PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for this. Hopefully more clarification on length of ban to follow. Our trip now looks in jeopardy. Keeping cool with a stiff upper lip.

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
More detail here but no timescales yet:

Today's meeting at the Maksimos Palace, in the presence of the Prime Minister, Kyriakos Mitsotakis and a number of Government Ministers and Deputy Ministers, was concluded.

As stated - inter alia - at the meeting, after intensive preparation, public hospital wards are put in place which are exclusively for the treatment of cases of coronavirus infection. Also added 70 people for the operation of the number 1135 which, after being informed, will be made available to the public.

More specifically, during the meeting it was decided:
Interruption of road, sea and air links with Albania and Northern Macedonia, with the exception of the carriage of goods and the entry of those who are of Greek nationality or reside in Greece.
The interruption of the ferry transport to and from Italy for passengers. The transport of goods continues.
Prohibition of cruise ships and sailboats in Greek ports
Air links to Spain are interrupted.
Concerted efforts have been made with foreign embassies to have Greece supply masks in the coming days from countries that have reserves.
In addition to the other legal consequences, fines of 5,000 will be imposed on those who display anti-social behavior in breach of the measures announced.
The political and parliamentary offices of the ND members were suspended.
Mitsotakis pressed the Archbishop to close the churches
At the same time, Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis has contacted Archbishop Hieronymos and has asked the Priests to remain open only for individual worship and for performing the necessary sacraments to the minimal world. The matter will be discussed at tomorrow's extraordinary session of the Holy Synod.
Ways to avoid overcrowding in super markets and popular markets were also discussed.
The government is determined to take whatever measures are needed to protect citizens' health. Citizens must also show maximum individual and social responsibility.
The meeting was attended by the Minister of State George Gerapetritis, the Deputy Minister of Health Vassilis Kontozamanis, the Deputy Minister of State besides the Prime Minister, in charge of the Government's Project Coordination, Akis Scheritkos, General Politician Dimitrios Gritsimos Gritsikos Dimitrios, Professor Litos Prime Minister's Diplomatic Bureau Eleni Sourani and Prime Minister's Secretary General Grigoris Dimitriadis. Deputy Prime Minister and Government Spokesman Stelios Petsas and close associates of the Prime Minister also participated in a video call.
Source: iefimerida.gr

We have Greek residency so theoretically can enter, however how we would get there is another question! Plus once there, even if we are allowed to launch the boat, we wouldn't be allowed to enter any ports.

For us it's an inconvenience but it is going to leave thousands of Greeks who rely on their income from seasonal tourism in a very bad place.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
I couldn't find any announcements on the Anek Ferries website relating to the virus and travel so I contacted them and it seems that they haven't changed anything within their policies. Here is the answer
Dear Sirs,
following your e-mail request, kindly be informed that cancellations can be made at the travel agency, port agency, Premium Sales Agent or at the offices of the Company where reservation and payment were made.
Depending on the time of cancellation and in relation to the travel date, the following amounts are refunded:

• A 100% refund, up to 22 days prior to departure.

• A 80% refund, from 21 days up to 8 days prior to departure.

• A 50% refund, from 7 days to 24 hours prior to departure.

• The Company has no obligation to refund in case of cancellations made less than 24 hours prior to ship’s departure or if the passenger does not report at check-in.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Parrot Face that’s practically the same as I saw on Minoan’s website.
Our Ancona - Igoumenitsa ferry is booked for 26th April so we have decided we will wait until the beginning of April then take a view on it. It’s very likely we will cancel before the 22 day deadline as this is going to go on for months.
My mate is flying in to Greece to meet up with us for 10 days so I feel obliged to wait right up to the deadline but realistically we won't be allowed to travel so I may as well get it over with and cancel within the next few days. Like most of us I was really looking forward to trying somewhere different and had done loads of research.

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
My mate is flying in to Greece to meet up with us for 10 days so I feel obliged to wait right up to the deadline but realistically we won't be allowed to travel so I may as well get it over with and cancel within the next few days. Like most of us I was really looking forward to trying somewhere different and had done loads of research.
I doubt your mate will be allowed to travel either plus as of yesterday the Greeks have brought in a 14day quarantine for new arrivals.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Viamare have told us we can get full refund or change to open tickets but must do so before 03/04. We are due to set off on 19/04 and cross on ferry the 28th. I'm going to make a decision at the end of this month and it's almost certain we will cancel as all countries are still edging up the curve. Will put it off until next year.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Well that's it for after today's Goverment anouncment. We have now cancelled our Greece trip for this year and hopefully do it next year. Hopefully get into Europe for a few weeks in September.

Captain Pants

Free Member
Dec 19, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg PVC
Exp
Since 1982
Viamare have told us we can get full refund or change to open tickets but must do so before 03/04. We are due to set off on 19/04 and cross on ferry the 28th. I'm going to make a decision at the end of this month and it's almost certain we will cancel as all countries are still edging up the curve. Will put it off until next year.

Incredibly no current information on ViaMare home page, office has closed so all enquiries by email only. Hope I get a response (and refund) and this isn’t ominous?

There must be a limit to the number of cancellations any travel company can sustain before going under? Anybody dealing in Italian destinations/routes are at the epicentre of the misery. :( Given the extraordinary circumstances I’d be happy for them to retain my payment as a credit against a future booking rather than lose them in the longer-term.

