Greece for Easter and St George's Day. (1 Viewer)

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Is anyone off to Greece in April in time for Greek Orthodox Easter? St Georges Day celebrations will be delayed until Easter Monday because April 23rd falls before Easter, so it should be a good weekend for festivals and processions, I am hoping.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We'll be there in Crete. Got ferry booked Ancona -> Igoumenitsa 10/4, and Pireaus -> Heraklion on 12/4.

upload_2019-2-28_9-53-39.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
Unfortunately no Greece for us this year but hope you all have a great time.

I can smell that lamb on the spit as we speak. :)

Pete

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Very envious of all of you. We'd love to go to the Greek islands in Pug.
We just don't have the time yet. We've decided to wait till we can do longer than 3 weeks.
Please post plenty pictures of your adventures, then we can be there vicariously.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Is anyone off to Greece in April in time for Greek Orthodox Easter? St Georges Day celebrations will be delayed until Easter Monday because April 23rd falls before Easter, so it should be a good weekend for festivals and processions, I am hoping.
Am I missing something ? Easter is 19th April= Good friday ?
22nd April for the UK , is Easter monday

worky

Free Member
Mar 6, 2008
worcester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2008
Am I missing something ? Easter is 19th April= Good friday ?
22nd April for the UK , is Easter monday

hya - yes !!! :) Greek Orthodox Easter is later than UK - 26th Good Friday 28th/29th Easter Sunday/Monday
cheers

Clyde

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
@gus-lopez

https://publicholidays.gr/easter/

Orthodox Easter is considered to be one of the most important holiday on the Greek calendar. Commemorating not only the crucifixion and resurrection, Easter is considered to mark the passing of winter to spring.

Year Date Day Holiday
2019 26 Apr Fri Orthodox Good Friday
28 Apr Sun Orthodox Easter Sunday
29 Apr Mon Orthodox Easter Monday

Nov 25, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2006
We’re booked on the Venice to Patras ferry on the 3rd of April. Hoping to spend a couple of months exploring the Peloponnese and mainland. Anyone have any recommendations for the mainland? I am also trying to find a church full of Christian relics that we stumbled across many years ago when we were on the Peloponnese. Does anyone know where it is? (The church not the island).
Richard

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Having had a boat in Greece for 30 years I now miss the country and we do not have long enough on each trip with the MH to make it worth going so far.

My best memory of a Greek Easter was when we were moored right outside the taverna in a small harbour called Vathy on the west side of Methana peninsula. They had put out extra tables on the quay and my crewmate and I shared one with a nice English couple off the next boat who live in Athens.

The sun shone, the wine flowed, the lamb was excellent and the view across the little harbour to the fishermens' cottages surrounded by Bouganvillia was idyllic.

A blissful day.

Geoff

Nov 13, 2017
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
I'd forgotten about Greek Easter being late and booked flights back to the boat in Preveza on 28th April months ago:doh:.
We may go in the MH instead but it depends on the outcome of Br***t, and how many days we're allowed out of the U.K.
@nicholsong I'm pretty sure we've been there! It's tiny and very pretty. We spent a couple of nights there a couple of years ago then went to Aegina where we were storm bound for six days before we went through the canal.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Year before last we spent a month driving through Greece in the motorhome, mostly staying alongside beaches or on small marinas. We did however spoil ourselves and stayed a few nights at https://www.gythiocamping.gr/en/ which is an ACSI site and is a great area to look around. We'll be there again for a few days this June. :gum:

Pete

SOOZANDIAN

Free Member
Jun 7, 2015
ABERDEEN
Funster No
MH
Rimmer Ahorn
Exp
Since 2013
We are heading to Greece also for April & plan to be exploring for a couple of months. Never been to Greece before, so grateful for the info .

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Having had a boat in Greece for 30 years I now miss the country and we do not have long enough on each trip with the MH to make it worth going so far.

My best memory of a Greek Easter was when we were moored right outside the taverna in a small harbour called Vathy on the west side of Methana peninsula. They had put out extra tables on the quay and my crewmate and I shared one with a nice English couple off the next boat who live in Athens.

The sun shone, the wine flowed, the lamb was excellent and the view across the little harbour to the fishermens' cottages surrounded by Bouganvillia was idyllic.

A blissful day.

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Like yourselves we sailed around the Greek Islands for many years, Vathi is a beautiful small harbour to put into, well protected with some excellent tavernas and lovely walks.
Did you by any chance own a Nicholson? lovely boats.

Nov 13, 2017
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
Sadly we will miss the Easter celebrations as too much to do here and won’t be able to leave before 23 April.
Probably get the Ancona - Igoumenitsa ferry on 29th or 30th. Depending how long it takes us to get down there. Boat is being launched on 1 May so must be there by then!

SOOZANDIAN

Free Member
Jun 7, 2015
ABERDEEN
Funster No
MH
Rimmer Ahorn
Exp
Since 2013
We’re still in Italy- underestimated the traveling times between stops in Italy & not to mention the roads! Plan to book the ferry from Bari to Greece for Wednesday 24th April.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We cross Bari to patras 14th May and will be doing a thread of our 3 month Greek exploration...

Might bump into some of you guys parked on an idyllic beach somewhere.

SOOZANDIAN

Free Member
Jun 7, 2015
ABERDEEN
Funster No
MH
Rimmer Ahorn
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Tony_g, still in Italy we are booked on the Bari ferry Saturday night. We will be staying at Vieste on an ACSI site until then.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back