Free Member
Mar 9, 2015
swansea
Funster No
MH
Pvc
Exp
since 2014
Hi all , hope you have had a nice weekend? Weather has been kind here in wales, the wife and I are curious have any of you motorhomed it to Greece if so where to and what route did you take to get you there as we both have enjoyed holidays at various Greek isles quite some years ago,but now enjoying our new found freedom in our camper we are debating whether to plan a trip there next year? Any advice /suggestions much appreciated. Thanks steve

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Do a search and you will find plenty of threads about getting to Greece. The main choice is overland or a ferry from Italy.

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
Enjoy a challenge and go through and enjoy Eastern Europe, it sounds scarier then it is

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Done it several times to Crete. Usually ferry from Italy to Igoumenitsa or Patras, then next ferry from Piraeus to Crete. Last time we drove through Abania thus avoiding the Italy/Patras ferry. Best ferry company is Anek/Superfast as you can stay overnight in your own van on the car deck but are able to use all the facilities on board. This is particularly great if you have a dog. Any specific questions ask away.
This blog might be of interest to you:
http://motoroaming.com/

OP
OP
stephen78

stephen78

Free Member
Mar 9, 2015
swansea
Funster No
MH
Pvc
Exp
since 2014
Done it several times to Crete. Usually ferry from Italy to Igoumenitsa or Patras, then next ferry from Piraeus to Crete. Last time we drove through Abania thus avoiding the Italy/Patras ferry. Best ferry company is Anek/Superfast as you can stay overnight in your own van on the car deck but are able to use all the facilities on board. This is particularly great if you have a dog. Any specific questions ask away.
This blog might be of interest to you:
http://motoroaming.com/
That's great thanks for the information will check it out

John&Kate

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
Greece is on our hit-list .. as soon as the kids don't want to ride with us anymore, you wont see us for the sparks out of the exhaust and the smell of burning rubber.

Have holiday'd in Greece from package deals in previous years and love the food and the people beaches etc. Look forward to experiencing Greece again from behind the wheel of our MH.

OP
OP
stephen78

stephen78

Free Member
Mar 9, 2015
swansea
Funster No
MH
Pvc
Exp
since 2014
We are planning for next year , and probably will be for a month hoping that will be enough time?

OP
OP
stephen78

stephen78

Free Member
Mar 9, 2015
swansea
Funster No
MH
Pvc
Exp
since 2014
Greece is on our hit-list .. as soon as the kids don't want to ride with us anymore, you wont see us for the sparks out of the exhaust and the smell of burning rubber.

Have holiday'd in Greece from package deals in previous years and love the food and the people beaches etc. Look forward to experiencing Greece again from behind the wheel of our MH.
Yes that's been our experience of Greece package holidays, we got married out there , like yourselves like the people and the food etc.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
I agree with the above, sure you can do pretty much anything in a month, but let me say this, we took a month just driving back from Greece up the Adriatic coast and that was not nearly enough time, we had a looksee at Albania, Montenegro, and what a revelation those countries were, Dubrovnik for a few days ( they were filming Game of Thrones whilst we were there) then ever North, we had planned to visit some of the Croatian islands and Mostar but we ran out of time. Istria was fantastic as was Austria and Southern Germany, but all of these places deserved more time, we thought a month was plenty of time, but now think three months or more would have been better, we shall do the trip again when I have retired. As for you with a month I would think a return ferry from Ancona would be the best option, three or four days each way then Twenty days in Greece, unless you like a lot of traveling.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
Advice, rules and regulations will thwart all sorts of plans if you allow them to. I went on a trip to Africa on my motorbike against Foreign Office advice and without insurance in some countries and had the holiday of a lifetime. Some may call me foolhardy but with a bit of planning and proceeding with caution I have been to some wonderful places others might not have.
Regarding non EU country travel like Albania we bought Third party insurance cover at the borders and drove carefully, my brother obtained cover from NFU but this was not recognised by border staff and had to buy additional third party cover before they allowed him to proceed. 16,000 Brits entered Albania in 2015 and we were very happy to be among that total.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Down to Italy, Ancona, catch "Anek lines" ferry to Igoumenitsa or Patras. 24 hrs on the ferry, about €300, electric hook-up on board, sleep in your own van.
That is the way we came BACK.. But we went down via Austria, Bosnia, Croatia, Montenegro (you have to pay €50 at the border, as they are NOT EU. ) Into Greece via Thessaloniki and then clockwise round the Peloponnese . We wild camped ALL the way along the coast, the people were FABULOUS !! The scenery FABULOUS !! We only saw 1 other van and they were Brits and now our friends....
We just went inland to visit all the interesting and ancient sites (DONT miss Mistras !! ).
It took us 3 months for the whole trip.
Enjoy.! ! ! !
Mitch.
PS. The ferry is a converted cruise ship and you have a pass key to access all of the ships facilities, bars cafe's etc. There are showers on your deck.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back