Last edited:

Nomadian

Free Member
Feb 21, 2020
Not up Jim’s arse like some
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
More than some less than others
Incredibly no current information on ViaMare home page, office has closed so all enquiries by email only. Hope I get a response (and refund) and this isn’t ominous?

There must be a limit to the number of cancellations any travel company can sustain before going under? Anybody dealing in Italian destinations/routes are at the epicentre of the misery. :( Given the extraordinary circumstances I’d be happy for them to retain my payment as a credit against a future booking rather than lose them in the longer-term.

that’s ok as long as this whole episode doesn’t drag on and they go under anyway? Then you Definitely won’t get a refund or a future booking. Damned if tha does an damned if tha dunt ?

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I spoke with Dorina yesterday and no indication anything was wrong at office. They may be very busy dealing with cancelled sailings hence email responses only. Hopefully, they will put out a statement soon to reassure their customers.

Captain Pants

Free Member
Dec 19, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg PVC
Exp
Since 1982
that’s ok as long as this whole episode doesn’t drag on and they go under anyway? Then you Definitely won’t get a refund or a future booking. Damned if tha does an damned if tha dunt ?

You’re probably right, I think the message in similar circumstances has to be don’t wait and see how things turn out, if undecided, cancel asap to improve your chances of getting your cash back.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Cancelled my trip with Anek yesterday. Got an email saying that the money could take up to 30 days before its in my account. Plenty of time for them to become bankrupt and go into liquidation?

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
We've not cancelled yet, as we're not due to cross with Anek (Ancona - Patras) till 6th June, but obviously assessing the situation daily and keeping all our options open.

Pete

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
AC/DC
There will be a clause somewhere in the ferry terms and conditions.
And glad to hear (and you're not alone) that someone feels there's a complete overeaction to this, and what's the real problem they want us to over look?

View attachment 369033
I don't think that the government's of the world would be destroying their economies or putting in place such drastic measures if this virus was just like annual flu..Still there are a few on here that obviously know better.BUSBY.

Captain Pants

Free Member
Dec 19, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg PVC
Exp
Since 1982
Playing Devils advocate surely if you turn up at the ferry port/toll booth and prove negative for the virus then the ferry company and/or road provider have failed in their obligation to provide a service on the receipt of payment? You do not have any infectious disease and therefore do not pose any threat to the civilised western world, what validation would support their not providing a service to you? Before anyone else jumps in, we do have vested interest as we have booked a ferry, campsite and tickets for the Dutch GP and looks like we wont have a leg to stand on if the event is postponed to a later date although Stenna have said that we can change our dates without penalty the day AFTER we forked up £70 just in case to change dates! Yes some people may die from contacting Corona just as some may die from Measles, influenza,. shingles, asthma, cancers or even a Bee sting, its part of life,! We all do our best to avoid them but the whole purpose of a virus or disease is to find, attack and of need be kill the host. Why are governments going over the top to deflect news stories away from other pressing issues? Greece/Italy/Spain even the USA are still billions of euros/Dollars in debt and beset by *illegal/Mexican migrants , what a great way to wipe out the national debt and deflect the news issues away from the migrant crisis by declaring a European/world wide crisis and get additional funding from international banking to ease the situation in that particular country In the UK whatever your politics we have a Boris in charge who is notorious for deflecting issues be it over children or climate change or partners.! Throw money that we haven't got at problems that 5 or 10 years down the line you can blame on previous administrations. I don't think he has ever answered a question truthfully in his life he is a master at deflecting the question with the bumbling idiot persona The USA has Trump who just shouts people down with repeated phrases and we all get sucked into the lies and rhetoric. At the risk of being labelled a conspiracy theorist does not the whole Corona 19 virus seem a convenient way of distracting the general public away from more pressing matters? Yes it is a problem but compared to other diseases and taken as to its mortality there are more lethal and deadly issues out there? Basic hygiene is the order of the day coughs and sneezes spread diseases, put it into context , anyone want to buy 100 toilets rolls ? My political thinking if anyone is interested is conservative with a small c . Encourage free enterprise, reward hard work and have the minimum state control but recognise endeavour. Please put things into properer perspective Its 2020's distraction tactics. Rant over!

I think the global conspiracy theorist label is appropriate, but whatever may or may not be underneath it all, it’s got a destructive life of its own now and will continue to escalate for some time in human and economic terms. The scenes at Asda this morning were genuinely shocking/scary and undermined all attempts to control the spread of the virus by social distancing. That scene must be repeating all over the world 24/7 at the moment.

Captain Pants

Free Member
Dec 19, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg PVC
Exp
Since 1982
Received a helpful email from Dorina at Viamare this morning. Refunds only applicable for sailings prior to 30 April, but later bookings hopefully able to apply for open tickets for use at a later time. Viamare still waiting for further information from ferry operators at this stage

Jul 13, 2011
Stoney Stanton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2010
We have a ferry booked for the end of August, Ancona to Igoumenitsa, keeping our fingers crossed, and everything else:cautious:

Jun 3, 2018
Funster No
Anyone have any thoughts on driving through Serbia/Macedonia?i mean to get to Greece. Reasons for or against? The mileage is not that different.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Met the only other uk plate yesterday since we have been in france i think in kaysersberg who were off to greece via ancona.
About an hour after they left news came on about brits on flights not being let in
No knowledge of whether sea entry is possible but the news was specific about flights

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back