Greece on the horizon. (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Just booked ferries to Greece for mid-June. Leave MH on Patmos island for half July, August, fly back and forth and return ferries in October, with a bit of touring of Peloponnese.

Ancona-Patras with Anek 'camping on board'

Piraeus-Patmos with Blue Star, day sailing out, night with cabin back.

Got 'old gits' discount plus 30% on the Blue Star because booking linked to Adriatic crossing. Total cost return is £840. If we had stayed in the apartment we rented before plus flights would have cost us more for 4 weeks but this way we get two holidays.

How does that compare with previous years? Come in Pjay and others, please.

Booked with Via Mare (Dale Meyer) in London - very easy and efficient to deal with, as many others have posted.

From Katowice to Ancona will need some careful planning because of Covid: current possibilities are via Germany (PCR test), cross Austria (non-M/way) or Slowakia(8hr transit, Austria(GO-box). Need to plan 1/2 night-stops. Will leave the detail till nearer the time when restrictions are clearer.

At least we will not have Tam's additional restriction of pets.

Why Patmos you ask? Because I have been going there with my boat for 25 years and know a lot of people there, plus regular visitors that I have known for years from all over Europe - our Club.

Bring it on!

Geoff

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Just booked ferries to Greece for mid-June. Leave MH on Patmos island for half July, August, fly back and forth and return ferries in October, with a bit of touring of Peloponnese.

Ancona-Patras with Anek 'camping on board'

Piraeus-Patmos with Blue Star, day sailing out, night with cabin back.

Got 'old gits' discount plus 30% on the Blue Star because booking linked to Adriatic crossing. Total cost return is £840. If we had stayed in the apartment we rented before plus flights would have cost us more for 4 weeks but this way we get two holidays.

How does that compare with previous years? Come in Pjay and others, please.

Booked with Via Mare (Dale Meyer) in London - very easy and efficient to deal with, as many others have posted.

From Katowice to Ancona will need some careful planning because of Covid: current possibilities are via Germany (PCR test), cross Austria (non-M/way) or Slowakia(8hr transit, Austria(GO-box). Need to plan 1/2 night-stops. Will leave the detail till nearer the time when restrictions are clearer.

At least we will not have Tam's additional restriction of pets.

Why Patmos you ask? Because I have been going there with my boat for 25 years and know a lot of people there, plus regular visitors that I have known for years from all over Europe - our Club.

Bring it on!

Geoff
It will be some time before I risk an airplane ..Probably when Covid is done and dusted.BUSBY.

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
Do the flying dolphins still operate between Patmos&Samos?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
N
Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Apparently not anymore

Sorry for late reply but we have had a couple of domestic disasters(Leaking boiler etc.)

The flying dolphins themselves are not operating but Dodekanisos Seaways are currently operating a catamaran, which should be able to operate in more adverse weather. See here

I used to use the small car ferry which ploughed all the Dodekanese Islands, originally from Rhodes right up to Patmos and on to Pythagorian on Samos. That was the 'Panormitis' back in the '70s, superceded by the 'Papadiamitis' then when the routing was cut to be only Kalymnos to Samos about 20 years ago they were replaced by the 'Nisos Kalymnos', which may well be the car fferry shown in their website but renamed - certainly looks like her.

I cannot believe I have been tramping some of those ferry routes for about 45 years. The 'Panormitis' was not a car ferry but would take the odd car by using its derricks to lift one on and off the foredeck.

These ferries are vital to the life of island in the chain like Agathonisi and Arki.

Of course I have also visited most of the islands in my own sailing boat until 4 years ago.

Hope this is useful and maybe interesting.

Geoff

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
Great info and great memories for you.
🍻

OP
OP
N
Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I booked our ferries with Via Mare in London last Thurs. 28/04 and was delighted tat the whole document package arrived here in Poland this morning, package included

Detailed invoice
Itinerary
Tickets for 4 ferries
Covid travel forms, some already filled-inwith our details.
Superfast brochure

This is my first experience using Via Mare but they have well lived up to their good reputation, which sails before them.

The contact is Dale Meyer at

Viamare Ltd.
Suite 108, Devonshire House
582 Honey Pot Lane
Stanmore, Middlesex,
HA7 1JS
TEL: +44 (0)20 8206 3420

FAX: +44 (0)20 8952 8082

Geoff

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Another vote for Viamare. I normally book all our ferries on-line myself but last year I was really struggling to get pet cabins and being able to apply my Anek frequent traveller discount. One phone call to Viamare and it was all done for me. (y) (y)

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
I remember leaving Patmos on the FD stood on the back waving to our friends and proposed to my now wife......Bloody hell 22 years ago.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back