Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Home education can be a bit of a challenge, but it's been made so much easier by the web, this medium has definitely helped us go from home-ed to University. But it's not all good out there. Here's a new way to learn multiplication :roflmto::roflmto: Pay attention at the back I'll be asking questions later:giggler:

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
He mentioned the sleeping bag and there I was zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think he must have read a book once about how to remember things, because behind his waffle the basis of what he is trying to do is well established. He is just not very good at explaining it. It is the method used by many people who enter memory competitions. The idea, with numbers, is to associate the number with some image, so the number 2 could be a swan, 4 could be a yacht, but my understanding is you have to make the image stand out, so the swan has to be the biggest and brightest swan imaginable. The other numbers also have an image associated with them and to be blunt sexual images work well for most people! You then just imagine drifting through a scene where these images existing, so for the number 24 you float past a giant swan then a huge yacht with bright sails. Obviously remembering a two digit number isn't hard, but a 12 digit number?

You just have to learn what image works best for you for each number.
For names or words some sort of image can also be associated but it's a trick which needs a lot of practice. There are whole books written on memory tricks. Those written by Tony Buzan are quite readable.

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
What a load of absolute bo!!ocks. Learn your times tables, then take the golf club and use it to stuff the sleeping bag down that daft buggers (anatomical site of your own choice)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Here's another suggested way of remembering numbers - quite a lot different: http://www.memory-improvement-tips.com/remembering-numbers.html These are not easy methods to master, despite what the blurb suggests, but with practice it can be done.
The concept is not unlike how wine "experts" try to remember the taste of a wine. How can you describe a taste and smell? It's something abstract but if you say "it tastes like raspberries and smells like old socks" others might stand a chance of understanding it. Its the same with numbers and words - try and link them to something which can be remembered, visually if possible.

This page suggests a way of remembering a full deck of cards in less than a minute - it takes a massive amount of practice of course but again the concept is the same, link what you are trying to remember with something visual and easier to remember. http://fourhourworkweek.com/2013/02...uffled-deck-of-cards-in-less-than-60-seconds/

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
:swear: JIM.. !!!!!
Stop making me watch American dribble... :sicker:
Hearing the word "MATH" is enough on it's own...

Now going to get a life, Watch Rachel on Countdown (Now! she is good with figures) and nod off to Tipping point..

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Omg....... That's why I never got times tables at school! I was doing it all wrong. :rofl:
Nothing to do with hating maths , being petrified incase I got the wooden blackboard rubber thrown at me, for getting it wrong.
I learnt the (hard ones ) times tables by singing them with the kids , in the car, from a cassette! When they were in primary.
Must go and check on my home made fish pie in the oven. Mmmmmm is it tea time yet ?

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Omg....... That's why I never got times tables at school! I was doing it all wrong. :rofl:
Nothing to do with hating maths , being petrified incase I got the wooden blackboard rubber thrown at me, for getting it wrong.
I learnt the (hard ones ) times tables by singing them with the kids , in the car, from a cassette! When they were in primary.
Must go and check on my home made fish pie in the oven. Mmmmmm is it tea time yet ?
Ooooooo I love fish pie is your maths good enough to share:)

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
:whatthe:

Apparently, he was about to record a video explaining 51534 x 34876, until someone pointed out that by the time he got to the last digit of the answer there was a good chance that the human race would have already been wiped out by the next ice age.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Would 9 x 4 be the same as 4 x 9 ?

Deleted User
Commutative!

I can remember numbers quite well(used to be good at sums) but I cannot remember names and associating things with numbers would confuse the hell out of me.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I think I live in a different universe .

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Yes, the answer is a big bottom (3) and an open padlock (6). Keep up! Now I have to get the image of the big bottomed lady unlocking her shed out of my head. :sick:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Yes, the answer is a big bottom (3) and an open padlock (6). Keep up! Now I have to get the image of the big bottomed lady unlocking her shed out of my head. :sick:

And I'm thinking of one of the Janet and John stories - the one where John gets his tv in the shed fixed....

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
And I'm thinking of one of the Janet and John stories - the one where John gets his tv in the shed fixed....
Our neighbours are called Janet & John and I don't take the piss at all. Much

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
Simple answer Go ask Dad: still works to this day:rofl: