Greater Manchester low emissions zone, affects most pre 2016 Motorhomes from May 2023 (1 Viewer)

Dec 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW Crafter Self Conv
The whole thing stinks to me.

Large businesses (DPD, UPS etc) will all have a high enough turnover of vehicles that by 2023 their fleet will be new enough to be exempt from the charges. Private car drivers will be exempt from the charges, so the only people who pay will be the small businesses who have invested in vehicles and looked after them to make them last (and motorhomers of course). Think your local gardener etc. and all the people who can least afford to upgrade.

The planet is burning, and encouraging people to scrap their perfectly serviceable vehicles to buy new ones (which all the resources and energy that uses) is lunacy.

I've cycled to work in Manchester my whole life, Ive never driven. When the scheme is implemented, I'll still be riding along chugging diesel fumes from all the private car owners and other exempt vehicles, but when I drive 1 mile to the motorway on a Friday evening i'll get charged!

At initial consultation stage there was an online calculator, which clearly indicated that motorhomes would not be charged. They've clearly done a u-turn on this with no explanation.

Controversially, I'd be quite happy to see an emmisions charge levied at all motorised users, as the positive impact on air quality and the streetscape would be immense, but applying the charge to just a small number of users who are caught in the middle between 'private car owners' and 'big business' seems pretty unfair.

I have a T5 transporter that is registered as a motorhome, and a larger full motorhome that is not registered (stuck in the current debacle of the DVLA refusing to register stuff). So based on the initial consultation id have only been charged for the larger one that gets used less frequently. Now that landscape has changed quite a bit.

Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
So is a MoHo classed as a commercial?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Sounds like PVCs have to pay £60, as DVLA have de-facto decided with no legislative input not to re-register any original van as a motorhome. They claim this gives no disadvantage, but here is one clear as day.

OP
OP
W
Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
Sounds like PVCs have to pay £60, as DVLA have de-facto decided with no legislative input not to re-register any original van as a motorhome. They claim this gives no disadvantage, but here is one clear as day.
Not if they're under 3.5t nor if they're over but registered as a private HGV, then it's £10

However finding out is hard work

Mine is 3500kg but box J on the V5C is blank and the online checker just reads no information for type of vehicle

Mrs Drago35uk

Funster
Sep 2, 2015
Newhey
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
10 years
<Broken link removed> - please complete the consultation survey.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back