90 days fella was very apologetic