Greece to U.K. the long way round - advice please. (1 Viewer)

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
Hi all
We will be returning from Greece in early November and my driver wants to do the overland route as we have done the ferry to and from Italy several times.
I, however, am yet to be convinced.
As we would be wild camping as much as possible my main concern is security. Also the availability of fresh water and suitable places to empty the cassette.
Chuck into the mix COVID and currently it’s not looking particularly enticing, for me at least.
Your thoughts and experiences would be appreciated.

Jan 5, 2014
tetbury
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Expedition
Exp
Long time
Just do it!
We did just that, took 2 months September to begining of November via Bulgaria - walking Rila Mountains and Monasteries.
Crossed the Danube by ferry into Rumania - followed the Danube up to Hungary and Budapest.
Slovakia and Bratislava, then Czech Republic and Prague.
Then up to the Polish boarder corner with Germany and walking in the edge of the Tatra Mountains on the Czech side of the boarder.
Germany - Bautzen, Altendorf, Colditz, Hartz Mountains - walked a bit of the old East German boarder, Dutch boarder near Venlo (lived near here many years ago for 3 years!).
Home via Holland, Belgium, France Calais, Dover - Gloucestershire!
Could have spent a year doing it!
Only problems - speeding ticket in Germany, a 20km/hr trap! Got caught out in Bulgaria mountain carpark by a Serbian setup coning me out of a lot of money to very kindly help mend my non starting van which turned out to have been caused by them! Got most of the money back from my insurers!
Wild camped most of the time, except some of the cities. Met many really nice helpful people, fantastic round trip out to Greece via Italy and took 7 months!
A very long drive, which my wife said she would do again - she wasn't driving!! Not as far as our Morrocan trip though! Why would you just go and sit in France?!!!!!!

Jul 13, 2011
Stoney Stanton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2010
I've heard Northern borders in Greece are closed at moment, but that could change quickly. There have been Covid cases from Serbia, Montinegro and Albania

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Hi all
We will be returning from Greece in early November and my driver wants to do the overland route as we have done the ferry to and from Italy several times.
I, however, am yet to be convinced.
As we would be wild camping as much as possible my main concern is security. Also the availability of fresh water and suitable places to empty the cassette.
Chuck into the mix COVID and currently it’s not looking particularly enticing, for me at least.
Your thoughts and experiences would be appreciated.

I would suggest doing the ferry for this year and save the overland for another time.

I have not done any overland route from Greece, but have followed lots of threads and from what I read I would choose Jwells route - less hassle than Montenegro/Albania etc.

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back