Greece for Winter

Discussion in 'Greece Turkey' started by JackieP, Jul 4, 2017.

1. JackieP

JackieP Funster

Ratings:
    +2,013
    Having had my hopes dashed for Ibiza for winter I'm now thinking Greece. Driving down to Ancona and travelling back up through eastern Europe. All unchartered territory for me.

So, winter in Greece. Doable? Places to stay? Safe for a solo female?

I'm not bothered about facilities/attractions/restaurants, I have a simple life. Somewhere to buy good food, places to walk, places to do yoga and opportunities to meet up with lovely people are all I ask for.

I don't even want it to be roasting hot. I'm just happy so long as I see some blue skies occasionally (unlike the summer so far on the Island where I've currently got the fire on).

Any ideas, comments, encouragement?

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Love it Love it x 1
  2. b16dfs

b16dfs Funster

Ratings:
    +43
    Have a look at these blogs for inspiration.
    followourmotorhome
    motoroaming

Have fun.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +30,204
    A couple of years ago we did Greece in Sept/Oct, this was our trip. Greece is mostly mountainous and can be cold with snow over the winter. Need to research the climate for areas you are planning on visiting.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  4. The Dudess

The Dudess Funster

Ratings:
    +6,211
    We lived in Crete for several years and still visit for a few months each year. Our base is the most Southerly point in Europe and it can still snow in the winter, even at beach level. Jan/Feb are usually the worse months.

Check out this site and take a look at the historical weather data. It will give you a good idea of what to expect. Here is the data for January 2016.
    https://www.wunderground.com/histor...eqdb.zip=00000&reqdb.magic=35&reqdb.wmo=16756

5. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +12,580
    Hi @JackieP we are planning on a longish tour of Greece in 2018, thinking of getting there towards the end of March and maybe staying until the beginning of June. If the weather is consistently terrible we will drift over to Spain, if good we will travel back through Bulgaria, Romania, Hungry and Croatia.

Having said that, I haven't done any research or planning yet so it could all change!!

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Love it Love it x 1
  6. Big Bird

Big Bird

Ratings:
    +12
    Hi Armytwowheels, looks like you've nicked our trip! Planning on setting off mid March to Istanbul via Croatia, Bosnia, Montenegro, Albania etc and returning the same route as you in middle of June. Doing quite a bit of research and digging suitable stopovers out from campercontact, searchforsites & park4night plus all the rules for the different countries. Surely we'll bump into each other?! :-D

• Like it Like it x 1
  7. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +33,804
    Hi @Big Bird if you put a @ In front of @Armytwowheels will see it the @ brings it to the attention of who you are messaging :)

• Like it Like it x 2
  8. webby1

webby1 Funster

Ratings:
    +945
    Would definitely recommend the trip back through Eastern Europe....we did the main part of the Winter in Sicily and then Greece,Bulgaria,Romania,Slovakia,Hungary,Czech Republic,so happy to answer any specifics you may need. Felt like a great leap into the unknown but then so did France the first time we went.

Best to go now whilst so many things are covered by EU law.

In a few years I can imagine
    "you want to take your motorhome to Romania.........well you'll need to buy a green card for insurance, the new blue card for breakdown cover,the new yellow card for health protection...........and you want internet as well ?????"
    We don't get these deals at the moment because companies want to help motorhomers

• Like it Like it x 1
  9. Big Bird

Big Bird

Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks for that @Armytwowheels, it's my first day posting on here so need a bit of guidance. I've done a Google map for our trip which you might find interesting if you have a Google account. I could email it to you?

10. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +12,580
    You never know we could meet up. We are fantastic at having a plan and doing something completey different though, so who knows.

I do keep checking the ferry sites as they don't seem to be taking bookings for the spring yet.

11. pjay

pjay Funster

Ratings:
    +447
    Hi, if you mean the Italy Greece ferries, the main players, Anek/Superfast and Minoan don't usually release their prices for the following year until mid to late December.

Pete

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

Ratings:
    +9,433
    The climate of Greece is mediterranean with summers that are usually hot and dry, and the winters that can be quiet cold and wet. The upper part of Greece can be very cold during the winter and snow is not uncommon. However, for the south of Greece and the islands, the winters will be milder.

13. Busman

Busman Funster

Ratings:
    +3,818
    Another one who will be heading that way springtime. Previously only driven thru the Peloponnese so really looking forward to exploring the area.

• Like it Like it x 1
  14. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

Ratings:
    +9,433
    Looking forward to reading your posts Dave.

15. Glandwr

Glandwr Funster

Ratings:
    +7,427
    I over wintered in Greece for the last two years. Wonderful welcoming country full of treasures BUT as has been said all but the Peloponnese has pretty dire weather especially Jan Feb and even there the days you will go up in shorts are very limited and it is mountainous and snowy inland.

Thoughly recommend the country but don't expect Iberian weather.

Dick

• Like it Like it x 1
  16. Freespirit1

Freespirit1

Ratings:
    +1,053
    Ok - you guys are off to Greece - however the original op here @JackieP is actual making her way to Morocco now for the winter I believe :)

17. sedge

sedge Funster

Ratings:
    +5,633
    Mmm - I know Plakias in S Crete (more or less opposite Heraklion) has snow some winters - and it suddenly turns VERY rainy in mid/late October, but then it is a very rugged mountainous isle, facing a vast expanse of open sea - so I wouldn't expect very much else really!

18. Busman

Busman Funster

Ratings:
    +3,818
    Wildcamped on Plakias for about 6 weeks many years ago when it was just a little village and a taverna down the other end. Was a lovely spot then :)

19. abforfun

abforfun Funster

Ratings:
    +682
    We’re heading to Greece in the spring hoping early to mid April

• Like it Like it x 1
  20. Tykatem

Tykatem Funster

Ratings:
    +6,627
    2018 Early Booking !
    Minoan Lines & Anek / Superfast Ferries Italy - GreeceItaly - Greece

20% discount on all passenger and vehicle fares!
    Valid for all your ferry trips from 01.01.18 – 31.12.18 as long as your booking is finalized by 28.02.18 !
    Anek / Superfast Ferries Italy - Greece

When booked through Greekferries Club!
    Schedules and prices for 2018 are available on their website...
    http://greekferries.gr/

Pete

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1